Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchasing my clutch fork today and I wanted to see if there was a certain application that works best for my setup. I did some reading and it looks like some camaro guys have issues. I have a 69 Nova with a chevy 427 big block and the lakewood blow proof bellhousing with a McLoed dual friction clutch setup and a HAYS flywheel. I also have the origonal GM engine perches. The engine is allready in the car with the bell on it and fit no problems whatsoever.I wanted to install the Super T10 tonight but need the clutch fork.Also if I have to order the clutch fork can the fork be installed after the trans is in or should I do it befor.Any suggestions appreciated....Thankyou....Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about clutch fork part number 3892632 I see that posted allot,theres also PN 340278.Oh I also went with the 12"clutch but I wouldnt think that would matter. So theres no way to slip the fork through the side of the bell onto the throwout bearing with the engine and trans both installed.If not I'll just wait until I have the fork...Thankyou...Dave

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
with aftermarket parts i've seen where the specs stack wrong for some guys and issues occur... thinner flywheels, thinner/thicker bell housings, taller/shorter clutches etc... all these things can move the clutch finger location closer or farther away than stock location... in all cases the pedal/fork geometry should be checked prior to final assembly to ensure there are no issues... an adjustable pivot is used in some cases to correct the geometry issue or a taller T/O is used. normally just the pivot will correct the issue, sometimes the pivot and the bearing are needed.

here's the taller pivot if needed:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCL-16908/

and this is the ONLY tall bearing that should be used (if needed)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-N1466/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TMK-G1625C/

T/O bearing may not be needed... pivot too... geometry should really be checked to confirm prior to reassembly. if geometry is off, pedal pressure will be excessive, possible bending/breaking of Zbar/linkage can occur and it's possible the clutch won't be able to be fully/properly adjusted.

99.999% of the time these issues arise from using aftermarket components... bell housing, flywheel & clutch (not as much with clutch, mostly due to FW & BH)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the trans bearing retainer & input shaft have to slide through the T/O bearing to install. there's no maneuvering room to install fork onto pivot with trans installed... just won't work that way... install fork/bearing prior to trans installation...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
a std, stock replacement fork is what most guys use... no real "special" fork is needed... stock replacement is perfect... just make sure you get a 3rd genner fork.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the trans bearing retainer & input shaft have to slide through the T/O bearing to install. there's no maneuvering room to install fork onto pivot with trans installed... just won't work that way... install fork/bearing prior to trans installation...

Ok gotcha...Thankyou I'll wait until I have the fork.I dont want to get ahead of myself, I'm just excited to get it in :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a std, stock replacement fork is what most guys use... no real "special" fork is needed... stock replacement is perfect... just make sure you get a 3rd genner fork.
Do you have a part number by any chance for the 3rd genner fork...Thanks....Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts