Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now my car has a 16" 4 blade fan with direct drive with no clutch. My shroud is 20" in diameter. It has a big radiator in it and a 180' thermostat. If I sit in traffic is get up to 190' and running down the road it runs 180'.
Question is did these cars come with clutch fans? If so how many blades? I want to change the fan before changing a radiator.

What's everyone's thoughts?

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,017 Posts
To answer your question , no they did not come with clutch fans. Clutches were created to reduce warm up times and increase fuel mileage. They are a great addition to most Hot Rods. If I had a 20" shroud I would want at least a 19" fan inside.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
good luck

Ive had nothing but good luck with clutch fans. 64 I had stayed cooler with one compared to any electric fan I tried while in Las Vegas. Same thing with my 66 wagon, and now thinking about getting rid of the flex fan in my 65 for one as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The hottest it gets is 190? That doesn't seem too bad to me!!

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Placing something between the fan blade and drive pulley is just one more opportunity for FAIL! :yes:

Clutch mechanisms have, do and will fail. Why do you think they sell "replacements"?

Bolt the blade to the water pump. It's been done that way for decades and it always works. :yes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What was factory?

Reason for clutch fan is when idling the fan wouldn't sound like a plane. LOL

They make thermal and non thermal...

190' it spits out a little antifreeze from the cap. I am going to change the cap also. I would rather see it at 160' to 170' not 190' or 200'

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
well....

Placing something between the fan blade and drive pulley is just one more opportunity for FAIL! :yes:

Clutch mechanisms have, do and will fail. Why do you think they sell "replacements"?

Bolt the blade to the water pump. It's been done that way for decades and it always works. :yes:
if you look at it like that, you wouldnt go outside much. EVERYTHING fails at some point. My 77 pickup had the same clutch fan on it until this summer. Thats pretty good as far as I can tell

·
Registered
151 Posts
What was factory?

Reason for clutch fan is when idling the fan wouldn't sound like a plane. LOL

They make thermal and non thermal...

190' it spits out a little antifreeze from the cap. I am going to change the cap also. I would rather see it at 160' to 170' not 190' or 200'
If it pukes at 190, your cap is bad, Replace it first, running at 160-170 is not ideal... 180 185 is a good place too be...

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I have a 4 blade... do i need a 5 or 7 blade? Which one works better?
5 is good, 7 is obviously better. There are a few members using an old Cadillac 7 blade fan and no clutch.

if you look at it like that, you wouldnt go outside much. EVERYTHING fails at some point. My 77 pickup had the same clutch fan on it until this summer. Thats pretty good as far as I can tell
And when was the last time you've seen a fan blade fail?

The only way it will fail is if the belt breaks, but then even a clutch fan won't turn.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think i will replace the cap and fan right now... leave the 180' thermostat in it. If it stays at 180' that is fine. By the way i was driving it in 75-80 deg days... not 100. LOL

If it didn't come with clutch fans than a clutch fan is out! I was thinking of a 5 blade and going bigger but was afraid it would sound like a plane so if clutch fans were optional i would put one on it.

I just don't want to put a aluminum radiator in it...

·
Registered
20,118 Posts
Nothing the matter with 190 at all. It's good to put a little heat into the engine and dry it out. Also if you are running aluminum heads they need a little heat int them.:yes:

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I think i will replace the cap and fan right now... leave the 180' thermostat in it. If it stays at 180' that is fine. By the way i was driving it in 75-80 deg days... not 100. LOL

If it didn't come with clutch fans than a clutch fan is out! I was thinking of a 5 blade and going bigger but was afraid it would sound like a plane so if clutch fans were optional i would put one on it.

I just don't want to put a aluminum radiator in it...
Are you trying to keep this original?

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Yes... trying to keep the original look.
Okay, gotcha!

Well I don't know enough about Novas so I can't tell you if a clutch was optional but I do know my Pontiacs and I know Pontiacs came with a clutch. (That's why I know they go bad)

On a performance stand-point I would recommend a flex fan or, as mentioned, one of those Caddy fans with no clutch.

B.T.W.: Clean engine compartment!

·
Registered
20,118 Posts
Could always get a flex fan and paint it or have it powdercoated black so it looks more original.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
And when was the last time you've seen a fan blade fail?

The only way it will fail is if the belt breaks, but then even a clutch fan won't turn.
I actually did see a blade break off a fan and slice into the hood like a knife. Granted it was on an old farm truck but it can and did happen.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I actually did see a blade break off a fan and slice into the hood like a knife. Granted it was on an old farm truck but it can and did happen.
Actually, aside from the old aftermarket flex blades, I remember one of the manufacturers (back then there were really only 3) had a similar problem that required a recall.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts