Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread here, instead of just whining about it in the BS section, 'cause I may need some help with it before I'm done.

I've been driving my '71 almost every day since my kids came home from college and repo'ed their cars. For the past week or 2 I have noticed that the clutch gets harder to depress after driving for a while. Today I was at the store and it totally went out on me. Takes HUGE effort to push the pedal down and even then the clutch is not fully disengaged. Managed to limp home in 2nd gear using the old "turn it off" at the stop light and "start in gear" when it turns green.

I disconnected the Z-bar and everything up to the fork works fine, so I KNOW it is inside the scatter shield!:( ...That leaves the fork, the throwout bearing, and the pressure plate itself as possible culprits. That also means I get to drop the tranny in the driveway and try reaching up inside that little hole in the back of the scatter shield to see if I can tell what may be wrong.:mad:

Maybe I'm getting too old for this..................:bored:

Veno! If you're reading this...GET A LIFT!!!:devil:

Dave

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Yep sounds like the fork and throwout are binding up on the input shaft, but even this could be other things, like a pilot bushing causing it. At least it's not a 400 you have to lower out on your back!:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If there are now funny noises, my money is on the bearing retainer. Cheap and easy fix once the tranny is out.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the bearing retainer? Is thatpart of the throwout bearing?

Anyhoo....I have the front up on stands now. I will try unbolting the driveshaft from the diff and leaving the yolk in the tranny. Maybe I can unbolt the tranny and then shove it and the driveshaft out under the rear.

I hope I can figure out what went wrong when I reach into that hole in the back of the shield. There are about 25 !! bolts in the shield, I think.:eek:

dave

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Veno! If you're reading this...GET A LIFT!!!:devil:

Dave
just put the down payment on it today.. a date of build 09/24/1996.. 100% made in the USA challenger 9k lift ALI certified.....

the thing is so heavy it's sinful... I had my choice of several.. some a new as 1 year old. but they were made in china and private labeled... they were 3/8" cable equalizers.. the challenger lift was built with .25" wall collums and the equalizer was a 3/4"x 1.25" link chain....

2k installed...

it will be installed the end of this month:D...

as for your clutch.... if its a diaphragm.... they can bind like you have described.... check the fork tho... if the fork is bending..... that could be a problem as well..... I have seen a OEM fork cause this.. it bent with a heavy spring pressure plate...

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya its a diaphram type and it does have a stock fork. I should have it out tomorrow AM (if I get up and get hot!) ...

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Are you sure the fork is good? I have had two that looked great from the outside and were cracked right at the pivot ball in the scatter shield. The fork would flex when pushed down and not disconnect the pressure plate and disk. That causes the throw out bearing to push crooked on the pressure plate and cause binding.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know yet. I hope to get a look at it today before it gets too hot out there.

Dave

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
im wondering if its the clutch itself im may be going bad if it is a dual friction type they seem to wear pretty quick on one side or the other from excessive heat build up

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Break Time!:D OK...the tranny is out so I can get to the fork and throwout bearing, and they look OK to me. Megabummer!:mad: Sure would have been nice if that had been the problem.:rolleyes:

I guess that only leaves the pressure plate/clutch. It is a Centerforce II and it is behind a scatter shield that has TOO MANY bolts!:bored:

Stay tuned...

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
The bearing retainer is bolted to the transmission. It is what the throw out bearing slides on. If there are grooves in it, it needs to be replaced. They can develope a small lip on the end and the throw out bearing will hang up on it.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So its the smooth part behind the splined portion of the input shaft? That looks OK...no lip or grooves.

It's odd that back when this first started, it would only show up after driving for a while. I was thinking it would be in the Z-bar linkage 'cause it runs so close to the header.

Dave

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Funny I had this exact same problem and chalked it up to heat on the linkage causing flexing. Never really solved it just lived with it until i put an auto in.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Andy...it has to be in the clutch/pressure plate itself 'cause everything else is OK. I was pretty much pooped by the time I got the scattershield off so I called it a day. I will get under there tomorrow AM and pull everything else off. I did notice that the weights in the Centerforce pressure plate were way off center...

See what I mean? I don't know if that means anything but I will check it out tomorrow.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to wrap this thread up....................

I installed a McLeod Street Pro clutch and pressure plate yesterday. Took almost a week for it to get in, slow service compared to Summit, but I appreciate the local business and service. It feels fine. A little different feel from the Centerforce, but not much. Mostly it does not have that vibrartion and resistance to shifting that the CF had. I also made up a clutch return spring that I did not have before. Had to make up a bracket because of the headers. So far so good!

So I'm back on the road again!:D

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts