Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like my brand new center force clutch is not adjusted properly. With the clutch pedal pushed all the way down to the floor, as I slowly let the clutch pedal out it only engages at the top of the travel. I have one inch of pedal play. Seems like all my previous clutches engaged much sooner in about the middle of the travel up. I have an adjustable pivot ball also. What should I do to make it right? Thanks, Jack

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Jack, you should have 1/4" of clearance between the face of the T/O bearing and the fingers. this allows for expansion with heat. it's very possible the issue arises from the adjustable pivot being slightly off it's sweet spot. might be off a little this way or that which still allows actuation but changes the leverage points.

take a look under the car and see if the pivot is accessible with the trans installed. if it's not then the trans will need to be removed. the front bearing retainer on the trans can be removed for mock up purposes, it helps if a spare input shaft is available for this procedure too... install the input shaft and bearing retainer, fork & T/O assembly. jack up and support the bell housing and re-install all your linkage. now you can climb into the car and actuate the clutch. you can check the pedal travel, actuation/release levels of the clutch etc. any pivot adjustments needed will be quick and easy...

is this an 1-1/8" x 10 spline clutch disc? or is it 1-1/8" x 26 splines?

just asking in case you need to borrow an input shaft for mock ups.

if you can drive the car now and pedal pressures are NOT excessive, it sounds as if the geometry is off but in the higher leverage not the lower. if it was the opposite way you'd be bending/breaking Zbar levers, tweaking rods etc...

it's going to take some looking at and adjustments to get it right... any assistance/help i can offer, i'll do what i can... best of luck...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
you're welcome Jack...

i saw ya caught it over there. let me know here/there if i can help ya. either way you know how to get a hold of me. ;)

be well my friend... "Hi" to yer Sweetie too! :D

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you're welcome Jack...

i saw ya caught it over there. let me know here/there if i can help ya. either way you know how to get a hold of me. ;)

be well my friend... "Hi" to yer Sweetie too! :D
Done and right back at Ya....Judy / Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts