Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I bought a cheap harbor freight timing gun (I know, I know...) w ith a dial back and can not get this thing timed right.

Info you might need (let me know if more is needed)
454, unilite breakerless distributor (no vacuum advance can), msd 6al, clueless guy :rolleyes:

The car idles about 900rpm, and the timing does not change all the way up to 3000rpm. Right now it runs about 34-38 btdc. The four degrees difference is because the timing mark tends to move around (like at the end of two lane blacktop).

WTH am I doing wrong? I thought you should set timing at idle, and then all the way up until it stops advancing, but mine does not advance with rpm?

ps.
does anyone else find standing that close to a mechanical fan at 3000rpm a little unnerving? :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
A lot of timing lights aren't compatible with the multiple spark of the MSD unit.
If you have no vacuum advance, are you sure you have a working mechanical advance? It might be locked out.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A lot of timing lights aren't compatible with the multiple spark of the MSD unit.
If you have no vacuum advance, are you sure you have a working mechanical advance? It might be locked out.
No I am not. I will need to look into this. Thanks for the suggestion :yes: But is there an easy way to test or tell if it is? Also, is there any problems with running locked out timing on the street, or would I be better off with an HEI with adj vacuum advance?
Does anyone know what lights for sure work with the MSD boxes?

After reading a tiny bit about locked out timing and hard starting, I have a little more info to give. Before tearing down the motor to the short block, the car would crank, and then fire. Now when I hit the ignition, it cranks just a tiny bit, hesitates, and then starts right up. Why would this change?

bill (should have stared in the movie clueless)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bought a timing light with no dial back and the timing is steady now, just waiting on the timing tape to be delivered, but from what I see with what I have, the timing still does not increase with rpm.

Might just pull the distributor and throw in the HEI that Big Al posted a link to as my car is just a street car.

I do have to say though that my eyes burn like crazy after letting the car run for a little while with the garage door open, hope that it is just the car running to rich.....

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Where'd you get the distributor from? Was it new in the box? You should have instructions if it was.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Came with the car. Two owners ago used as a drag car (he built it), the last owner then bought it as an investment and only could remember some of what the previous owner told him, then I bought it and just want to cruise it :yes:

Theres your answer, It is locked out... :yes:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
if its locked out it will be fine just for cruising around town , i wouldnt recomend driving it daily , its more for racing. i posted the same comment in another thread about big block timing

try 38 degrees of timing at 3000 rpms find a nice strech of road to do a w.o.t. pull and check the plugs

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, now I have the HEI in, and timed it. Looks like I have about 17* at idle, then it tops out at 36* at 2500rpm. I assume I should shoot for the timing at 38* coming in finally at 3000rpm.

So would I need heavier springs to get the timing to come in later?

Info
454-.030 over
10.5CR
2800stall
Unknown Hyd cam
any other info needed to help me figure out timing curve? Thanks :yes:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Okay, now I have the HEI in, and timed it. Looks like I have about 17* at idle, then it tops out at 36* at 2500rpm. I assume I should shoot for the timing at 38* coming in finally at 3000rpm.

So would I need heavier springs to get the timing to come in later?

Info
454-.030 over
10.5CR
2800stall
Unknown Hyd cam
any other info needed to help me figure out timing curve? Thanks :yes:
yes switching to a heavier spring will bring in the timing slower

·
Registered
418 Posts
does anyone else find standing that close to a mechanical fan at 3000rpm a little unnerving? :eek:
Many years ago I rev-ed the engine in my old 72 at a stop sign, heard a loud bang and felt the whole car begin to shake. I then noticed something odd about my hood. It had a hole ripped through it where a blade off of the fan had passed through.:eek:
There's no telling how many times I had leaned over that engine from the front and rev-ed it while tuning it. That incident made a believer out of me. Now I always try to stand to the side when reaching over to the throttle.

Be Careful!

·
Registered
347 Posts
forget that. I've seen that myself. Fans, Carb parts when someone accidently hit the nitrous button on an IDLING car... yeup.. . too many parts have fluttered by my head. I use only Elec. Fans now. I need more professional setup probly, but right now I think it'll be ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts