Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gathering parts to build an L-79 spec 327 for my 62 post. I purchased a 1965 283 stock bore block casting #3862194 as a foundation. This block will be bored out to 4" 327 standard bore. I have the right balancer and timing gear cover, forged steel 327 crankshaft, 11/1 pistons and 490 intake so far. I found a good set of 462 heads to have built but then I discovered these. https://www.summitracing.com/search... 175 Cylinder Heads for Small Block Chevrolet

I plan on using the correct 447 lift hydraulic cam, a non specific distributor with pertronix instead of points and maybe a 600 or slightly larger carb. I will be running headers and 2.5" exhaust. Would these aluminum heads (painted Chevy orange) with roller rockers be worth the money in order to upgrade this motor? Anyone have experience with these heads?

FYI the rest of the drive train will be a M21 and a 12 bolt posi with 3.31/1 gears.

I know the title of my post is about cloning an L79 but the urge to squeeze a little more from the motor is getting the best of me:yes:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
There are a few advantages of the aluminum heads over iron. You can get away with more compression and throw a little more timing at it before it starts to detonate. The aluminum disipates and transfers the heat better than iron. They are lighter over the iron...and I’m sure the combustion chamber is of a better design...hardened seats...etc.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Holy hell, those are wickedly cool. Those could be a great way to "sneak" in some performance to an unknowing bystander after fogging them orange. :yes:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a few advantages of the aluminum heads over iron. You can get away with more compression and throw a little more timing at it before it starts to detonate. The aluminum disipates and transfers the heat better than iron. They are lighter over the iron...and I’m sure the combustion chamber is of a better design...hardened seats...etc.
All good points. Engine builder is excited to use them too.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
All good points. Engine builder is excited to use them too.
I would use them. We did something similar years ago where we built a 383 and made it look like a 327/350 hp engine. But it is so much more cost effective to buy a new complete product than rebuilding 50 year old stuff anymore. And when you are done, you still have a head with a 160cc runner compared to the 175 TFS head. Some machine shops are losing money on rebuild costs, but they can pump so many more engines out of the shop using bolt on stuff like this. I will admit, some of the machining on mass produced stuff is not the best, but for the power levels we are looking for it doesn't matter. When I build race engines, I buy all the parts and fit everything. When I build street engines, out of the box is fine. I fully intend to use an out of the box head on the big block to go in my SS396 chevelle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts