Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a probably a dumb question. I am swapping over to a power booster and mc on a 1969 Nova. I cannot get the bolt that holds the clevis to the brake pedal arm off! The metal brace that the brake pedal arm attaches to is in the way. Anyone know what I am talking about or do you need a pic?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The clip is slotted you have gently pry the clip open and slide it off at the same time. RICK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Extracing Brake pedal Clevis Bolt

Kirk I saw your post about getting the clevis bolt out. I have same issue/scenario on my 1969. My bolt head faces to the inside of the car and there's a piece of metal in the way so I can't push it all the way out. Was this your case also?

I got the clip off the bolt but it did not seem like there was enough room on the right side of the pedal to get the bolt out. I did just get it. I just did not pull hard enough before:eek::eek: Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clevis Bolt solved and Solution

So to clarify, I am converting manual 4-wheel drum brakes to 4-wheel disc brakes with power assist. The kit I am using is from Right Stuff.

After removing the driver seat and brake light switch, I was able to get a clear view of the tab that hooks the spring that returns the brake pedal to the UP position. With long needle-nose I removed the spring from the back hole, and using small pry-bar I bent the old clevis out enough to wiggle it off the bolt without spring tension. This is what it looks like disassembled.
Clevis bolt spring and pushrod

Since I need the spring connected to the brake pedal but I want to use the lower bolt hole for the new clevis, I had to remount the spring to the upper hole without the clevis. I rummaged through my cabinet and found a pin I could use with some washers and cotterpin to remount the spring.
Planned replacement of clevis solution

Here is what I see from under the dash before I started installing the pin/washers/cotter pin solution. (Note the spring hole indicated is actually about 1 inch further back - you can see in the final solution.)
Under Dashboard Map Before

After installing the pin and reattaching the spring (use really long needlenose pliers!) this is the final solution.
Final solution with original clevis eliminated

Now all I need to do is re-attach the brake lights switch, attach the new clevis to the power brake booster rod and I'm pretty much done.

Bill

Kirk I saw your post about getting the clevis bolt out. I have same issue/scenario on my 1969. My bolt head faces to the inside of the car and there's a piece of metal in the way so I can't push it all the way out. Was this your case also?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts