Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been a while but have a question. Testing a new wheel/tire combination and found next to zero clearance between tire and leaf spring. With a spacer, may give me about 1/4" between the tire and leaf spring. Is that OK? I don't do any fast turns, most a straight driver, no dragging yet. I have air shock which allows a stiffer drive and a larger tire. thx.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I used to run a 26x10.5x15 Mickey Thompson ET Street on a 15x7 with 4.5" back spacing. With that combo I couldn't fit my pinky finger between the tire and the leaf spring! I never had any rubbing issues, and there were never any marks on the sidewalls. What size wheel and tire are you running? Do you have any room between the body and the tire?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same

Believe it or not, I am trying on a 275 x 15/60 on a 4 1/2 back. I have air shocks and have them pumped up high. I am right up against the front opening of the wheel well, about 1/8" or less from the spring. The top will need to bend the lip. If I do all of the above, I will actually make room for it. Again, the air shocks lift it so there is no clearance problems in the wheel well ( not have to tub). I'll post a picture if I figure out how to do it - have not been on this for awhile.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Believe it or not, I am trying on a 275 x 15/60 on a 4 1/2 back. I have air shocks and have them pumped up high. I am right up against the front opening of the wheel well, about 1/8" or less from the spring. The top will need to bend the lip. If I do all of the above, I will actually make room for it. Again, the air shocks lift it so there is no clearance problems in the wheel well ( not have to tub). I'll post a picture if I figure out how to do it - have not been on this for awhile.
Keep in mind that if you are using air shocks to raise the car for tire clearance, if and when your air shocks leak you will be stuck with a car sitting on its tires! This doesn't sound like a very good idea to me, and could lead to a fairly dangerous situation if this happens while driving the car for yourself, your passengers, and the people arround you.
Curtis

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
heyonebadtwo -- a good point. My plans were not to make this the ultimate lift solution. I do check my air shock lift each time I go out for a ride; I have not gone out with these tires yet. My latest plans are to go with a smaller section tire than what are on these wheels ( they are not mine). They are MT Sportsmans S/R Radials with 10.3 Section width which is an inch thinner than the ones that are on and only .8 inch wider than my MT235 ET Street Drag Radials. For sure I will check the clearance to the body/wheel opening at the different air levels in case air is leaking.
The Sportsmans can fit on my 7.0 ProWeld, but was looking to put them on 8's. I will actually be having a race car builder checking it out soon and will go over all the options. Maybe built up springs/shackle. Thanks for input and open to other possibilities.
I did put a couple pictures in the 275 Album.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That 235 should fit just fine on a 7" wheel with 4.5" back spacing without any lift. I haven't checked the specs on the 235, but if I remember right the 235 BFG Drag Radial had a little narrower section width than the 26x10.5 that I ran. These cars work pretty good with the right combo. I used a Koni drag shock on the front with the Moroso springs, on the rear I used an old school set of slapper bars that hit directly on the spring eye with the snubbers removed and replaced with some big bolts installed and jamb nutted so I could adjust them. My little car ran 7.60's at mid to upper 90's through the traps in the 1/8th, it would hook a 225 shot too, but I never sprayed it at the track. :rolleyes: Now with the newer traction devices that are available like the Cal Trac bars and spit mono leaf springs from Calvert Racing, they are going MUCH, MUCH faster!

·
Registered
909 Posts
WOW ! I cant believe you can even begin to fit that 275-60-15 in there. The car must be jacked sky high. Mine is mini tubbed and four linked and I still had to shoe horn those tires in. I have about 1/2" each side . But my car is as low as the four link allows.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same

HEY ONEBAD - I have 235's now; plenty of room. I was trying the 275's Goodyear DR, but those have a larger width than the MT Sportsman's by about an inch in section.

I think the Sportsman 275/15/60 will fit but again will have to do a little hammering, cutting a wedge at the bottom, and bending the lips. I'll see better when on the rack again. I think I will get a new set of air shocks just to play it safe - they are not expensive; less than a $100 and better peace of mine.

Again, this will not be my final setup - take a look at my album and let me know what you think. Again - the pictures are of the tires that are a bit too big.:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I really like the Gasser/nostalgic look, but not sure if I will attempt that yet, but they are awsome!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey all - thanks for the input and your heads up on the safety - won't do anything crazy. Nothing done yet and will be checking for clearances again. Again, the Sportsman 28's are only about 3/4 inch larger in section width than my 26's 235 MT DR's now. I checked the wheel well clearances and leafsprings and with my air shocks all the way down and still have about 2 1/2 inch clearance (1 1/2 inch to springs and 1 inch to wheel well sides - basing on bending the wheel well fender lips, and cutting a slice off the front of the wheel well. Will be checking all areas when under the rack. I appreciate all your knowledgeable input and will keep you posted. Thx again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
same

Just giving you an update on my 275's/28's under my 64 Nova. The MT Sportsmans were put on my 7 inch Weld Wheels. With a 1/2 cut off the front of the wheel well fender and tapping the wheel well fender nubs in ( I did find a bit of body filler when doing this and will have to do a small fender body repair), I go them in. Interesting that on the passenger side of my fender, I have a larger clearnance than the driver's side. I am grinding down the inside fender mound ( about 1 inch up from the opening) to allow more clearance only on the driver's side. I can actually drive it when I raise the car an inch or so with my air's, but still proceeding with the grind. Again, these are MT's Sportsmans Street Radials, have a 10.3 section width and about 9 inch tread width. Has that 28" height which really looks solid on the early Nova's. Will keep you posted on any new developments.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if you would get a 28" tire on that size - I had the 235's MK Drag Radials before. I did a pretty good slice - will take a photo and put in the folder about these. thx

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have had 275/60/15 and 255/60/15 on my 3rd gen with the same wheels as you have the 275 were TIGGGGHHHT i rubed on all bumps.

255/60/15 fit perfect. it is just over 27" tall

why do you want to fit such a big tire back there anyways??

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree!!! I'm planning on a 295 for my little 64. But I'm going with the CBR 4 link and DSE minitub.
Curtis

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had 275/60/15 and 255/60/15 on my 3rd gen with the same wheels as you have the 275 were TIGGGGHHHT i rubed on all bumps.

255/60/15 fit perfect. it is just over 27" tall

why do you want to fit such a big tire back there anyways??
I did alot of lookings at all the photos in the past and at shows, etc., and I think the 275, 28" 60's looked the best and filled the wheel well without being too radical. I have not had the rubbing problem as yet, but I do have airs. Funny, the one side of my Nova has about an inch or more of side clearance from the outside of the tire and the inner wheel well, the other side is not much at all. Doing some grinding in the inner well. My original thought was to move the springs in, wheel tubs, etc,, but with my calcualtions with the MT Sporstman tires and the 7 " Prowelds, I figured they would squeeze in. I used my friends wheels and tires which show in my photos but they were way too big but I just wnated to use them for sizing purposes, setback, etc. Did you use the Sportmans and their 10.3 section width? the others are in the 11's and 12's which would be a problem.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I used Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials.......but I wanted a race tire.....

my new race tire is a 27x10.5 Hoosier Quicktime Pro or the 28x9 Hoosier Slicks.

I ran both the 275/60 and the 255/60 ET street radials......as for one side having more clearance MOST novas did come like that from the factory. My 3rd gen is also like that!

my problem is i want my car as low as possible with factory wheelwells without cutting any of the car or rolling lips

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
same

As a side note, I took my 64nova to the country and wanted to test it out. I put 100 lbs of weight in the trunk. From a dead stop I was careful not to over rev since I would just burn out. I hit second at a relatively mild 3500-4000 and it started to swerve and I let off. In drive about 50 I punched and it felt like I was on ice on 3rd gear/drive ( 350 Turbo). I cab't really put it too the floor and it feels out of control. Had 3:55's before now have 4:56's and seems overgeared. I think I am going to go with 3:73's and have a bit more control and still can pull. I think I have plenty of torque with the 406. Next going to get some new front shocks ( variable adjust) and see how this helps but I am a bit tired of the 4:56's since I can't really punch it. Anyway, thanks for all your experiences and feel free to share some more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts