Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put this post in my Build thread of the "Reborn" build thread (link to the build in my signature) but since the thread is so large I decided that this modification needed to be more accessable through a quick search.

Maybe it can make it to Sticky Status. I show how I did this in this write up with pictures and even take it one step further and actually show you how its done with a full detailed video on the entire process of the creation.

My idea involved looking for a way to make the front marker lens clear rather than removing them. So after searching many automobile makes and models I found that the 1970 Chevy Nova had a clear lens option. So I got a pair of 70 lenses and decided to experiment.

Putting them side by side I can see that they are pretty much the same size with the 70 marker being a hair larger. The mounting bolt holes are exactly the same.

Heres they are side by side.

So i started on my idea. Getting these yellow ones to work means that the clear ones would work. So after 2 tries, I got it. I found that I can use the 70's marker with the 74 bulb housing with a little modding of course. Heres the comparison between the original 74 marker and the modified 70 marker. The very first attempt/idea was a failed attempt. Lucky I had two 1970 markers to play with. :D

Heres a shot of the first draft of the marker modification using the yellow guinea pig.

After seeing that I was able to successfully make a copy of the 74 marker using the 70 marker, I placed my order for the clear ones.
Heres the clear 70 marker lens.

When I got the clear ones, I repeated the process of modifying the 70 lens. After duplicating the process on the 1970 clear ones, I now had a new set of 74 clear marker lenses to use.

Heres a comparison of the 3. (74 Original, 70 Draft, 70 Clear final)

So to get the second half of the idea to work I had to seperate the original 74 lens from the bulb housing. Seperating the 74 housing was easy with a sharp blade as the two halfs are glued together.

After I got it apart I put the clear lense over the bulb housing. I did not like the look of white that is seen with the clear lens. So After looking at many other modern cars with clear lenses, I decided to make the 74 bulb housing chrome. So I bought chrome spray paint. Knowing that it will not be straight chrome that was ok. Because it was going behind a clear lens, it will still serve its intended purpose.

So after putting it all together, heres the finished product. The lights look 100% factory because the lens itself has the same exact texture and look as the 74's original lense. It was made by Chevrolet so no worries if you are trying to retain the originality look but without the yellow/orange lenses.

Now if you want to take it one step further to remove all of the yellow since the clear lens will show the yellow bulb inside, heres an option to consider. In my search I found that there are Chrome light bulbs that light up yellow. When they are off, they appear silver in color. And when they light up, they are yellow (to comply with local laws:D). The bulbs has dye infused glass. The silver coloring on the glass will not wash off or fade (according to the manufacturer)

The video below shows the entire process behind the making of the clear lenses. Nice action footage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like it came out really nice on your car! I like it.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yep Its basically like taking out the 74 yellow markers and putting in 74 clear markers.
Steve,

Once again you out did yourself!
I was trying to find someone to manufacture new clear lenses for the 73/74.
This will be soooooo much cheaper and it's not above my skills. Thanks for doing the research!
Do you have a link for the chrome bulbs?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve,

Once again you out did yourself!
I was trying to find someone to manufacture new clear lenses for the 73/74.
This will be soooooo much cheaper and it's not above my skills. Thanks for doing the research!
Do you have a link for the chrome bulbs?
Thank you. I love fabbing up inventions. Have been doing it since I was a little boy.

The chrome bulbs you can get from Ebay by typing in Chrome yellow 1157. Than just buy the pack with 2 bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
Steve the work you do IMO is true hot rodding. I watched the older guys in my neighbor hood build hot rods all through the 1950's. When old enough I built cars the same way...determine the modification to be done and find existing parts that will work to do it correctly and safely.
In this age of "kits" it is good to see some imagination and innovation being used to reach the desired goal.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve the work you do IMO is true hot rodding. I watched the older guys in my neighbor hood build hot rods all through the 1950's. When old enough I built cars the same way...determine the modification to be done and find existing parts that will work to do it correctly and safely.
In this age of "kits" it is good to see some imagination and innovation being used to reach the desired goal.
Thank you. I really appreciate your kind words!

·
Registered
364 Posts
... might have to put this on my 'ToDo Over Winter' list ; )

GREAT VIDEO !!

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
very very nice work steve. but they did make a clear lens for 73 74 nova. i have a pair.extremly hard to find. again, very nice work,and the clear on black looks awesome i think.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very very nice work steve. but they did make a clear lens for 73 74 nova. i have a pair.extremly hard to find. again, very nice work,and the clear on black looks awesome i think.

Woah! Where did you find those? Really nice. I searched for months and bnever saw anything not even a mention of anyone selling clear ones.

Since its next to impossible to find, I would assume those would cost alot. (Alot more than making the ones I made lol:devil:)

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Woah! Where did you find those? Really nice. I searched for months and bnever saw anything not even a mention of anyone selling clear ones.

Since its next to impossible to find, I would assume those would cost alot. (Alot more than making the ones I made lol:devil:)
found them on e bay. one at one time the other a year or so later. didnt pay much for them that way. they have the same part # as the orange ones. cant figure out why they made them. i might just make a set like yours and maybe sell these. yours look just as good.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
found them on e bay. one at one time the other a year or so later. didnt pay much for them that way. they have the same part # as the orange ones. cant figure out why they made them. i might just make a set like yours and maybe sell these. yours look just as good.
Just remember that to make the ones I made, you still need the originals. The housing is what you need.

Thats a great idea, I'm sure you will make good money off those clear ones. Thats super rare and you are probably the only one in all of the United States to have them lol

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
now you need some clear sidemarkers

check out my write up on that you can probably make it work for 73+ also lens size just might be different but this will give you an idea

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1720762#post1720762
That would be a great addition to those that want clear side markers. Thanks for sharing.

I did not like my sidemarkers as I wanted a clean body. So I removed them in my restoration build (Side Marker Delete). Even better than clear lol :devil: :p

Heres an old pic.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Trying to find the 70 clear lens

Hey does anyone know where is a good place to order a set of the clear lens i cant seem to find them. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts