Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that my engine is giving me the troubles, i thought i'd focus my attention on some other things i need to do. Most importantly, cleaning the under-carriage. Well maybe not most important, but whatever.
The filthiest of locations is directly under the motor, front suspension parts mainly. There is about a half inch thick, black gunk on all the suspension parts. I'm guessing engine grease/oil/road grime. I can scrape it off with a screwdriver or whatever i can find around the garage, but no "easy" way to get it all off. I've tried pressure washing with the local car wash sprayer, that did nothing. Spraying engine degreaser on a rag, then wiping sorta works. I'm just wondering if their is some miracle chemical, or maybe someone can point me to a good pressure washer.

thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I had the same problem when I got my 74. I drove it to the car wash and blasted off all I could, but it certainly didnt just wash away lol. I had to hold the tip of the sprayer almost against the gunk to knock it off. Then as I disassembled it, I had to use a putty-knife, screwdrivers, etc, to scrape off the heaviest stuff, then a couple of cans of heavy-duty oven cleaner and degreaser and a lotta patience. Try the oven cleaner...it may do the trick. ;) Im not sure how it affects rubber hoses or other vulnerable parts though, so be careful where all you spray it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I asked this same question a few weeks ago... This is the info I used when I tackled mine. I ended up doing the putty knife/screwdriver thing to get the big chunks. Then I went with Super Clean by Castrol. You can get it at Walmart in a gallon jug for about $7.00. Big purple bottle.

Then just load up on papertowels and get in there. :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
WD40 works well to clean, also CRC brake cleaner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts