Chevy Nova Forum banner

Cleaning stripper.

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  sixtyII 
#1 ·
What is the best way to clean stripper off your sheet metal? I was thinking of using a plastic spatula to get the thick stuff off and using a rag with hot soapy water to clean the rest. Will this work ok? Any other ideas? Thanks Jerry.

#5 ·
Stripper

elkenova said:
What is the best way to clean stripper off your sheet metal? I was thinking of using a plastic spatula to get the thick stuff off and using a rag with hot soapy water to clean the rest. Will this work ok? Any other ideas? Thanks Jerry.
On a serious note, the stripper if it good stuff will eat a plastic spatula up, you need a metal putty knife or scrapper to get most of the paint off. Follow it up with coarse steel wool or scotch brite pads. wear rubber gloves and use eye protection, Have fun, its a messy job.

#10 ·
elkenova said:
What is the best way to clean stripper off your sheet metal?
It's best not to run one over with your car to begin with. They're much less likely to perform for you if they're splattered all over your sheetmetal. :D

Sorry, with a thread title like this there's no other way to go with this discussion. :beer:

#13 ·
Elke,

Doing the same thing as we speak. I've found that first use aircraft stripper. Buy a 2" wide metal scraper and a 2" wide plastic scraper. I use the metal scraper to get all the old bondo off and the plastic one for general use. It'll take many attempts since the stripper doesn't penetrate well through the bondo. I've found the best way to deal with it is to lay the stripper on the bondo and cover the area with some plastic film, this way the stripper doesn't dry up!(I can already hear the jokes coming so be prepared!) Make sure you let the stripper sit for at least 15 to 30 minutes so that it penetrates the bondo then scrape like a madman! Oh yeah, steel wool is good to get all the little stuff off but be careful because it loads up pretty quickly and you'll go through a lot of it if you don't try and get as much off with the scraper. One other thing, to keep the mess to a minimum I've found that you can use a small cardboard box to wipe off the paint sludge that develops on your scraper as your working. You just wipe the scraper on the edge of the box and it falls into the box. Good Luck and post some pics of your progress. I'm going to post some progress pics this weekend!:)

#15 ·
novanutcase said:
Elke,

Doing the same thing as we speak. I've found that first use aircraft stripper. Buy a 2" wide metal scraper and a 2" wide plastic scraper. I use the metal scraper to get all the old bondo off and the plastic one for general use. It'll take many attempts since the stripper doesn't penetrate well through the bondo. I've found the best way to deal with it is to lay the stripper on the bondo and cover the area with some plastic film, this way the stripper doesn't dry up!(I can already hear the jokes coming so be prepared!) Make sure you let the stripper sit for at least 15 to 30 minutes so that it penetrates the bondo then scrape like a madman! Oh yeah, steel wool is good to get all the little stuff off but be careful because it loads up pretty quickly and you'll go through a lot of it if you don't try and get as much off with the scraper. One other thing, to keep the mess to a minimum I've found that you can use a small cardboard box to wipe off the paint sludge that develops on your scraper as your working. You just wipe the scraper on the edge of the box and it falls into the box. Good Luck and post some pics of your progress. I'm going to post some progress pics this weekend!:)
What he said.
Also make sure ya got some eye protection. I came really close last summer to making a trip the the ER for being stoopid. Also gloves helps too.
Last dried stripper is a real chore to get off the garage floor.

(This post contains no hidden puns or jokes :D )
Really it doesnt..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.