Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not head the advice. I foolishly and impetuously installed my brandy new gas tank with a sump welded to it WITHOUT testing for leaks with water. Of course, it leaks where the sump is welded on to the tank. There is a tiny tiny tiny pinhole.

Now after draining the tank and removing it from the vehicle I have rinsed it out with water several times (please tell me that the EPA does not read this board :rolleyes: ).

My question is: how "clean" does a tank need to be to repair a weld? Is it sufficient to just drain it and rinse it several times?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I would think that would be ok.Just to be on the safe side rince it a couple more times and call it good.Its not gonna blow up.bm

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
batman09 said:
I would think that would be ok.Just to be on the safe side rince it a couple more times and call it good.Its not gonna blow up.bm
That's about what I figured. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
My dad welded my tank up a couple of times years ago. We washed it out several times with soap and water. If you are really worried he also welded several others by using a lawnmower. He ran the exaust into the tank and let it run for a while. He figured a gas tank full of exaust wouldn't explode.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Do not underestimate the power of gasoline fumes in an enclosed area.

I had a friend who flushed a tank and tried welding and the explosion ripped open the tank and the heat of the blast burned him severely.

I even remember Smokey Yunick commenting about a tank that was flushed, sat for a long time and still exploded when heat was applied.

At work we have a tank flushing solution/station though I can't remember the name. They use a sniffer to detect hydrocarbon.

My advice is to take it to a good gas tank repair place and have them flush it properly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If it's just a tiny tiny pin hole like you say, you might consider getting it relined with a sealer. This is a common practice on older tanks that are rusted and spring a leak. Good Luck...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts