Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
My brother had that installed on his 1971 Nova about 6-8 months ago and the thing went out of allignment every 5 minutes until the day he totaled it!!

I've talked to a very knowledgable suspension shop owner and he has informed me that his experience with these drop spindle kits are all the same -- HORRIBLE. He says the only "correct" way to lower a Nova is by modifying the springs, period.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Maby I do not understand, if the spindles are made with the correct geomotry would'nt they be the same as stock, but lower??? Also I do not understand, how and why they would go out of alignmet so easy, I'n not doubting you I just do not understand it :confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
As of now the kit has been updated to fix this problem. I just installed this same kit but I haven't driven it. They sent me everything I needed and have good service. So far I would recommend it. I guess I will see.? I can't see it making your alignment go out frequently because the peices that you adjust your alignment with are not related to the spindle. Some of the problems people are having are due to worn items and the design of the idler arm. When the idler arm has slop and goes up and down the toe in/out changes as you wiggle it. When you hit a pot hole and the camber ''cam'' moves it will toss off the camber so people tack them or replace them with lockouts. The front ends in 62-67 just plain ol suck and you need to accept that it will never be right. Thats why people throw them away and spend good money on a front clip. I didn't want to spend $2500 after it was all done. So I rebuilt the stocker with poly bushings, delux front end kit,HD springs, and drop/disc conversion. I wanted to keep it a Chevy II and make it work better. It will probably still suck but its the fun of driving a 62. Save the big expences for HP, wheels, rear end, paint ect. It will never drive perfect. That's my .02 Pete

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
2 possible problems I have seen happen on dropped spindle & brake upgrades..

if the hub face moves farther out away from the spindle, it will affect the scrub radius.

some times the steering arm is moved from the original location to clear the brakes or the wheel

either of these conditions will comprimise handling.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
i ve had performance suspension dopped spindles on mine and now have superior spindles no alignment problems on any of them

i just had to make sure i got a 3.5" bsp on the first ones which i sold to a guy here on the site

and my superior i can have up to 4.5 bsp with no rubbing

·
6,404 Posts
Codelphious said:
My brother had that installed on his 1971 Nova about 6-8 months ago and the thing went out of allignment every 5 minutes until the day he totaled it!!

I've talked to a very knowledgable suspension shop owner and he has informed me that his experience with these drop spindle kits are all the same -- HORRIBLE. He says the only "correct" way to lower a Nova is by modifying the springs, period.

Maybe your brother had problems putting on parts designed for 62-67 Novas.
I'd stay away from that suspension shop.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I'd like to tag-on to this thread with a related question. I'm looking at a drum to disk conversion on a '71 350/350. It looks like almost the same money whether I go with the standard spindle or the 2" drop that seems so popular. Have any of you run into problems like Matt did with your ride being too low? I always thought that lowering improved handling, all other things being equal, but I am new to Novas. Is there anything special about a Gen III that makes this dropped spindle weird? I'm also looking at the CPP for their kit:

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1967_1979_Chevy_Camaro/67FRBKS.htm

Has any got any experience with them?

Thanks for the advice,:confused:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Shouldn't be anything weird. I run drop spindles and disc brakes on my daily driven 65 hardtop, and haven't had any problems with alignment that are any different than what you have with stock spindles.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
So what is a new redesigned spindle? I know about the upper boss on the drum brake spindle. What else should I be looking for?

Dave

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used the entire kit on my 65. I would say use the CPP drop springs instead of the drop spindles. It's just a tire clearance thing but you need all the room you can get.

I never had any problem with the alignment of my CPP front end.

I also purchased the CPP drop springs for the rear with poly bushings.....I didn't get the desired drop in the rear...no where close to the front....so beware.

R

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
My neighbor has a '67 with the 2" drop spindles and he has real clearance problems with 15: wheels. I think I'm going with standard spindles and maybe drop it an inch with a spring trim sometime later.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Any more opinions on Classic Performance Products?

My car currently has 4 wheel drum brakes, and I am looking at switching to one of the following 4 wheel disc kits:

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1967_1979_Chevy_Camaro/67FRBKS.htm

Does the above kit come with stock disc spindles or do I have to buy them separately? There seems to be some contradiction on their website. (I do not want the lowered spindles).

Also, what size booster should I get? They offer 7", 8", 9" and 11"?

I also like this kit...

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1955_1970_Fullsize_Cars/5564WBKP13.htm

...but I do not know if it comes with disc brake spindles or a booster.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Jason

1 - 16 of 16 Posts