Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Dumb question but did you try starting it on at 180 the opposite? The cap on my 66 is like that. If I put it on one way it will end up / but if I start it 180 degrees opposite it'll end up ___

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called Classic ind. and there looking into it. The tect is going to bring 12 caps from stock and see if they are pinned the same. If you look at the back of the cap I received from them you can see that it is off set from the lock . On my painted cap it is pinned correctly and lines up straight in the locked position.
It does not matter how I put it on, its not straight. I told him that if they were all made the same way as the one I got he would of already gotten alot of calls from people not happy. I hope I just got a bad one and they can send me a replacement. We Nova owners all know that these caps must line up straight or it look funny and stand out like a sore thumb.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
I have run into this scenario a handful of times over the years. Here are the usual culprits:

1) The cap is misboxed and you got a later one
2) The car has a 65-67 filler neck
3) The car has a repop filler neck. The repop caps and repop filler necks do not play nice together.
4) And way less likely (but not impossible) the cap is made wrong.

I have sold probably 100+ of the repop gas caps over the years and whenever there was an issue it was #2 or #3 above. However in these scenarios the cap generally does not fit correctly along with not clocking right.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am second owner on this car and it was tore down to bare metal and media blasted by me. The car show no signs of ever being hit or changed. I wish it was a 65 filler neck case if it was the cap would have a boe tie with a lock on it.
also the cap fits nice and tight just like it should. Like I said before the bar is not pinned correctly on the cap. its clocked about a 1/8 inch off compaired to the painted one that came on the car.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
the filler neck is different from '62-'64 to '65-'67
bowtie locking gas caps are made for '62-'64 & '65-'67

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I know, but I can not find the bowtie locking caps except for NOS. They want about 300.00 bucks for them for the 62/64. If I had a 65/67 neck I could buy a re-pop for 70.00 bucks. I got a call back from Classic today and they asked me to send them pics of the problem. I will do this and send this one back for replacement or refund. The bar for opening and closing the cap should be straight when in the lock position. Mine is not, its clocked at 8:30 and 2:30. It should be clocked at 9 and 3

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Yes I know, but I can not find the bowtie locking caps except for NOS. They want about 300.00 bucks for them for the 62/64. If I had a 65/67 neck I could buy a re-pop for 70.00 bucks. I got a call back from Classic today and they asked me to send them pics of the problem. I will do this and send this one back for replacement or refund. The bar for opening and closing the cap should be straight when in the lock position. Mine is not, its clocked at 8:30 and 2:30. It should be clocked at 9 and 3
NovaJoe sells repops locking caps for about 80.00, you will need to change to a 65-67 fuel neck:yes:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Wrong/mis-boxed cap, or you have a 65-67 filler neck & it is the correct cap??

No one that I am aware of is repopping chrome locking bowtie caps for the 62-64 Novas. The customers with 62-64's that want the locking bowtie caps have gotten the 65-67 filler necks.

Walt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts