Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
14,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard on the news tonight that our wonderful state is trying to pass a bill to require yearly smog tests on all cars 15 years and older. No exceptions. This is something we all need to keep an eye on. I'm sure SEMA has heard about it already. Geez, does it ever stop here?

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
This is one of the reasons I'm trying to keep the 250 in the wagon. I think and hope it is unlikely to pass, but these movements are getting more frequent. :mad:

Here is the jist of the bill and link to the bill's page. The bill (AB 859 Jones) goes on to reference sections 44011 which includes the pre-76 exemption, but does not seem to modify the exemption (yet)... Fun stuff!

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_859&sess=CUR&house=B&author=jones

This bill would require the department to incorporate the annual
inspection of motor vehicles that are models
that are 15 years old or greater into the motor vehicle
inspection and maintenance program by January 1, 2010
2011 , and would require funds generated through
additional inspection fees to be deposited into the High Polluter
Repair or Removal Account.
By expanding the definition of an existing crime
increasing the number of motor vehicles subject to the
criminal penalties of the existing smog check program , this
bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
The bill would exempt all vehicles not subject to biennial
inspection, and would authorize the department to exempt other
vehicles or classes of vehicles determined by the
department to be likely to pass the annual inspection
from annual inspection, as provided .

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well , what else, the Terminator Arnold needs MONEY, how about Jay Leno for Governator, he's in the Hot Rod Industry, and all they want is promote the Car Dealers, see buy new car, green enviroment, bla-bla-bla.......:rolleyes:
My 2 pesos.....

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
if it does pass you can bet i will be the next guy to leave this sh$#hole state
anything for money now that ca is 18 trillion in the hole :yes: why not make people them selves get smog test we admit pollution too sh$% that would prolly be another 15 billion right there. well maybe they should start taxing the medical marijuana farms and users that would definetly stop this funny little word i like to call GREED

·
Registered
166 Posts
Looking at property in Az (colorado river)as I type:.That way I have an az address for my cars and boat!:D

·
Registered
996 Posts
nevada doesn't have emissions testing except for most of washoe county or clark county.

i'm not afraid to move back to nevada if laws like this are passed.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Guys, if you all are serious about keeping informed on this and other things that affect our hobby, you need to join SAN. Sema Action Network. It's free to join, with no obligation. SEMA has people in Sacramento fighting these BS bills every day.

As serious as this sounds, I doubt much will come of it, but we have to keep our heads up.

Tim

·
Registered
407 Posts
man that really sucks.
i live in vegas.but my car is registered in so cal because of the black plates:cool:

but if that does happen i will give up the cali registration in a heartbeat.

hey just about everyone in socal has a relative or friend in nevada or arizona.
so just switch your car registrationif it does happen.or just move.

the state of california will see more decilne in there income if people leave because of there laws.

but the best idea is chevykid.:clap::clap::clap:

we should all join the sema action network.

we all want to keep our cars but yet we want someone else to fight for us.let all do our part.:grouphug:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I read a think a while back that someone wanted to ban black cars from california. Reason being: black cars are more likely to use the air conditioning on hot days and gas mileage would decrease and pollution might increase. Seriously? Who thinks this stuff up?

I can't imagine the thought process of someone up in the 'controlling' part of the state trying to take away our cars based on smog laws that they wouldn't have passed EVEN WHEN THEY WERE NEW!

3M was one of the main lobbiers of keeping black plates off a car once they were out of date (7 years of no registration). This way they could sell more of their license plate paint to the state. Seriously people are greedy. I'm sure new car manufacturers are partners in crime to this smog law. Force our wonderful cars off the road and we need to buy a new car.

I agree with legalizing marijuana at this point. Tax the crap out of it. But I'm sure some big-wig dealers/mafia are up lobbying against the legalization of it so as to keep their profits high. Our world is messed up.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
It sickens me to read stuff like this. I've been in California my whole life but the way that things are going im seriously considering taking my family elsewhere. I really dont want to becasue my roots are here but with taxes constantly going up, the high cost of living and the over crowding and traffic the few joys i get are my hobbies and now they want to ruin that...good ole' california politicians are to blame for our problems but we're the ones that are going to have to pay for it

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
If you read the bill, you will see that our older cars that are exempt will remain exempt. This bill addresses ageing vehicles that are still being used daily. Vehicles that are between 15 years old, and the cutoff that are currently subject to a smog check every other year will be subject to a yearly check if the bill is passed. Our cars are still safe for now.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
If you read the bill, you will see that our older cars that are exempt will remain exempt. This bill addresses ageing vehicles that are still being used daily. Vehicles that are between 15 years old, and the cutoff that are currently subject to a smog check every other year will be subject to a yearly check if the bill is passed. Our cars are still safe for now.
It doesnt matter!

It's a stepping stone towards total smog control!

We need to keep up on these punks in office!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Its going to happen.Unless people start speaking up these Morons will get this bill passed and Im sure thrers some more in the works just as stupid.The only reason behind this is to generate money,thats all.Who sponsored the bill?

·
Registered
809 Posts
good ole' california politicians are to blame for our problems but we're the ones that are going to have to pay for it
And were the ones that can change it,we put them in office,we can remove them when the time comes.People will [email protected] and moan now but when the time comes will everybody vote?I will join SAN just to have piece of mind knowing I did what I could when these moronic bills get passed.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts