Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am purchasing some items from Churchboys to do an LS3 495HP swap with a TKX 5 speed along with Terminator EFI. I just thought I would make a thread to show some progress once received and any hiccups I may have for future reference. I still need to order their headers and possibly a Ricks fuel tank from them. I've been weighing my options on the tank. Ill be replacing a mostly stock front end. Opinions appreciated if someone has purchased this tank. I plan to get all the front end done and in the future upgrading the rear when more funds come available and sell the leaf springs. I plan to do a minitub with possibly the Churchboys 4 link. I am a little afraid to tackle it as my welding skills are not the best. I may get some help on that part.
I just finished an LS3 swap in my 72 blazer and it was a fun experience. It runs great so I'm looking forward to good manners on my 66.

Font Screenshot Advertising Web page Motor vehicle

· Registered
695 Posts
So I am purchasing some items from Churchboys to do an LS3 495HP swap with a TKX 5 speed along with Terminator EFI. I just thought I would make a thread to show some progress once received and any hiccups I may have for future reference. I still need to order their headers and possibly a Ricks fuel tank from them. I've been weighing my options on the tank. Ill be replacing a mostly stock front end. Opinions appreciated if someone has purchased this tank. I plan to get all the front end done and in the future upgrading the rear when more funds come available and sell the leaf springs. I plan to do a minitub with possibly the Churchboys 4 link. I am a little afraid to tackle it as my welding skills are not the best. I may get some help on that part.
I just finished an LS3 swap in my 72 blazer and it was a fun experience. It runs great so I'm looking forward to good manners on my 66.

View attachment 450427
I can speak for the Rick's fuel tank, it's a great quality unit, I have one going in my 67 Chevelle to feed a new 496 I'm just (finally) finishing, it's also going to be running a Terminator set-up. Anything CBR is great quality, have their 4-link and sub-frame connectors on my 67 Nova, great quality and they actually answer any questions personally, something seldom seen today!

· Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Looks like you have a good recipe for your build. I would highly recommend their sub frame connectors to really tie the body/frame together.

You cannot go wrong with Church Boys Racing. Very high quality parts, made in America. Chuck and companies customer service is beyond reproach. They are Nova people and they get it.

T,

· Registered
443 Posts
We'll be watching. Well pleased with the CBR Front clip on my 67. Thinking about getting the Ididit column. I kept the oem unit I had. Wished I hadn't.
I plan on keeping my Factory column, so I have to ask why you arent happy with yours.

I was on the fence on the column myself, but it’s reasonably priced. I have one in my Blazer and it’s a nice column. I’m going to call tomorrow and see which headers they recommend.
CBR recommends Stainless Works Headers and that is what I bought for my 4 door/LS3 swap project.

What cam are you running?

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called Chuck today and bought the 1 7/8 headers along with the Ricks tank and a set of rear Viking shocks. Real cool guy and he was happy to answer all my questions.
The ls3 had the upgraded cam to make it 495 hp. I’m not sure the exact specs on it but it’s their crate engine that is sold at summit etc.
I told him I am considering the rear mini tub and 4 link in the future and he said I could ship the car to them and they would install it all. I may take them up on it when I get to that point.
I have the clutch and Bellhousing bolted up. I dial indicated parallel and concentric and was all in spec with the QuickTime Bellhousing. No offset dowls which is nice. I went with a McLeod rst twin. Seems to be a good street clutch.

· Registered
1967 Nova SS
2,190 Posts
I plan on keeping my Factory column, so I have to ask why you arent happy with yours.

Nothing to do with the clip. The column that came in the car looks like poor repair/parts on lower end and a grinding noise when turning full turn left or right. All bearing have been cleaned and lubed but something doesn't seem right. Also being fat and old I'm thinking the tilt steering wheel willl help in getting in and out. The Nova is a whole lot lower than my daily driver.

· Registered
1967 Nova SS
2,190 Posts
Called Chuck today and bought the 1 7/8 headers along with the Ricks tank and a set of rear Viking shocks. Real cool guy and he was happy to answer all my questions.
The ls3 had the upgraded cam to make it 495 hp. I’m not sure the exact specs on it but it’s their crate engine that is sold at summit etc.
I told him I am considering the rear mini tub and 4 link in the future and he said I could ship the car to them and they would install it all. I may take them up on it when I get to that point.
I have the clutch and Bellhousing bolted up. I dial indicated parallel and concentric and was all in spec with the QuickTime Bellhousing. No offset dowls which is nice. I went with a McLeod rst twin. Seems to be a good street clutch.
When I got my headers from CBR I bought the non-coated version. Then sent them to Jet-Hot for their ceramic coating. If I had to do again I would check to see if they could have been sent to Jet-Hot first and then to me, would have saved one of the shipping charges. At today's shipping coast that could be worth looking into.

My headers have couple thousand miles on them and still look Great. FYI contact I dealt with is Brian Richardson 800-432-3379

· Registered
726 Posts
I agree with and did the same as Railroaderman. Mainly did it for heat and looks. Neighbor has a 77 C10 with and LQ4 and bare stainless headers. Looked great when new but he’s had it running about a year now and the primary tubes are blue, gray and brown from the heat. Doesn’t look bad but you definitely see the discoloration. Also, he burned up a starter from the heat from the collector. Not to say it won’t happen with coated headers but the possible reduction of heat might lessen the chance of ruining a starter.

if I had to do it again I would ask Chuck if he offers them coated.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called Chuck and his opinion was it doesn’t need it. He also said there are products to clean them if they do turn blue. I think I’ll go ahead and go uncoated and if I have issues I’ll just mail them to have them coated.

· Registered
1,319 Posts
Any idea on how long it would take to get a 495 hp LS3. I'm sure they are like most things and not ready to ship. I've been waiting on several items for a while now. Just wondering on the LS3

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That’s hard to say. I actually bought mine at the local Chevy dealer. They had a few in stock. I went and picked it up. I would order it and hope it comes sooner than later. If not Atleast it puts you in line.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts