Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I drained the oil out of the nova and when I pulled the drain plug there were chunks of metal on the magnet, what look to be little teeth off a gear or something. The only two gears I can think of are timing chain or distributer. If you have any thoughts as to what it might be please let me know, I hope my season isn't over before it even starts.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
my guess would be the distributor/cam gears... i'd think you'd have a steel gear of some sort for the timing set and they really don't break up like that too much do they ??? (not like the Nylons, and you said metal shards) so i'd say pull the dist and check the cam and dist gears... hope the cam is cool.

best of luck to ya :D

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
is this a running motor? If so and these pieces of metal are timing gear teeth I would suspect that the chain would be stretched too and that your timing should be all over the place....try moving the harmonic balancer and see if the rotor moves instanly with it or if there is slack/slop that needs to be taken up before the rotor will respond...IMO it should move instantly if the chain is not stretched but if there is a delay between you turning the harmonic balancer and the rotor turning its time for a new timing set;)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a running motor 69ss, had it running yesterday for a few min. the timing chain was a summit double roller set, but it was put in a few years back 2002???, and if I recall the chain was very tight when it was installed. No slack what so ever. the lst time i had a light on it was last summer and the timing marker was as steady as a rock. If it turns out to be the timing set, how do I get any residule pieces of metal out of the motor? I cut the filter open and a few very tiny pieces of metal in it.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Would it be possible for you to post pictures of what you found in the filter? That way we can get a better idea of what you are looking at.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yer gonna have ta pull the pan and clean it out... check the oil pump screen too...

and yeah, if ya can... what David said. a couple pics might help the guys help ya.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Looks to me like Danno has had a timing set in his dentist's chair!!!:eek:

Those look like teeth off of one (or both) of the timing gears.

Randy (better look for a cause also):eek:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Straight cut so they aren't distributor to cam gears. Might be oil pump gears but how they got in the pan is unfathomable.
My guess is those are off the upper timing gear. Are they magnetic? Aluminum? (plastic gear had aluminum outer teeth). The engine shouldn't run with that many teeth missing. Are you sure they aren't from a previous malfunction and just now surfacing. When did the current chain set get installed? Was it done on the car? When was the pan last off?

I'd be putting that engine on a stand and investigating or at the very least pulling the pan. (IMO it's easier to pull the engine)

You may have more crap wedged in nooks and crannies, blocking the oil pump screen just waiting to f-up your engine.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Randy,
What do you think could cause that? I think it might be a crapy timing set, and it just took this long to break. I don't know???? This sucks my track starts racing this weekend too.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think i'm gonna pull the timing cover since that is easier than the pan.

Paul, They are magnetic. the timing chain set was a summit double roller set, but it was put in a few years back 2002???, and if I recall the chain was very tight when it was installed. No slack what so ever.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I don't know. I have had a high volume oil pump wipe out the distributor gear, and the drive gear on a cam. It might be a cheap tiiming gear set, but, again, I don't know. I think what Paul is recommending is your best solution. Find the answers to his questions. Pulling the timing chain cover will tell you if those teeth came from the current timing set, or if they were hiding somewhere, and just found their way out.

All I can really offer you are guesses. Keep this in mind: Paul eats, sleeps, and lives engines. I am a computer programmer. Although his answer is not the one you want to hear, it is the that will save you the most grief in the long run.

Randy

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
novaracer1 said:
I think i'm gonna pull the timing cover since that is easier than the pan.
Tha't like me saying I'm going to throw out my scale since that's easier than losing weight.

Bite the bullet and pull the pan and inspect that and the oil pump screen. I'd pull some main caps and inspect the bearings. I know you just want it all to go away so you can go racing but if there's already some junk in the pan then you have a ticking time bomb. Defuse it before your time runs out.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was planing on pulling the pan also, wanted to do the timing cover first to varify that it is infact the timing gear. This motor has been in this car since 1996 and it has never been out. I bought the car in 97' and it had 2500 miles on the rebuild, I would think if those chunks of metal are from another "hidden" problem, it wouldn't take 5,7,9 or however many years, for them to find their way loose. But, one never knows.:) My question is, if it is the timing set, What caused it to fail after 4 years of use? That bothers me more than the actual problem:confused: Thanks for all your help guys. keep the suggestions coming. I really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts