Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this is the right place for this thread...

just wondering if anyone knew of a good chrome color rattle can.
about 6 years ago i bought a chrome color rattle can and painted my dads rear bumper on his truck. it was just a work truck and we made a bumper out of steel. didn't care how it turned out, but it ended up looking pretty good for $5 chrome job.

now i want to do a few things on my nova and i can't remember what brand paint it was.
do any of you have a good recommendation on some rattle can paint that looks something like chrome. i don't need to see my face in the paint, but anything is better than the silver color that came out of the last "chrome" can.

i know you can buy automotive paint that is mirror look, but i'm not trying to spend a lot of money and i'd rather not get out my air compressor and paint gun.

let me know if you have used anything.
i would have the stuff re dipped, but they are not worth that much work.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I have to disagree, with respect. The link above to Alsa, who are located here in SoCal, is good. We played with this stuff up at SEMA a couple years ago, and with a properly prepped surface, read very smooth, it was incredible. I don't know their recipe, but it has to be the best alternative out there, as a replacement for chrome. Of course, durability would be my next concern, but for the looks, this stuff is at the top of the charts in my opinion.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice...
i thought that stuff was buy a pint and spray with a gun. a friend went to sema and was talking about that a few weeks ago.

gonna check this out, i have no problem doing prep work on the stuff.

my car isn't gonna be a show car, just a daily driver / drag strip car.
the chrome stuff is in decent shape, but with the amount of work to fix them and dip it's just not cost effective.

wonder if i can find that local to me or if i need to order it online. i know a guy that owns a body shop so i'm gonna talk to him on monday. i was gonna ask him about the auto paint and i'll ask about this stuff.
i think i'll need about 2 rattle cans to do all the stuff i want. so i'll check the price for a pint of the chrome mirror auto paint

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Napa sells a high temp bbq paint. The aluminum color looks really good, covers nice and is really durable....

·
Registered
609 Posts
the Krylon is real good and the rustolium is real good.

i paint all my circle track wheels with that stuff, dont get Sivler metalic, but im sure you know that

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never seen a product worth a damn. The part comes out looking like a used tire store window special.
used tire store window special might be good enough.
this is not a show car, it's a pos daily driver

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Obviously your call, but I'd never want to ride around in something that looked bad, because the owner was lazy. How about Argent? Beats chrome
i'm sorry you think i'm lazy, but to call me lazy is uncalled for.
it has nothing to do with the time, it's the money. i don't have money for new clean looking bumpers or money to pay someone to make my dented, bent old bumpers look new.

and i'm sorry you are too worried about looks to enjoy driving an old car.

my car is not a nice car, i can't own a nice car. i like to drive off curbs and run into friends at stop lights. i like to take my car down to a dirt field and do donuts. i paint cars with house paint (rustoleum) i don't fix dents before i paint my cars.
i'm not the kind of guy that washes and waxes his car.

i like ugly cars, it's more fun when someone laughs at your ugly pos then you walk them down at the drag strip.

people buy cars so they can enjoy them. i don't need my 40+ year old car to look like it just rolled off the showroom floor to enjoy it.
besides there are too many good looking novas on this site. i like to be different.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have to agree with Vegas Mike on this one. That is a very nice alternative to the real thing. Getting a bumper looking perfect is going to be very costly and if someone can't afford it then hell, this is a great deal. That's part of the fun of what we do, sometimes we have to come up with alternatives to doing things and getting stuff done. Again though, I would get a can and try it though bud!

-Paul

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
damn did you guys see the price for the Alsa spray can kit? $115 per kit. You can almost get a bumper rechromed for that price. Great stuff from the looks of it on the video.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
damn did you guys see the price for the Alsa spray can kit? $115 per kit. You can almost get a bumper rechromed for that price. Great stuff from the looks of it on the video.
like i said, i know a guy that owns a body shop so i'm sure i could get it at cost.
i'll try to write back on how much that alsa stuff would cost me.

i've had a few other recommendations on another site. i'm gonna check them first, but i have a feeling it's just gonna be shiny silver color
if it comes down to it and everything is too expensive i'll just paint them silver.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm glad you won't be running into MY car.

I probably wouldn't take it in the spirit offered.

I like ugly cars too.. to a point. However, I like to fix the dents as best I can, then primer it over. By the time you get several repair sessions, with three or more primer colors involved, then you have 'street camo' !

As for $$, I do not hesitate to spend money on my cars... on the drivetrain!

It is such a hoot to totally blow the doors of someone after they poke fun at my beater, thinking their $5K wheels and tires are gonna propel their car faster than my bored and cammed 305.

actually, it is fairly standard knowledge to the 'brothers' that you don't race a red neck. While the 'bro' may have ten large in paint and tires, the white boy ( aka redneck ) will have ten large in the drivetrain, leaving the original 'patina' intact.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
i like to be different.

My mistake. You're not lazy, you're weird. Not too many car guys like to reference their own rides as POS, even if they are. I have had beater cars that you are talking about, but still, if someone called it a POS, something inside starts brewing anger. It's still your car dude.

I'm certain the main objective of the site is to ask questions and get answers, but the majority of folks are trying to make their cars "better" or whatever that constitutes. Painting your car with housepaint? Come on man.

You asked a question, I answered you. Just trying to help you make it better.

·
Premium Member
11,285 Posts
Obviously your call, but I'd never want to ride around in something that looked bad, because the owner was lazy. How about Argent? Beats chrome
My mistake. You're not lazy, you're weird. Not too many car guys like to reference their own rides as POS, even if they are. I have had beater cars that you are talking about, but still, if someone called it a POS, something inside starts brewing anger. It's still your car dude.

I'm certain the main objective of the site is to ask questions and get answers, but the majority of folks are trying to make their cars "better" or whatever that constitutes. Painting your car with housepaint? Come on man.

You asked a question, I answered you. Just trying to help you make it better.

MANGOPUPPY....You have mail. :yes:

·
Banned
3,991 Posts
Amen brother - dare to be different!!! :yes:

Heck, the '65 is gonna have $4500 in the engine when all is said and done. And I'm gonna rattle can the beast! :D

To each their own! All Novas are great Novas - and there is nothing wrong with being self-deprecating by referring to a car as a POS when we really know otherwise.

Cheers, Tim

i like ugly cars, it's more fun when someone laughs at your ugly pos then you walk them down at the drag strip.

people buy cars so they can enjoy them. i don't need my 40+ year old car to look like it just rolled off the showroom floor to enjoy it.
besides there are too many good looking novas on this site. i like to be different.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts