Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever re-chromed tail light bezels? They're plastic, so I'm wondering if you can actually do something like that. The paint on mine isn't terrible (but it's not too great anymore either) and I think chroming them would make 'em pop nice. Anybody done it before or know someone who can?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yes, plastic can be chromed.

First they spray the plastic with a conductive paint. Then they dip it using the normal electrolytic process. the chrome will only stick to the conductive paint.

For a restoration, they would first strip the part bare.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Hi Nova N8,

Look for a set of tail lights from a 73/74 Nova Custom or SS. They have stainless steel trim rings that fit over the outer edge of the lenses (where the regular ones are just painted silver). They also have similar stainless trim rings around the parking/turn lenses in the grille.

The stainless trim rings can be polished up to a nearly chrome-like appearance.

Even if you find a set of lenses with bad plastic, the stainless trim is easily removed and will snap right on over the painted areas of your existing tail lights.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for the tip Ray. :beer: That sounds even better. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a set. If anybody here has an extra set, shoot me a PM! :D

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Hi Nova N8,

Look for a set of tail lights from a 73/74 Nova Custom or SS. They have stainless steel trim rings that fit over the outer edge of the lenses (where the regular ones are just painted silver). They also have similar stainless trim rings around the parking/turn lenses in the grille.

The stainless trim rings can be polished up to a nearly chrome-like appearance.

Even if you find a set of lenses with bad plastic, the stainless trim is easily removed and will snap right on over the painted areas of your existing tail lights.
WOW! That's a great little nugget of info....

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts