Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint the chrome around my side windows black. I understand the best way to do this is to remove them, have them glass beaded and paint them What's the best way to get them off?

[/IMG]

·
Registered
582 Posts
Remove the outer vertical plastic grille. Remove all interior plastic panels surrounding the glass (you dont really have to do this for removal, but you need to so you can put it back).

Have someone outside the car prepared to receive the window when it pops off. Go inside the car, lie on the back seats or floor, and slowly push in the center of the glass with both feet. Glass, gasket and moldings will softly pop out together.
To remove the molding pry off the corner carefully, do it with soapy water, and then pull the others out of the rubber gasket. I'm not sure if I would paint and reassemble. As these are pieces that interlock, the paint might scratch off at the assembly points. Actually, I wouldnt paint them at all, but this my personal opinion.

If I were you, for paint, I would find one of the 2 piece molding sets that went into base models without chrome. You are not likely to scratch that much simpler setup. You need the rubber gasket as well as it is different from yours.

BECAUSE... I suppose you want the door frames to match. Removing the chrome moldings on the doors to paint is very difficult without damaging them. There is real risk of bending involved. On the other hand, if you use the 2 piece setup, you can remove the door moldings and never put them back on, and paint the door frame metal. However, you might have to deal with hidden rust, etc.

Putting the quarter glass back on is another story, if you are going thru with it I'll write it all down...

Heres a pic of my car with the factory 2 piece moldings and no moldings on the door.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi--Thanks for your input.

So I need to take the quarter window out to get the mouldings off?

Could I get the 2 piece mouldings off a junk car without removing the quarter window?

Do you think I could also get the 2 piece front door mouldings off a junk car without messing them up?

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
Kim the rubber gasket is different for the 2 piece and the chrome trim. The gasket is cut to accept the trim so if you find one with the standard trim take the gasket too. The trim needs to installed in the rubber before installing. The glass, rubber and trim are all assembled and installed back into the body as a unit. Both removal and installation are easy.

I converted mine to 2 piece and I have seen others that painted the full trim. IMO painting the full trim just did not look correct but did not look bad either. There is a 3rd type of trim, it is a painted 2 piece but has a rolled bead on the surface, this was only used on the 75 and 76 SS cars. I have only seen it in photos.

The trim can be removed easily from the door frames without damage. Use a 1" blade plastic putty knife, start at the back top edge of the door work the knife under the trim and slide it towards the front of the door. It lifts the edge without bending it and when about at the curve the whole piece will be able to be lifted off with out any damage or marks. The trim on the 77 was removed and the door frame painted.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Great removal tip Philip!! What have you done? Now I want fresh door moldings!!!
Kim the rubber gasket is different for the 2 piece and the chrome trim. The gasket is cut to accept the trim so if you find one with the standard trim take the gasket too. The trim needs to installed in the rubber before installing. The glass, rubber and trim are all assembled and installed back into the body as a unit. Both removal and installation are easy.

I converted mine to 2 piece and I have seen others that painted the full trim. IMO painting the full trim just did not look correct but did not look bad either. There is a 3rd type of trim, it is a painted 2 piece but has a rolled bead on the surface, this was only used on the 75 and 76 SS cars. I have only seen it in photos.

The trim can be removed easily from the door frames without damage. Use a 1" blade plastic putty knife, start at the back top edge of the door work the knife under the trim and slide it towards the front of the door. It lifts the edge without bending it and when about at the curve the whole piece will be able to be lifted off with out any damage or marks. The trim on the 77 was removed and the door frame painted.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi--Thanks for your input.

So I need to take the quarter window out to get the mouldings off?

Could I get the 2 piece mouldings off a junk car without removing the quarter window?

Do you think I could also get the 2 piece front door mouldings off a junk car without messing them up?
Yes, the moldings -both types- only come out of the gasket when the quarter window is off the car.

The 2-piece moldings are hard to mess up, removal is same as I described above, dont let the glass fall down to the floor and the rest is easy.

The removal of the door frame moldings is as described by Philip, but its very likely the metal underneath is rusty, even rusted through.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thanks guys. Looks like I need to find some 2 piece mouldings and gaskets! The search is on!

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
AFAIK there were no door moldings that were painted, GM just painted the door frames. IIRC on the 75 and 76 SS cars the upper door jamb area was painted black too. (except on black cars then it was body color :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remove the outer vertical plastic grille. Remove all interior plastic panels surrounding the glass (you dont really have to do this for removal, but you need to so you can put it back).

Have someone outside the car prepared to receive the window when it pops off. Go inside the car, lie on the back seats or floor, and slowly push in the center of the glass with both feet. Glass, gasket and moldings will softly pop out together.
To remove the molding pry off the corner carefully, do it with soapy water, and then pull the others out of the rubber gasket. I'm not sure if I would paint and reassemble. As these are pieces that interlock, the paint might scratch off at the assembly points. Actually, I wouldnt paint them at all, but this my personal opinion.

If I were you, for paint, I would find one of the 2 piece molding sets that went into base models without chrome. You are not likely to scratch that much simpler setup. You need the rubber gasket as well as it is different from yours.

BECAUSE... I suppose you want the door frames to match. Removing the chrome moldings on the doors to paint is very difficult without damaging them. There is real risk of bending involved. On the other hand, if you use the 2 piece setup, you can remove the door moldings and never put them back on, and paint the door frame metal. However, you might have to deal with hidden rust, etc.

Putting the quarter glass back on is another story, if you are going thru with it I'll write it all down...

Heres a pic of my car with the factory 2 piece moldings and no moldings on the door.

By the way, NICE Nova! :yes:

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the 2 piece moulding, what goes across the bottom of window? Is it just the rubber gasket that shows? :confused:

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Okay thanks guys. I've never really paid much attention to the mouldings other than to notice some are body color & some are chrome. Philip, the pictures really help. It looks like the 2 piece are flatter than mine around the top. Would that match the door frame better after moulding is removed? Now I know what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll just stick with my mouldings and have them blasted and then paint them--not sure yet. . Would gaskets & mouldings from a hatchback w/o swing-out windows work?

PS--Philip, are your vents from an Olds or maybe a Phoenix??

·
Registered
582 Posts
Okay thanks guys. I've never really paid much attention to the mouldings other than to notice some are body color & some are chrome. Philip, the pictures really help. It looks like the 2 piece are flatter than mine around the top. Would that match the door frame better after moulding is removed? Now I know what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll just stick with my mouldings and have them blasted and then paint them--not sure yet. . Would gaskets & mouldings from a hatchback w/o swing-out windows work?

PS--Philip, are your vents from an Olds or maybe a Phoenix??
Hey both of you guys, Kim, Philip... you both have the same vents, they are Phoenix!!!...:D

Thanks for the kudos on my car. There is a thread in the members introductions section on it,
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193112

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they are vertical like the Nova

I never really paid attention to the fact that the vents were different on different GM brands. I thought they were all the same. I would think my horizontal ones are original equipment for my Phoenix. Come to think of it years ago the vents on my wife's 75 Olds Omega were vertical.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

As far as pushing the windows out with my feet... I guess if I just put steady pressure on it till it pops out I won't break the window?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts