Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So why are there such a huge price difference on retrorollers for the early SBC ? Comp Cams I was told are crap and the cheapest, next up Howards, then on the other complete price spectrum are the Crower, Lunati, and Crane. Whats your experience? Stay away from Comp?
Pricing out a retro roller set up on my refreshed 383 which had a hyd flat tapet cam. Mainly street, but just a toy and looking at something like the comp xr288hr.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,318 Posts
I have a Lunati Voodoo retro roller setup, yes pricey but, love it. I have no personal complaints of the other brands mentioned. Maybe it's a bad rap because of faulty geometry setup. You must use an adjustable push rod to get the correct push rod length when going retro. Don't confuse a stock roller push rod length spec with retro roller setups. I'm not saying you don't already know that but a lot of times the geometry is overlooked by some.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
There are only a few companies making lifters and its not the cam companies. They are reboxing the lifters from the main manufacturers. As far as cost difference there are many grades of lifter depending on application. You can get ones with the shielded small wheel for low lift or the larger exposed wheel for higher lift and rpm. But that is like a 300 difference.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
my machine shop told me he didnt like comps rollers and to get morel lifters. But has had no complaint on the comp cam itself. had to confirm with you experienced folks. And ya i hear you on the push rod length. I think its crazy comp sells complete kits with pushrods included in their retroroller kits. Howard Cams retrorollers are decently priced. Any luck with those? Also, ill order a small base circle cam. Will that require a different retro roller lifter to be ordered as well?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
It's not just comp that will sell you pushrods that "should" work! :yes:
How anyone would sell someone without knowing the specifics of the engine in question is beyond me.
This comes from experience.

Measure, then order.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
my machine shop told me he didnt like comps rollers and to get morel lifters. But has had no complaint on the comp cam itself. had to confirm with you experienced folks. And ya i hear you on the push rod length. I think its crazy comp sells complete kits with pushrods included in their retroroller kits. Howard Cams retrorollers are decently priced. Any luck with those? Also, ill order a small base circle cam. Will that require a different retro roller lifter to be ordered as well?
Lunati and Howards are the Morel lifters last time I checked. Chris Straub is also a dealer for the Morel lifters. I have had Morel performance Hydraulic roller lifters in my 355 and Morel solid rollers in my 540 and 565. I will be going with the Morel lifters again in my Malibu and my Chevelle when the time comes. They will be the street version lifters though which are a lower price.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I run Morel’s. They are one of only quality made lifters around. I run a solid roller, tiny .900” base circle cam and heavy valve springs. I’ve got 3 years on the lifters with no issues. Lash is always where it needs to be when I run the valves.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have run the Morel performance lifters which customers complain about noise. Have used a few sets of the Morel street performance lifters which are Eaton lifters those seem to be very quiet.

I have switched to the Johnson lifters which seem to be very quite and my customers are very happy. ISKY has done away with the Morel line and have gone to the Johnson lifters.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Johnson used to supply the roller lifters for Harey Davidson and they had very few if any issues. Like everything they do, it was a cost cutting move getting away from them which resulted in some egg on HD’s face.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There are only a few companies making lifters and its not the cam companies. They are reboxing the lifters from the main manufacturers. As far as cost difference there are many grades of lifter depending on application. You can get ones with the shielded small wheel for low lift or the larger exposed wheel for higher lift and rpm. But that is like a 300 difference.
Bracketchev70 is correct, there are only a small amount of lifter manufactures and most rebox. That being said the only hyd roller lifter I would run are those from Crower. But if they rebox like everyone else and sell at a premium, why do that?

Reason, Crower has built their own proprietary machinery to test lifter bleed down rates. Hyd roller lifters are built with extremely close tolerances and when these tolerances are not met one gets a tap or noisy lifter. Crower checks 100% or every lifter to ensure they are in spec. At one point the return rate hovered @40% causing the manufactures to inspect the procedure Crower was using with the visiting engineer approving the process.

So now the question that should be on your mind is, what happens to all of those lifters Crower rejects? Yep, the manufacture reboxes and sends to brand C, or whomever.

I don't like taking apart engines for free to fix bad lifters so I will only put Crowers in to avoid this issue. Fully worth the premium in my opinion...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts