Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to confirm with you guys, I want to go over my converter choice before placing the order...

I have a 350 (hetche in mexico) block with performer rpm intake, full exhaust (headers, flowmasters), 1.6 roller rockers, Comp cams Thumpr cam, and a th350 tranny with 2.73 gears.

I believe the stall i have in there now is around 1600 rpm. the cars dead slow from a stop. Im looking at the B&M tork master 2400 converter. I think this is what I should be going for, right? I believe 3000 would be to high.

You guys agree? (im placing the order tonight)

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
You will hardly even notice a difference going from the 1600 to the 2400 hundred! We need cam specs to help you out more. You might as well save your money and keep your stock converter instead of buying a 2400 hundered.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=107&sb=2

these are the specs. i just placed an order for the converter, but I can cancel it if you think I will be wasting my money.
I personaly would not run anything lower then a 3000 with that cam! Which ever you choose be sure to run a large tranny cooler.:yes: I think you should put some gears in the car first as that will give better results then a convertor right now. Do the gears and get the converter later if yours is still ok.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
that's gonna be one choppy sumbitch. I'd put gears in it too and put in at least an 11" 2800 converter, if not a 10" 3,000 converter.

My junk 350 I had in my 70 nova was all stock bottom end with some ported stock 441's, GM Z/28 intake and 750 vac sec carb and I had an Elgin solid lifter cam he ground for my LT-1 motor way back in the day. .470 lift w/ 1.5 roller rockers, 300 adv duration, [email protected]" on a 105 LSA. Choppy stout little piece. Engine didn't start making power till 3500 or so...I had a GM-6 converter which stalled about 2,000 and 2.56 gears. Super fun on the freeway but what a slug around town. All I did for that combo was add 3.42's and it was a whole 'nother animal.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's gonna be one choppy sumbitch. I'd put gears in it too and put in at least an 11" 2800 converter, if not a 10" 3,000 converter.

My junk 350 I had in my 70 nova was all stock bottom end with some ported stock 441's, GM Z/28 intake and 750 vac sec carb and I had an Elgin solid lifter cam he ground for my LT-1 motor way back in the day. .470 lift w/ 1.5 roller rockers, 300 adv duration, [email protected]" on a 105 LSA. Choppy stout little piece. Engine didn't start making power till 3500 or so...I had a GM-6 converter which stalled about 2,000 and 2.56 gears. Super fun on the freeway but what a slug around town. All I did for that combo was add 3.42's and it was a whole 'nother animal.
yea thats how mine feels. slow as crap taking off, but hits 3500 and it starts pullin. guess ill look into some gears, and a posi while i'm at it. :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a little more cam than mine and I have a 2400 stall. It's not the best for the cam but will work. If I did it over I'd get a 3000 stall. JMO:)
yea a 3000 stall sounds like a much better choice.

after doing a bit more research my rear end is a 3.08

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
gears and a 3000 stall. car should boogie.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Summit and B&M tech told me gears play a major factor when used with stall converters. I have a very similar setup as you and 2.73 gears. My cam starts making power at 2200 rpm. I was asking about a 2000 or 2400 rpm stall and they said 2400 based on cam but I would need 3.73 gears to reach the full potential of the combo. 2.73's would cause the 2400 to act almost like a stock converter.
I planned on 3.73's so I got the 2400. The car should have very good street manners and when I flash the converter, the car should run like a raped ape.
Call Summit, B&M, TCI and see what they tell you. Worked for me.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
what he said up der ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ just think he lives in colorado too so you know he needs more air to get his car movin ................help i cant breath :eek:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Your setup doesn't lend to huge amounts of torque, therefore, regardless of the listed stall speed of the convertor, you'll probably see less. I like a convertor that stalls just above the lower powerband rating, so that when I let go, the motor is already where it needs to be. You might consider a 3000 stall like the others suggested, because your next modification will undoubtedly be a gear change. The 3.08's are not helping your car out of the hole at all. When you get around to that, you'll already have the convertor variable eliminated. Anything over 3 grand will kill the car. The inefficiency starts to kick in, and since your powerband starts pretty low according to the cam specs, your car will slow down on the top end of the track (mph).

·
Registered
268 Posts
I always have my convertors come in at the middle of the torque range. If you have it come in were the cam just starts to come in you'll be to sluggish..if you have it come in to high you ran out of torque and will have to shift to soon. Go between were the cam comes in and where it peaks and you'll find the sweet spot. This is from 35 yrs of trial and error. Just be ready to hold on. I would say 3000 -3500 will give you the launch your looking for. :yes:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
With the size of the cam you have, I would definitely take these guys advice and go with at least a 3000 rpm stall. I have a Comp 268XE cam in my nova and it was a dog from a stop with the 2200 rpm stall. It starts to finally pull well around 3000-3200. I wouldn't go with anything less for the little 350 if you want something that moves well from a stop.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
ATI Converters..

Check out the ATI website link...their products are top quality. You don't want to cut corners on a converter....there is definately a difference, you get what you pay for. We have the Treemaster 3,000 stall unit in our 68 BB car and works awesome. Their tech people are great...give them a call.

wilma

http://www.atiracing.com/products/products.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts