Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the instructions to adjust the electric choke on a Holley carb,
like which way to turn housing and how far open or closed the flapper should be set.??:confused:
Thanks JR

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
JR,,I just adjusted mine last night.

Leaning on the right fender,,no belt buckles please:D ,rotating the housing clockwise will open the choke valve.Here in southern Alabama the choke never completely closes,,so I let the engine warm up to the thermostat temp 160* and made sure the choke valve was just open all the way,,no tension,just full open at that temp.Today at 69* the choke just raised the idle to 1100rpm at start up. (idles at 650 hot)
This may not be "by the book":chev: but seems to work fine.

Hope this helps ya out:)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
JR, this was posted long ago on this site....it took me a while to find it as I had saved it to my hotmail account; (sorry I forget who originally posted this info:eek: )

Steve's Nova Site Member said:
Choke is adjusted with the car cold.

Loosen the 3 bolts on the choke cover. Move the throttle so the choke sets. Turn the cover to adjust. If about 50 degrees, lightly closed. Turn the cover so choke barely closes. tighten bolts. If real cold, a little harder closing, if warmer, open a little. The best way I can explain, it is always hard to explain a knack you learned over the years.

If electric choke, the longer it takes to start, the more it opens.

When starting cold 1 pump to the floor first. Hold it there a second or two to allow the carb to set and the accelerator pump to pump some gas in for an initial prime. Then up all the way and then barely open, if open at all.

Big blocks often took two pumps to get enough prime.

If your car sits many days between starts, it can take a few pumps. Just the nature of carbs.

If the choke is too loose it will start only after pumping multiple times. Then it opens too fast and the car acts like it falls on its face until warm. Too tight, it starts initially but dies and stalls and acts like it is flooded when you want to restart.

A

·
0 Posts
On this same subject.......if the electric choke isn't set correctly, would this cause the engine to 'diesel' or run on after shutting engine off?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts