Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of camshaft are some of you using with the 383 stroker motor?
I'm currently running a Comp Cam part# 12-678-4 . Solid lifter flat tappet etc.
Just curious to see what the trend is out there as far as who is running what
and if you like the results or not.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm using the Comp Cam part #12-443-8 in my 400 sbc - 10:1 compression. It is a hydraulic roller cam.

I am very pleased with the performance of this cam. Somewhat lopey idle, but not radical at all. I was able to get 14 Hg of vacuum at 850-900 rpm. Very good throttle response at idle and decent pull/torque thru the entire rpm range of the cam.

I think distributor and carb tuning also have a lot to do with how well the cam/engine combo performs.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
There's a lot more to it than just being a 383. Compression ratio, heads, intake, gearing, how do you use the car, what ram range do you want to operate in, whats the car weigh, auto or manual transmission, etc.

·
Registered
408 Posts
There's a lot more to it than just being a 383. Compression ratio, heads, intake, gearing, how do you use the car, what ram range do you want to operate in, whats the car weigh, auto or manual transmission, etc.
☝☝
Soooo much involved with picking the right stick.
The cam you have is very well suited for a good high performance build with well flowing heads, high stall converter and someone not overly concerned with low rpm cruising manors and more interested in slamming the skinny pedal. 🤟💪💪

Someone else that wants a "budget" low curve torque monster 383 to hit the cruise ins with power breaks is going to have a completely different combo but would be equally as satisfied.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 383 is an 89 TPI, so i am using a GM hotcam Since tpi is a fuel injected computerized fuel system.
The engine is a full roller, one piece seal block.
Using a 700R4, it’s a cruiser. With High gears, 18” wheels, converter lockup is 51 mph.
Highway, 75 = 1700 rpm.
I need to get lockup programmed to 45.

·
Registered
71 Posts
this would be a good cam for a stocker...at 10:1 compression.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thank everyone for their replies, sounds like everyone is pretty happy with what they're running. I agree 110 percent everyone's combination is a little different so that all needs to be considered when choosing a cam. Thanks again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What kind of camshaft are some of you using with the 383 stroker motor?
I'm currently running a Comp Cam part# 12-678-4 . Solid lifter flat tappet etc.
Just curious to see what the trend is out there as far as who is running what
and if you like the results or not.
Cam mush B matched to exact combo. Several online calculators R avail, most helpful. But 1st no what ur exact combo iz.

·
Registered
776 Posts
When I become king or when Steve renames this site Alf's Nova Site, I will ban all "what cam should I buy" posts.
Call the cam grinder of your choice......this is just short of heart surgery.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
When I become king or when Steve renames this site Alf's Nova Site, I will ban all "what cam should I buy" posts.
Call the cam grinder of your choice......this is just short of heart surgery.
100% agree. I use and recommend Chris Straub at Straub Technologies. He’s done 2 solid roller cams for me and 3 hydraulic rollers. Very good results. The guy is full of knowledge and very easy to talk to. I actually just got a cam package from him for a customers car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1964 Nova
350 trans w 2800 stall
355 9” rear w/28” tire
350 4Bolt +30, decked
Scat 9000 crank,
6” Scat I-beam rods,
JE forged flat tops, -6cc
AFR 195 heads,
Crane Solid flat 114681 cam (specs below)
RPM air gap,
Holley 750,
HEI.
SCR – 10.86:1
DCR – 8.17:1
Runs on 92 octane
Amazing power, Seems to Never run out of torque.

Frank T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts