Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Part 1
After completing the installation of new “Golden Star” chrome bumpers and doing the front and rear bumper tuck, I thought now would be a good time to install a 1969 Camaro Chin Spoiler onto my Nova.

Below are the installation procedures (with photos) that I used to compete this project.
I chose the 1969 Camaro Chin Spoiler because it is flat at the top center of the spoiler (unlike the 67-68 Camaro chin spoiler that has a “V” section cut out on the top center of the spoiler).
I purchased an OER 1969 Camaro Chin Spoiler from Summit Racing… and it only cost 30 bucks! The spoiler is constructed of a very solid type of plastic and it has a nice matt finish on the front.
OER 1969 Camaro Chin Spoiler Part #3938689
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-3938689/overview/year/1969/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

NOTE: You only need to purchase the chin spoiler. You DO NOT need to purchase the installation hardware and/or the support braces that are available for the Camaro. I did not need them for the Nova chin spoiler install. The hardware required for the Nova installation can be purchased from any hardware store.

The first thing I did was determine where I wanted to mount the chin spoiler with the least amount of installation complications. I also wanted the final installation to look as close to a factory install as possible (even though you would have to crawl under the car to notice the details). I decided that I was going to fabricate a bracket that attached to the lower bolts that hold the hood/grill support in place (arrows).

NOTE: The above photo is showing a 1973/74 Nova Hood/Grill Support. The Nova Hood/Grill Support and mounting location for a 1968-72 Nova is going to be different then the one shown in the photo. I believe the mounting location for the 1968-72 Nova Hood/Grill Support is the circled area. Even though the Nova Hood/Grill Support locations are different between model years, the procedures shown below will be the same.

I made a custom bracket and used the existing bolts (arrows) to attach this bracket under the Hood/Grill support to install the spoiler.

Designing and fabricating this bracket was the most time-consuming part of this project. I used a piece of 1 ½” aluminum angle stock to produce this bracket (painted flat black).

To design the bracket, I had to situate the spoiler so that the top of the spoiler was positioned equally under the front subframe.

To hold the spoiler onto the frame, I used a couple of 2” C-clamps to temporarily affix the spoiler into place (one at each end where the blue tape is shown) while I figured out how to construct the bracket shown above.

Once I had constructed the correct bracket, the rest of the installation was simple.
I removed the 2 bottom bolts (1 bolt on a 68-72 Nova) that attach the Hood/Grill support to the bottom of the radiator core support and installed the custom spoiler bracket under the Hood/Grill support and reinstalled the bolt(s). Then I attached the spoiler to the custom bracket… but I only slightly tightened the spoiler to bracket bolts so I could reposition the spoiler evenly under the side frames.

Once the spoiler was evenly spaced, I securely tightened the spoiler to bracket nuts and bolts.

NOTE: To compensate for the rise in the center of the spoiler, be sure to install a couple washers between the custom bracket and the bottom of the spoiler (arrows) if the bracket is going to be installed underneath the spoiler (washers held in place with some RTV silicon sealant).

If the bracket is going to be installed on the top of the spoiler, these extra washers are not needed.
Both installation methods will work.

The next steps are to:

*1 – Position yourself underneath the car so you can view the bottom of the spoiler as shown
*2 - Drill a 1/4" hole thru the top of the spoiler where it intersects the frame… and continue to drill the 1/4" hole thru the frame (arrow).
NOTE: It is easier to drill an 1/8” hole first… and then increase the drill bit size to enlarge the hole to the 1/4" size. BE SURE TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHEN DRILLING THESE HOLES!
*3 – Install a 1/4" bolt (with washer) thru the hole in the spoiler and frame and then install a lock washer and nut onto the bolt and securely tighten to attach the side of the spoiler onto the frame.

Repeat steps 1 thru 3 on the opposite end of the spoiler.

At this point during the install, you will notice that the spoiler is very secure to the frame and the installation is complete.
See “Part 2” for some additional installation options and a couple more photos of the final results.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Part 2
The following steps to install a 1969 Camaro Chin Spoiler onto a 3rd Gen Nova are completely optional and are not required. I documented the following steps for those that want to add some additional support braces to the installation of their chin spoilers.

Cut a piece of shirt hanger wire about 6”- 7” long. You will be using this piece of wire as a template for the spoiler’s lower support braces.
Start by making a couple of bends to the ends of the wire as shown in the photo below.

Hold one end of the bent wire over the bottom corner hole in the spoiler and hold the other end of the wire against the frame (where you just installed the side 1/4" nuts and bolts). Adjust the angles in the bends until they sit flush against the bottom of the spoiler and the frame at the same time.

Once you are satisfied with the bends in your wire template, use them to fabricate a couple of support braces.

I used 1/2” wide x 1/8” thick steel bar stock (it’s what I already had in my garage)… but aluminum bar stock would work just as well. Be sure to drill the 1/4" holes on both ends of the braces BEFORE you make the bends.

Adjust the bends in these braces until they fit flush to the spoiler and the frame as shown below… then attach one end of the brace to the bottom of the spoiler and position the other end on a flat spot on the bottom of the frame.

Next, drill a 1/4" hole (thru the hole that was pre-drilled in the support brace) into the frame (arrow). Remember - Eye Protection!
Then attach the frame brace with 1/4" hardware in the same fashion that was done to attach the upper sides of the spoiler (circle).
Repeat these steps on the other side of the spoiler.
NOTE: The installation of a Center Brace is not needed.

I feel that I achieved my goal of a clean and sturdy installation.

Below are some additional photos of the final results.

The chin spoiler is also positioned so that it directs air up into the radiator… but the real reason I installed the spoiler was because it looks cool :yes:!!!
The addition of this spoiler definitely gave my Nova a much more sporty, aggressive look.

Reactions: exotec

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,030 Posts
Awsome like the rest of your Nova.
Now that you have experience with this maybe you would fab up the parts and give to me.....

what collared? slotted fastener did you use to mount the additional support to the spoiler? nice detail

I wonder if the would the fender support bars would fit there?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now that you have experience with this maybe you would fab up the parts and give to me.....
I thought about producing and marketing a chin spoiler installation bracket that would work for all 3rd Gen Novas... but the bracket design would need to be "tweaked" to compensate for the different 3rd Gen model years and variations in core support to frame bushing wear. I'm not saying it can't be done, I would just have to see how much interest there would be in something like this.

what collared? slotted fastener did you use to mount the additional support to the spoiler? nice detail
You have a good eye! I think you are referring to the fastener circled in the photo below.

It is just a 1/4" Round Head Machine Bolt that I filed the head down flat (for a lower profile) and then painted black.
Below is a photo of this same Round Head Machine Bolt before it was filed and painted.

To me... it's the little details that count.

I wonder if the fender support bars would fit there?
I purposely attached the home made support braces to the frame just in case I was to hit something solid with the spoiler. The spoiler would break... or the support braces would bend well before effecting the frame.

If support braces were connected from the spoiler to the fender, the fender could be damaged due to a spoiler strike. This is the reason why many of the 1st Gen Camaros do not install the spoiler support bars since they attach to the lower valance on the Camaro... and they would rather replace a 30 dollar spoiler then an expensive lower valance if the chin spoiler were to hit something substantial.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your photos and installation info on this. You did a fantastic job and it looks perfect on your car! You have me seriously considering one for mine.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,030 Posts
I thought about producing and marketing a chin spoiler installation bracket that would work for all 3rd Gen Novas... but the bracket design would need to be "tweaked" to compensate for the different 3rd Gen model years and variations in core support to frame bushing wear. I'm not saying it can't be done, I would just have to see how much interest there would be in something like this.

You have a good eye! I think you are referring to the fastener circled in the photo below.

It is just a 1/4" Round Head Machine Bolt that I filed the head down flat (for a lower profile) and then painted black.
Below is a photo of this same Round Head Machine Bolt before it was filed and painted.

To me... it's the little details that count.

I purposely attached the home made support braces to the frame just in case I was to hit something solid with the spoiler. The spoiler would break... or the support braces would bend well before effecting the frame.

If support braces were connected from the spoiler to the fender, the fender could be damaged due to a spoiler strike. This is the reason why many of the 1st Gen Camaros do not install the spoiler support bars since they attach to the lower valance on the Camaro... and they would rather replace a 30 dollar spoiler then an expensive lower valance if the chin spoiler were to hit something substantial.
that is interesting and smart.
What I was referring to is would these fender support bars( I mistakenly called them braces) work. I realize you don't have specs on this I just had a thought.......I have them now and again...LOL
I bought a set and when I saw your fabrication I thought these might work. for 12 bucks .....

https://www.ss396.com/nova/RFB-1616C.html?search_query_insert=Y&search_query=fender&search_results=40&conversion_insert=Y&conversion_product_id=19463&cartype=nova&year=1973

PN RFB-1616C

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,030 Posts

No No. I just want you to make one for ME.....I can pay you in beer/ free day pass at my pool. Maybe some meat cooked on the grill as well....

chin spoiler is on my wish list thanks for providing the link.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I was referring to is would these fender support bars( I mistakenly called them braces) work. I realize you don't have specs on this I just had a thought.......I have them now and again...LOL
I bought a set and when I saw your fabrication I thought these might work. for 12 bucks .....
https://www.ss396.com/nova/RFB-1616C.html?search_query_insert=Y&search_query=fender&search_results=40&conversion_insert=Y&conversion_product_id=19463&cartype=nova&year=1973
I think I understand your original question now... use the bars shown in your link instead of having the fabricate custom support bars.

I don't see why not. You may have to tweak the bends on the fender support bars (that should be easy) and the mounting location may be a little further down on the frame.
If you feel that the fender support bars are too long, I suppose you could always cut off one end of the bars to the length you want and then flatten the cut ends with a hammer or vise... and then re-drill a new hole into the flattened ends.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No No. I just want you to make one for ME...
chin spoiler is on my wish list thanks for providing the link.
Hello Rupertflood. If you need help with the chin spoiler install and are willing to swing by the Hunt Valley/Timonium MD area with your Nova, I'd be happy to help you out.
Since I used my last piece of aluminum angle stock to make my bracket, I would just need you to cover the cost of materials.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,030 Posts
much thanks man, Ill be in touch probably in the early fall.

Ill Pm ya.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts