Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello new to the board and my 1st post!

I have a 1968 Nova that im having worked on. Im having the steering converted to a power rack but the shop that im having the work done with is telling me the angle of the new rack is wrong, im starting to have my doubts about this shop but would i need something special to make the connection from the original shaft to the new power rack? It seems the angle is wrong but im not sure.

The rack i ordered is from https://www.performanceonline.com/Manual-Steering-Rack-and-Pinion-Conversion-Kit-for-67-69-Camaro-and-1968-74-Chevy-Nova/

Please help, im getting desperate here!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Now let me start by stating that I don't have a 3rd gen Nova. Mine is a a 1962 2-dr post. The short answer is, the shop may be correc, but I should be solvable. The question is, w/ how much effort?

With the link/photos you've posted, it sure looks like that R & P is a Unisteer set-up. What makes me think that's the one, is the input shaft angle of the R & P and the part # POL referenced. The input shaft is darn near vertical to the ground plane and that part # is a Unisteer #. Now it may not make difference, but POL's part # & description refers to a "Manual" R & P and so does Unisteer. I've posted their (Unisteer's) link:

http://www.unisteer.com/nova/search-by-vehicle/chevrolet/nova/rack-pinion-kits.html

What follows is just my experience w/ a Unisteer product that's similar to the one you've indicated;

I had a similar unit, albeit for 1st gen.. While it was fairly straight forward to install, provided you followed ALL of the instructions and had the right components they say you need, the overall performance was lacking. Bump steer issues and reduced turning radius. My overall experience wasn't a good one. Needless to say, I tossed it in favor of a Churcboys front end. Now that said, you're probably going to have to run a third u-joint. Unisteer has a unique u-jnt design, and theirs was the only I could get to work, w/ the addition of intermediate heim joint w/ a support bracket. One of the photos you've posted looks as thought the shop is using a Borgeson UJ. I tried that w/ my install and couldn't get them to work. I had to use Unisteer's U Jts. In addition, the angle from my steering column to the input shaft was too great for a pair of u-joints to work. That's why I had to use three w/ a heim. I had stock exhaust manifolds as well and still needed three. The headers you have may require modification as well. I know in my case, Unisteer stated that only Hedman headers or stock manifolds would work w/ out modifications. You might want to check what Unisteer recommends for your application.

I hope this insight will give you a little help w/ solving your problem.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rack

Agree fully with "C2" with a couple exceptions or maybe just updates... Mine too is a first gen 64SS and I installed a Unisteer that looks identical with mine being a power rack and pinion. Bump steer and turning radius has been fixed in the new racks and the one you have pictured looks to mount as mine and to the motor mounts. I run Hooker Pro-Comp headers and no issue or interference problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts