Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As I understand this, Bill Thomas’ task was to make Nova a SCCA
ready race car. Not a styling exercise following in footsteps of some Rambler or Plymouth.

IMO, the bigger picture is,

1962, 409 rules S/S
1963, Corvette Grand Sport outruns Cobra first time out
1963, Z11 rips thru NHRA
1963, 427 Mystery Motor is 5 mph faster than factory Fords @ Daytona
1963, Chevrolet goes after SCCA

Early 1963, GM quits, leaving all racing to the Fopars.

What if ? 😁

·
Super Moderator
4,255 Posts
You are right on about Thomas' task with the closed circuit prepared fastbacks. They were ready for Sebring just as the plug was pulled. We'll never know how good the mystery motor or 427 would be for stock car racing for the rest of the decade without the support, and only marginally how good at the drags for the lack of support.

Didn't know about the Tarpon, but with the side view, Gillis has a strong play comparing the two.

They were all the rage from the early '60's on, for at least a decade or more. But there are good looking versions, and some that just kind of miss the mark. I believe there were at least two designs to the fastback top B.T. put on cars, but only have photos to go on. But the curves and lines are so complex that just a little slip here or there, and the fastback doesn't look all that great. Very much has to balance with the size and length of the car as well. Barracuda, first and second generation, I have always liked, and I think they got the styling right.

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This might answer how good the 427 Mystery Motor was....

165.183 mph

In February at Daytona, the Mark II enginewas an absolute sensation, as Junior Johnson and NASCAR rookie Johnny Rutherford each ran away with their respective qualifying races, and Rutherford (above) threw down a lap of 165.183 mph, a closed-course speed record.Feb 4, 2015”

Remember this was “just out of the box”. It was rumored Ford spent a million trying to catch Junior Johnson

As to the Z 11, video pretty much speaks for itself.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
I am crazy about the fastback Novas. My understanding (thanks Frank) was that 3 or 4 ‘62 convertibles were pulled off the line as bodies in white and delivered to Bill Thomas for SCCA creation. The plug got pulled but GM allowed Bill Thomas to keep the cars and sell them to recover some of the money he had spent. Bill was a Rochester fuel injection guru so the would have had 327s in them. The fiberglass fastback was made in California and were available for anyone to purchase. I have a picture of a street driven fastback that supposedly is in California some where. The CKC racing team got one to build, Allen Green Chevrolet, and Hubert Platt built the Dixie Twister. One was destroyed in a crash while racing. There is a controversial fastback in the Northeast that was raced with a Rochester injected small block that is at least very, very close to the other 3 cars. It is in storage and the original owner’s son is very reluctant to even talk about it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I am crazy about the fastback Novas. My understanding (thanks Frank) was that 3 or 4 ‘62 convertibles were pulled off the line as bodies in white and delivered to Bill Thomas for SCCA creation. The plug got pulled but GM allowed Bill Thomas to keep the cars and sell them to recover some of the money he had spent. Bill was a Rochester fuel injection guru so the would have had 327s in them. The fiberglass fastback was made in California and were available for anyone to purchase. I have a picture of a street driven fastback that supposedly is in California some where. The CKC racing team got one to build, Allen Green Chevrolet, and Hubert Platt built the Dixie Twister. One was destroyed in a crash while racing. There is a controversial fastback in the Northeast that was raced with a Rochester injected small block that is at least very, very close to the other 3 cars. It is in storage and the original owner’s son is very reluctant to even talk about it.
forget talking about it: how about some photos! 😄 love those fastbacks myself.

i was harvesting parts from a 'vert that was not very saveable. and then realized, months later, it could have been "fastbacked." it's gone now. oops.

-Rusty

·
Super Moderator
4,255 Posts
IMG_0022.jpeg

Two of the fastbacks back in the day at Bill Thomas Race cars, '63. Just before the plug was pulled. Sorry the quality is so bad, the original was so rough. Unclear as to whether they had fiberglas doors or not at this time, but we know the roofs were. Prepared for road racing with Corvette IRS, 4-speed and 327s. He said they were prepared for Sebring, but never got raced until after they were sold, and likely not on a closed circuit.

·
Registered
932 Posts
View attachment 415601

Two of the fastbacks back in the day at Bill Thomas Race cars, '63. Just before the plug was pulled. Sorry the quality is so bad, the original was so rough. Unclear as to whether they had fiberglas doors or not at this time, but we know the roofs were. Prepared for road racing with Corvette IRS, 4-speed and 327s. He said they were prepared for Sebring, but never got raced until after they were sold, and likely not on a closed circuit.
did you take these photos? guessing those molds are long gone. wonder how they were fit up, and if the seams looked weird, etc. and how they mated it to the 'vert body. the whole deal just really intrigues me. very envious if you were able to see these in person.

thanks for the photo. no need to apologize for the quality, as it is a fantastic image, as-is.

-Rusty

·
Super Moderator
4,255 Posts
I got the photo and some others from Bill Thomas. I had the chance to get to know him about 30 years ago. He knew I was a Nova nut, and as he went through some old stuff, he'd bring me odd pictures he had found. I used to talk to him about what his shop did, and ask him questions. Nice guy. Got to know one of his main wrenches too, Warren Williams.

Photo was taken not long before I was born.

·
Registered
66 Nova SS
3,768 Posts
Does anyone remember the Barracuda called[ Hemi under glass] back in the mid 60 it made the rounds of the drag strips

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Does anyone remember the Barracuda called[ Hemi under glass] back in the mid 60 it made the rounds of the drag strips
I’ve got an autographed picture in of him. I went to the snap-on nationals in 94. He was there doing his wheelie all the way down the track. Pretty cool. Think his name was Bob Riggle???

·
Registered
932 Posts
I got the photo and some others from Bill Thomas. I had the chance to get to know him about 30 years ago. He knew I was a Nova nut, and as he went through some old stuff, he'd bring me odd pictures he had found. I used to talk to him about what his shop did, and ask him questions. Nice guy. Got to know one of his main wrenches too, Warren Williams.

Photo was taken not long before I was born.
ah, gotcha. lucky to get those photos, nonetheless. love these guys that have accomplished so much, it is just another day for them. wow.

wonder if any mag has ever done a write-up on these fastbacks? that would be an awesome research project. would love to chase those leads!

-Rusty

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went to a rod and custom show in January 2019 in Lebanon Valley Pa. They had a fastback Nova there un restored and in very bad shape. I believe it was converted into a funny car because it had a tube axel and the frontend was stretched.I believe the rear axel was moved forward also. I have pics but don't know how to post. They are on my iphone.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I went to a rod and custom show in January 2019 in Lebanon Valley Pa. They had a fastback Nova there un restored and in very bad shape. I believe it was converted into a funny car because it had a tube axel and the frontend was stretched.I believe the rear axel was moved forward also. I have pics but don't know how to post. They are on my iphone.
From what I remember seeing, it was the remains of the formerly CKC Racing fastback.

Guy by the last name of Milner(really!) who was a mechanic and the driver of the Alan Green car confirmed that the Green Chevrolet car was destroyed in a racing accident by the owners after Green Chevrolet. It is long gone.
i believe it was on the Yenko Registry forum.

·
Registered
932 Posts
From what I remember seeing, it was the remains of the formerly CKC Racing fastback.

Guy by the last name of Milner(really!) who was a mechanic and the driver of the Alan Green car confirmed that the Green Chevrolet car was destroyed in a racing accident by the owners after Green Chevrolet. It is long gone.
i believe it was on the Yenko Registry forum.
Milner..? c'mon! next you'll say you just went bass fishing and... 😄

seriously, though, it would be really cool if you guys could share pics of the car.

-Rusty

·
Registered
652 Posts
Milner..? c'mon! next you'll say you just went bass fishing and... 😄

seriously, though, it would be really cool if you guys could share pics of the car.

-Rusty
Just do a search...Alan Green shop mechanic was **** (Richard)Milner, driver of the Alan Green Chevy II Fastback, among other
cars he drove for them.

Eff'n forum nanny's won't allow that man's name ? "D l C K" Sheeshus:rolleyes:

His daughter joins a forum discussion on the Yenko Registry at post #25 in this old thread...her Dad's 70th birthday was coming up(2007)
Bill Thomas Chevy II Fastback - Page 3 - The Supercar Registry (yenko.net)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just do a search...Alan Green shop mechanic was **** (Richard)Milner, driver of the Alan Green Chevy II Fastback, among other
cars he drove for them.

Eff'n forum nanny's won't allow that man's name ? "D l C K" Sheeshus:rolleyes:

His daughter joins a forum discussion on the Yenko Registry at post #25 in this old thread...her Dad's 70th birthday was coming up(2007)
Bill Thomas Chevy II Fastback - Page 3 - The Supercar Registry (yenko.net)
i was just teasing, hence the smiley face. sometimes it fails to show in the written word. in person i was chuckling, as it certainly was amusing that his name is Milner--like in the movie.

did a quick search, and that CKC car was a '63, and looks absolutely awesome with the hood on, plus clear scoop. hopefully someone has restored it to its mad awesome glory.

-Rusty

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,056 Posts
i was just teasing, hence the smiley face. sometimes it fails to show in the written word. in person i was chuckling, as it certainly was amusing that his name is Milner--like in the movie.

did a quick search, and that CKC car was a '63, and looks absolutely awesome with the hood on, plus clear scoop. hopefully someone has restored it to its mad awesome glory.

-Rusty
There it IS = in post # 5 . . . by 'Nova Thug' . . .aka - Joe .

look on the "lower part of the DOOR" . . . . . ' there you go ' . . .

(you missed it ) , back on page # 1 ......................................................................

there could be a TEST , at th' end of "class" .

hey - - I'm just saying . . . .

. . . . jim

Reactions: Rusty63

·
Registered
932 Posts
There it IS = in post # 5 . . . by 'Nova Thug' . . .aka - Joe .

View attachment 417890

look on the "lower part of the DOOR" . . . . . ' there you go ' . . .

(you missed it ) , back on page # 1 ......................................................................

there could be a TEST , at th' end of "class" .

hey - - I'm just saying . . . .

. . . . jim
mind if i call you "old eagle-eye Jim" instead of just Jim? :)

hopefully my eyesight gets better as i age...here's to hoping!

-Rusty

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,056 Posts
the above picture WILL enlarge . . . just one click , please .

21 - 39 of 39 Posts