183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

043-platt-chevy-grille

SEE ALL 68 PHOTOS
Dixie Twister Chevy II
Who: Rocky Platt
What: A/FX 1965 Chevy II Fastback
Where: Kennesaw, GA
The story behind these rare cars begins with Bill Thomas Race Cars (BTRC), formerly of Anaheim, California. Known for building a 1961 Impala that was road raced by Dan Gurney and later the Chevy-powered Cheetah track car, BTRC received a handful 1963-model Chevy II convertibles that was retrofitted with a new fastback roofline that extended over the rear trunklid, transforming the look of the car. Intended for use in road racing, the project ended suddenly when the SCCA rejected the cars. GM then suddenly dropped all support to abide by the AMA racing ban in 1963. Outlawed and orphaned, it appeared that these four to five vehicles were headed for the crusher until Chevrolet allowed him to sell the cars to recoup the money he was owed.”

One of these Chevy ll’s (re-creation) ended up as Huston Platt’s 427 A/FX car.

Now runs sometimes as a
South East Gasser.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ugly, yes. But pretty freakun cool too.
I remember when the interwebs were just coming to regular folk, like me. The first time I found out about these cars was like discovering a cool weird uncle that you never knew you had.
I've wondered what a 2nd gen hdtp, with a 63 Stingray fastback would look like..?

·
Super Moderator
9,955 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I feel that the Barracuda is a more stable platform then the Nova.. Also, there is a functional aspect to the rear cargo trunk area as the bulkhead between the trunk and the passenger compartment folds down and the rear seat folds down as well and this opens up the floor space from the tail panel to the front seats. Easily a couple of adults could lay down in this flat area.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pretty cool. I did some more research on Huston Platt and his racing days, and how the last drag car he had ended up about 10 minutes away from me in Halifax, Nova Scotia. His old crew chief found the car a few years back, drug it back to Georgia and restored it back to its racing days. It wasn’t the fastback Nova though, it was a funny car that he’d graduated to after that. Wish I knew about it being so close to me, I’d love to have that now!

·
Super Moderator
4,255 Posts
Joe, love that Barracuda, too! Much heavier than a Nova, because of the glass. The Mopar fastbacks were good looking--except the Monaco--and I always wanted a Charger. I don't think they're ugly at all, and in street trim they make a pretty cool looking vehicle to go get groceries. Just that, unlike the Barracuda, there's no function to the fastback part of the car for storage.

The fastback you pictured I believe is the same car as the white primered one shown in NovaPwr's post, the Alan Green car. It was for sale about 30 years ago in Hemmings for a pile of money, and I believe someone in Northern California bought the car. Absolutely love the recreation of the Dixie Twister, and it helps make an oldies drag day a real blast from the past. Guess the '65 SS trim doesn't make it go any faster. Interesting initial post that ends with quotation marks but doesn't start with any...hmmm. I recognize some of the language. This is the first I ever heard that the cars were headed to the crusher at all, and I find it hard to believe that.

The Nova fastbacks predate the Marlin.

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
“. Interesting initial post that ends with quotation marks but doesn't start with any...hmmm”

you missed beginning “ marks ?
hmmmmm

·
14,326 Posts
Ok Then the Marlin took styling cues from the fastback Nova.
If the rear side windows were longer, the Chevy II fastback it would be a dead ringer for the AMC Rambler Tarpon concept of 1963. From what I've read, the mid sized Marlin
was based on the compact Tarpon. No mention of a fastback Chevy II in anything I've read.

Bob
Rambler Tarpon.jpg

Reactions: kcmocarguy
1 - 20 of 39 Posts