Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
On first generation cars, its the trim level. 100 series, 200 series, 300 series and 400 series (Nova) . I am sure there is a better explanation and its probably different by generations. My 62 is a Nova because it came from the factory as a 400 series.
Ron

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I know 68 was the last year to where the Chevy II name plate!:yes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't believe that a 66 SS is a NOVA. It is just a Chevy II SS. 65 and 67's are Nova SS's but I know of nowhere on a 66 SS that says NOVA. I could be wrong. JOMO.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
what makes a nova a nova and a chevy II a chevy II
For 1962-63 the car was called Chevy II. It came in 3 levels: the base 100-series, the mid level 300-series and the top level 400 Nova series. There was no 200-series. All cars were Chevy II's but only the 400-series were Novas. Also, the SS was only available in the 400 series so all Super Sports were also Novas.

For 1964-67 the car was still called Chevy II. It came in only 2 levels: the base 100-series and the top level 400 Nova series. There was still no 200-series and the 300-series was dropped. Again all cars were Chevy II's but only the 400-series were Novas. Again, the SS was only available in the 400-series so all Super Sports were also Novas.

For 1968 the car was still called Chevy II but the 100-series was dropped and the 400-series name was dropped. All cars were called Chevy II Novas.

For 1969-up the Chevy II name was dropped altogether and all cars were called Novas.

So, all 1962-68 Novas are Chevy II's but only 400-series Chevy II were Novas (that includes all Super Sports).

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I don't believe that a 66 SS is a NOVA. It is just a Chevy II SS. 65 and 67's are Nova SS's but I know of nowhere on a 66 SS that says NOVA. I could be wrong. JOMO.
While the 1966 SS does not have a "Nova" emblem on the car it was still a Nova. The SS package was only available on the 400 Nova series models. You could not order the SS package on the 100-series Chevy II.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
So then while not all Nova's were SS's, all SS's were Novas then?

·
Registered
161 Posts
ChevyII vs Nova

Yes. Just like not all 1962-67 Chevy II's were Novas but all 1962-67 Novas were Chevy II's.
WOW!!!!!! Is this confusing :) Well I have a 1962 ChevyII that had the 400 trim on it before I stripped it all off. I,ve always told every one it was a ChevyII,Even heard them refered to as the DEUCE. Altho I ended up putting a 63 grill in it,no 62,s avail.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
WOW!!!!!! Is this confusing :) Well I have a 1962 ChevyII that had the 400 trim on it before I stripped it all off. I,ve always told every one it was a ChevyII,Even heard them refered to as the DEUCE. Altho I ended up putting a 63 grill in it,no 62,s avail.
Whats the VIN? If it starts with 20437 then it's a 400-series Chevy II Nova.

For 1962 if the VIN begins with:
- 201?? or 202?? it's a Chevy II 100-series.
- 203??, 20411, 20445 or 20469 it's a Chevy II 300-series.
- 20435, 20437, 20441, 20449 or 20467 it's a Chevy II Nova 400-series.

·
Registered
161 Posts
ChevyII vs Nova

Whats the VIN? If it starts with 20437 then it's a 400-series Chevy II Nova.

For 1962 if the VIN begins with:
- 201?? or 202?? it's a Chevy II 100-series.
- 203??, 20411, 20445 or 20469 it's a Chevy II 300-series.
- 20435, 20437, 20441, 20449 or 20467 it's a Chevy II Nova 400-series.
My Vin begins with 2043XXXXXX so My chevyII is a Nova. DAUHHHH :) It says Nova 400 right on my dash. LOL,But there used to be ChevyII emblems on the side?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Ok, so the early cars, the Nova was a trim level, like the Ventura on Catalina's, or the tri-five Bel Air's? But it was still just a Chevy II with the Nova trim?

·
13,715 Posts
Ok, so the early cars, the Nova was a trim level, like the Ventura on Catalina's, or the tri-five Bel Air's? But it was still just a Chevy II with the Nova trim?
Another example. In 1966 Chevelle was the name of a car. The model names of that car were 300, Malibu and Malibu SS. In 1966 Chevy II was the name of a car. Model names of that car were 100, Nova, Nova SS. Basically, the same thing.

Bob

·
Registered
161 Posts
Another example. In 1966 Chevelle was the name of a car. The model names of that car were 300, Malibu and Malibu SS. In 1966 Chevy II was the name of a car. Model names of that car were 100, Nova, Nova SS. Basically, the same thing.

Bob
This is my 55 Belair. Ive owned 210,s as well. Your right,nothing but trim change,s.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My Vin begins with 2043XXXXXX so My chevyII is a Nova. DAUHHHH :) It says Nova 400 right on my dash. LOL,But there used to be ChevyII emblems on the side?
Yes, it is a Nova but it's also a Chevy II. It's a Chevy II Nova.

That's correct. Just like the Corvair Monza. All Monzas (Excluding the 70's Monzas) were Corvairs but not all Corvairs were Monzas.

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Now we know why you chose Roger That. The inside of your car looks like an airplane cockpit. Do you have a map to operate all those switches and gizmos.:devil::eek::D

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Does anyone know why Chevy went that route? Chevy II or Nova...why not all Nova or all Chevy II? what was the purpose if they were all one in the same?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Switches etc

Now we know why you chose Roger That. The inside of your car looks like an airplane cockpit. Do you have a map to operate all those switches and gizmos.:devil::eek::D
Well my name is Roger,,so I came up with the "that" part :) Even tho I restored this NOVA back to original,well kinda, it is still tagged and insured for the street. Most guys when they build a race purpose car, purchase a ready made switch panel etc. I had to make my own console and switch panels etc. The car has Nitrous,line lock, NOS purge, has two seperate fuel systems ,due to the NOS, and I made every thing extra safe as far as Ignition timeing/retard etc,so you see more there than you would in a reg street use car. But mine is pretty simple compared to many. That utilize air shifters,tranny brake, auto every thing that gets programmed from a lap top. any way, thats it, from an Old Guy too :)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Does anyone know why Chevy went that route? Chevy II or Nova...why not all Nova or all Chevy II? what was the purpose if they were all one in the same?
They weren't all the same. The 100-series was the base model Chevy II with few standard features while the Nova 400-series was the top of the line Chevy II with most standard features.

Chevy did it with a lot of their cars:
- full size Chevy: Delray / Biscayne / Bel Air / Impala / Caprice
- Chevelle: 300 Deluxe / Malibu
- Corvair: Monza / Monza Spyder

1 - 20 of 38 Posts