Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was brought up on the camaros.net site and maybe we need to add a forum section for this ?

From the Camaro site: Does anyone know of a Chevy II/Nova forum that has a section dedicated to "Orphans", like the Camaro Research Group (CRG) has? The CRG Orphans Section is a listing of known Camaro VIN specific original drivetrain items (blocks and transmissions) and documents (such as Protecto-Plates, Dealer Shippers, etc.), currently in various forum members' possession that have been separated from the car they were "born" with, in the hope that by advertising their existence, an owner of a car can be reunited with their car's original VIN stamped drivetrain component and/or documentation. I'm asking because a friend has a VIN stamped M21 that belongs to an early Nova and together we're trying to find the car's current owner.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
3,415 Posts
Love that post. What better site than here? This should be the go-to place for finding orphan Nova and Chevy II components, POP's and cars. Often, earlier cars have no history, so perhaps car history and a current car can be matched. I like the idea a lot. If not a forum itself, perhaps at least a sticky or featured thread. It's a great idea, and let's get some member feedback.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
That is good thinking = " Orphan Nova Parts & Components " section : engines ; transmissions ; ect .
and, since my 69 was a very 'original car' when I bought it , I have / see things that some owners never see.
Even common things that were installed as New . . . then, things change from the " 1st oil-change " forward.

I do think this would be a good up-grade for the site …………………. CRG has very Great info / research info
for those Camaros of all years ; with some info caring-over to our Nova line.

This has got my (y)'s ……. like ……….. jim

·
Registered
72 Posts
Totally agree!

My original Muncie M21 trans is MIA. The PO (affectionately named 'HotRod') told me it ended up in a 'sold' 60's Impala. I'd love to find it.

I currently have a Muncie dated earlier than my Nova:
Vin# is 6K139205, and it's labeled as originating from a 1970 Chevelle 454. But that's doubtful in my view.
Main case is #3885010. It's also stamped P0609. It has no oil drain plug. So, I know it's prior to 1970. Likely, the internals have been swapped out for post-1969 stuff. The shift-studs would so indicate since they are tapped holes. The extension is #3857584 and the output shaft matches my original driveshaft. The side cover is #3952648 indicating later than 1970.

For all I know, my case is from a 1965 Corvette and the internals are from the 1970 Malibu.

If there isn't a better example of the need for such a thread or category such as "Orphan Parts," I don't know what is.

If I can't find my original case, I'll work with what I have.

Complete information is necessary: Course input spline w/ fine output spline is not easy to find !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts