Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 speed Powerglide torque

was wondering if anyone can help or suggest anything for me. i have a 63 chevy ii nova, all original, and several years ago had my tranny rebuilt. 194 6cyl. engine. and when i'm out driving around and stop at a light, my nova vibrates terrible. whole car sounds like every pc of trim is going to come off. if i put the car in neutral, it is fine. i had a 62 with everything the same and had none of this. so my ???? is, any type of adjustment that i can make? did they do something wrong or adjusted wrong when they re-did the tranny? any help or advice would be great.

thanks
rewtiger

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
was wondering if anyone can help or suggest anything for me. i have a 63 chevy ii nova, all original, and several years ago had my tranny rebuilt. 194 6cyl. engine. and when i'm out driving around and stop at a light, my nova vibrates terrible. whole car sounds like every pc of trim is going to come off. if i put the car in neutral, it is fine. i had a 62 with everything the same and had none of this. so my ???? is, any type of adjustment that i can make? did they do something wrong or adjusted wrong when they re-did the tranny? any help or advice would be great.

thanks
rewtiger

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
everything is all but new, not even 1500 miles since done or changed out. nothing broken or leaking. everything was new.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did this start right after the trans rebuild or come on a couple of years later?

Could you have a sick cylinder that is making the engine shake at idle? You could pull the inspection cover from the powerglide and check the torque converter to flex plate for loose bolts.

Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
has done it since the tranny was rebuilt. no cylinder going bad, or it would do it all the time. when placed in neutral it is fine. just seems like alot of torque in drive, sometimes when i put in reverse it chirps the tires. engine was rebuilt several years ago, but i don't think has 5000 miles on it

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
A vacuum leak could be the problem too, will the problem go away if you allow the car to roll freely in gear on a level road. Do you have a power brake booster? Do you have the same problem with the car stopped at a stand still in reverse too?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, understand that. it does do it in reverse also, i do not have a power brake unit. as soon as i give it gas it goes away, and when driving normally it all but goes away, unless i put load on it, like going up hills and such

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Does it make noise too? Could be a cracked or broked flexplate. Possibly a miss in the engine. When driving you don't feel it. Under a slight load, it vibrates. Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it only does it when i'm stopped at a light or in drive with the brakes on, also in reverse same situation. driving it it is fine, in neutral is fine. flexplate is fine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts