Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me the differences between the 396ci that came from the factory in a 69 SS 396 Nova or Camaro, etc and the 396ci that came from the factory in 69 C20 Chevy pickup truck?

Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why you ask ??? Because I was interested in knowing what the mechanical, specs, etc differences between the two motors were and this site is a great place to get the correct info. Another reason why, is that I wondered if I one is better than the other to do a build up on?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
You'll need to check the engine codes because there were several 396 engines, but if I had to guess your truck engine is probably very similar to the 396 325 Hp engine.
Bore and stroke will be the same as the car 396. Compression ratio, cam specs and cylinder heads are most likely variables.
If you are planning on rebuilding and hot-rodding it, then none of that is a real issue.

Get the book 'How to Hot Rod Big block Chevy engines' by Bill Fisher

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had some people tell me that some of the BBC truck engines were what they called a high deck or tall deck engine or something like that. They said some people preferred them for a certian build.
Ours is the original car engine, but I was thinking about saving that engine and putting a little stronger motor in the Nova. I was just wondering what this tall deck stuff was about.
Thank you, for the pic of the book, I ordered it so I will see what info it has.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
It most likely isn't a tall deck engine. They were used in the big C-60 type trucks not a C-10 or C-20. They were 366, or 427 ( Ihave heard rumors of 454) cubic inch and look the same as a normal engine at first glance. The intake is wider and often has two thermostats. The distributor is about an inch taller also on some the best I remember. I have been told both they are the same length and that they are different. The deck is higher and because of that there is about 1/2 more material above the water pump holes than a short deck engine. That book will explain the difference better than I can. Once you see it in pictures thay are easy to spot. If is apart they have TRUCK cast into the block and heads. The pullies are also different for the C-60's. A truck engine will often have double groove pullies the best I remember. The C-20 alternator bracket I used to have was a large squared off piece with a brace going back to the intake.
The tall deck engines used to be used to be popular for stroker engines years ago. The crank and rods are usable in a normal car block the rest isn't much good for anything else.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hello,

Its been a while, so this is just a best guess.

As was said the "tall deck" truck engine was (as far as I know) only available in 40-60 series style trucks. The "car" type block was what was used in most 10-30 series trucks.

As I remember most pick up 396s (1969 vintage) were very similar to the low compression pass. engines used in large cars (Impala style)? I think the heads were the major difference between this engine and the 325 hp engine used in 69.

I also "think" that the 350 hp 396 was very similar to the 325hp version with the exception of a bit "bigger" cam, and I have seen several 350hp engines that had forged, non-cross drilled, non-nitrided cranks, but I have never seen a 325hp with anything but a cast crank, but that probably means very little.

Of course there was also the 375HP engine available in pass cars, but that shared practically nothing with the 325hp model.

There was even a 2 barrel 396 available in the larger pass cars. I think I still have a few of the intakes around, I really dont know why.

Take this info with a grain of salt, its just the best I can recall.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
It most likely isn't a tall deck engine. They were used in the big C-60 type trucks not a C-10 or C-20. They were 366, or 427 ( Ihave heard rumors of 454) cubic inch and look the same as a normal engine at first glance. The intake is wider and often has two thermostats. The distributor is about an inch taller also on some the best I remember. I have been told both they are the same length and that they are different. The deck is higher and because of that there is about 1/2 more material above the water pump holes than a short deck engine. That book will explain the difference better than I can. Once you see it in pictures thay are easy to spot. If is apart they have TRUCK cast into the block and heads. The pullies are also different for the C-60's. A truck engine will often have double groove pullies the best I remember. The C-20 alternator bracket I used to have was a large squared off piece with a brace going back to the intake.
The tall deck engines used to be used to be popular for stroker engines years ago. The crank and rods are usable in a normal car block the rest isn't much good for anything else.
You are correct, there is a 454 tall deck around 79-82. I assume it's likely the same block as the 427 being the bore is the same. As stated, the tall deck blocks don't come in anything that is one ton or smaller though.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
And the only thing really any stronger in the truck tall deck engines are the crank, and sometimes the rods/ Most (if not all) truck engines came with forged steel cranks, and most had the more beefy rods with the large 7/16 bolts. Both the 366 and 427 tall deck engines use the 3.76 stroke crank, so they could be used in 396 or 427 standard engines, or put into a 454 block to make a 427. They're heavy and require quite a bit of metal removal for balancing. The reason for the tall deck block is for the pistons. These truck engines use a 4 ring piston that's .400 taller tan a car engines piston, hence the .400 taller deck height.

As for your car's 396, there's nothing weak about that engine. But if you want to run a different engine and save the original, then just get any car big block or pick-up truck big block and build it up the way you want it. A nice 454 wouldn't be hard to find at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts