Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,226 Posts
Jim, I live in Mount Juliet, TN.... Thanks for the invitation. Would be a honor for me drive a Chevy Nova... because I never did it....rssss... let me explain myself: did you already heard about the Chevrolet Opala (made in Brazil)? Yes... I have one, and inline 6 250... same Nova's engine use a ... so, I'm searching parts for my 1988 Chevrolet Opala! View attachment 415355

Luis ..................

Those "split-exhaust - manifolds" will work Great . . . . . . . just check that your 250 motor has the
'older style "removeable intake / exhaust manifold" and . . . . not the = one piece head / intake together.
And , good luck ; looking forward to your up-grades .

later , jim

and ,
I like the looks of your car - - - - Opala .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Those "split-exhaust - manifolds" will work Great . . . . . . . just check that your 250 motor has the
'older style "removeable intake / exhaust manifold" and . . . . not the = one piece head / intake together.
And , good luck ; looking forward to your up-grades .
Hi Jim, yes my engine has these parts separate... I can change the intake manifold, keeping the exhaust manifold if I wanna to. I will try to figure out how much could cost to build a new one here in US... in the worst scenario, I will buy one in Brazil and bring to here. if do you wanna follow the car, join at my vlog at YouTube and Instagram: "Brazilian Garage". I'm speaking in Portuguese, but i know that you will understand the video / pictures. Thank you!

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,226 Posts
Hey Luis . . . . (bump to th' top) .

I sure hope 'all is well & good at your place' . . . . . . . . .
Then, i came across this post again - - -
Do you know about this 'intake / exhaust manifold gasket' - for using on your Opala 250 engine .
If you install = or = change your intake - or - exhaust manifolds . . . . . . it's a "thicker gasket" . . and could
help "seal any exhaust leaks you could have " (I bought this gasket - but , i did not use it - I used
a stock Fel-Pro Chevy Six Exh / intake gasket set ) ;

Fel Pro - 250 intake gasket set = . . . . . . (if you get a good alignment between your intake / exhaust
manifold , this gasket will work .

CHEVROLET Fel-Pro MS9786 Fel-Pro Intake and Exhaust Manifold Gasket Sets | Summit Racing
................ $ 10.99

or Rem Flex 250ci (thicker) Intake gasket set ; . . . . . (if you have any " gaps " between your
" intake / exhaust manifold , this gasket will work ' better ' .

Remflex Inc. 2034 Remflex Exhaust Header Gasket Sets | Summit Racing
.............. $ 43.19

just passing along some good info .

stay safe out there . . . . .

later , jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Do you know about this 'intake / exhaust manifold gasket' - for using on your Opala 250 engine .
If you install = or = change your intake - or - exhaust manifolds . . . . . . it's a "thicker gasket" . . and could
help "seal any exhaust leaks you could have " (I bought this gasket - but , i did not use it - I used

Fel Pro - 250 intake gasket set = . . . . . . (if you get a good alignment between your intake / exhaust

CHEVROLET Fel-Pro MS9786 Fel-Pro Intake and Exhaust Manifold Gasket Sets | Summit Racing
................ $ 10.99

or Rem Flex 250ci (thicker) Intake gasket set ; . . . . . (if you have any " gaps " between your

.............. $ 43.19

later , jim

................ $ 10.99

.............. $ 43.19

later , jim
Hi Jim... hi everyone, just to update you guys, but I decided to import the headers from Brazil. I decided to keep using original parts that we have in Brazil for our Opala and in the end, I'm guessing will be easier to install here. Just replace the gasket and install a new and customized tailpipe.

About the plates, I decided to use an Antique Plate while I'm still working to pass at the smog test, and this is why I'm here again: I would like to replace the spark wire set... so can someone give me a recommendation from where I can buy a good wire set? I would like one made of Silicone with at least 8.0mm wire diameter. Thank you guys for your support. Luis Tavares

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I am using NAPA #700237 in my 68 with inline 250. That part number was used for Chevy trucks in 1975 - 1976 with inline 6.

I do not know if they are 8mm, but they are working very good.

Lou, central Arkansas USA

·
Super Moderator
4,376 Posts
You're kidding, right? Opala? Like Opel/Impala? Mind blower. Drivetrain from the '70's and kind of a mix of Holden, Cavalier and Nova. They made a decent looking coupe out of the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I found the following on the internet ---- Quote -----
The Chevrolet Opala is a Brazilian executive car sold under the Chevrolet brand in South America from 1969 to 1992, by General Motors do Brasil. ... It was replaced by the Chevrolet Omega in 1992, also an Opel spinoff. It was the first passenger car built by GM in Brazil by the General Motors do Brasil division.
Wheelbase: 2,667 mm (105.0 in)
Length: 4,575 mm (180.1 in)
Successor: Chevrolet Omega

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am using NAPA #700237 in my 68 with inline 250. That part number was used for Chevy trucks in 1975 - 1976 with inline 6.

I do not know if they are 8mm, but they are working very good.

Lou, central Arkansas USA
Hi Lou, thanks for the reference provided. As I said, I'm trying to pass at smog test and I'm initially my guess was carburetor issues, but I'm guessing that I'm having ignition issues. This is why I'm starting to replace the spark plugs, cables and ignition coil. The rotor I already replaced and the distributor cap it's good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You're kidding, right? Opala? Like Opel/Impala? Mind blower. Drivetrain from the '70's and kind of a mix of Holden, Cavalier and Nova. They made a decent looking coupe out of the whole thing.
Yes... that was the plan. General Motors Brazil (GMB) took the body design of the Opel Rekord C plus the Engine from Chevrolet Impala (250 inline 6). Opala was the first car produced by GMB. Before it, only small/big trucks and buses were produced locally.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts