Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I'm searching for a split exhaust header for a Chevy inline 6 250 4.1L. Can someone give a hint of where I can find one to sell? Thank you.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,211 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Luis . . . .

where do you live . . . . (city & state) . . . . . you could drop by & drive my Nova . . . . . . . !

I'm just saying . . . .

jim

·
Super Moderator
4,372 Posts
They're all cool, but the cast ones are boss. Don't know what if anything guys are doing about heating the bottom of the carbs at all, or if it's at all necessary as it is with a stock manifold. I like the split tube headers too.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
They're all cool, but the cast ones are boss. Don't know what if anything guys are doing about heating the bottom of the carbs at all, or if it's at all necessary as it is with a stock manifold. I like the split tube headers too.

The colder the carb the more dense the mixture. For decades hot roders have been blocking of the caerb heat. If you are under 3500 ft odds are your carb will be fine.
I do have the heat plate (from 'Stovebolt' ) . . . but , I do - not have it installed . . . . . . . . . . . .
so far , it's not been needed . . . .

and , the Prescott City Airport IS AT 5,000 ' . . . . .
Kinda . . . . what I was getting too in my post above .............................................................
I've got real - time - driving - info - - - as in my = S-15 , T 5 , & O D gear ; and, with my Holley
390 carb . . . . . " BOTH Items working great on a Chevy Six motor" .

That , I find the 0.72 od works great with the 3.08 rear . . . . . .
and , No Carb Icing . . . . where I'm driving .

Also , in this 'post' . . . . . . . you can see SNS member ' hbanger' = Bryan , has his (Stovebolt)
heat plate "connected" (into his heater / water lines) , so - he is running a "Heated OFFY intake" .

again - in this post : inline 6 4 bbl setup | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)

Bryan - - shows his "Carb Heat Plate" set - up in post # 22 . Great info .
.......... also, he shows his "split - exhaust manifold . . Header Pipes" (using a Clutch Z-bar set - up ) .

I like "pictures"

jim

·
Super Moderator
4,372 Posts
I just remember heat needing to go to the base of some carburetors for icing up on the throttle body. I understand you want a colder charge, but I've seen it on a 2bbl Holley on a VW, and the throttle body get ice even to the outside of it, 70 degree day. Don't disbelieve you guys that you aren't getting any, and agree with the colder charge/denser charge thing, but I thought the exhaust manifold to intake contact was to warm the carb base to negate this. Leave it to the 6 guys to find a trick way to run heat to the bottom of the intake along with their cool exhaust plumbing.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I ran a set of these split headers on a 250 in a 70 chevy c10 years ago. Ran fine then winter weather came. Carb iced up all the time. Just figured I had water in my gas. So every fill up I dumped in a can of dry gas. Worked like a charm! Lol. Sold the truck to a guy and he said it worked good for him that way. Never knew the proper fix back then.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
O-yeah . . . . . I went thru the ol' VW carbs . . . . . I installed a new Ford Truck - 300 / 6 - - 1bbl carb
on my type IV engine .......................... with out any heat source .....................................

That thing was like a "frozen pop-sickle" , with-out heat . ( but, somehow - - I made it home ) .
The "suit-case" - DP - engine .

and, at this point - - - - - I'm using my 390 carb - - - - with my stock GM / six
exhaust manifold ...........................................
So, I do have Heat - - - - almost forgot .

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
I am using the cast iron split exhaust on my 68 inline 6. Bought them from Langdon Stovebolt but think he sold that business to 12bolt.com.

When I installed them I also installed the heater plate under the carb - However I never did connect the lines to a water source and been driving it that way for many years.

Everything is working very good.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
how about an "under car Chevy Six - split - cast iron exhaust manifold - -
tail / header pipes " picture .

Here ya go : on SNS member Joe Rose 's 63 Nova SS (250ci / with an auto trans) .
.......... theycallmelaramie ............

1. - - -

2. - - - with mufflers . . . .

looks tooo cool .

again . . . I like pic's

jim

·
Super Moderator
4,372 Posts
OK, so the definitive answer about carbs icing is that there is no definitive answer. Not that it can't get cold in the ATL, and that carb/carbs didn't ice, but I've had it happen, as have others who've mentioned the icing in later posts. Just like to know the cause. Maybe the game is to keep the A/F mixture as cold as possible without icing.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
maybe ...................... and, I did have it happen (on the VW , with out any carb heat) .
But , so far - not with the Nova .

My next "add-on" . . . might be my 'StoveBolt split-manifolds' ............... maybe .
I want too get them "jet-hot coated" & need to buy two mufflers .

jim

ps - - - I have had " Carb - Icing " ...................... in the ol' Tri-Pacer .....................
...................... not Fun , when the old engine starts running ruff .
Plus, I never was High - enough .............. alot more fun at "Tree-tops" ........
and, sometimes 'scray' .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Luis . . . .

also This = out till 2nd week of FEB Exh Manifolds Dual Chevy 194-230-250-292 (12bolt.com)

here's a picture on my '69 250 motor :

1. - -

2. - - SNS member ' theycallmelaramie ' - - Joe's 250 - 6 , in his 63 Nova SS .

and , here is a good "six - cylinder" post , FYI . . . . with pictures .

(1) inline 6 4 bbl setup | Chevy Nova Forum (stevesnovasite.com)

I hope this helps . . .

later , jim
Hi Jim, thanks a lot for your support. Look pretty good this option. I will take a look too....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Luis . . . .

where do you live . . . . (city & state) . . . . . you could drop by & drive my Nova . . . . . . . !

I'm just saying . . . .

jim
Jim, I live in Mount Juliet, TN.... Thanks for the invitation. Would be a honor for me drive a Chevy Nova... because I never did it....rssss... let me explain myself: did you already heard about the Chevrolet Opala (made in Brazil)? Yes... I have one, and we use a inline 6 250... same Nova's engine... so, I'm searching parts for my 1988 Chevrolet Opala!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts