Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
March 2012 : Langdon's -- Cast - iron split - exhaust headers ..... Part # SKU - 42 - 0070

Too fit the Chevy Six engine : 194 - 230 - 250 - 292 series straight - six motors.

Now Sold through Tom Lowe @ 12bolt.com

and, Mock-up fit mounted on a 250 ci motor - using a stock 'Fel-Pro
intake / exhaust gasket set : Fel-Pro part # QM 59786 .

Also you can use a "Thicker Intake / Exhaust gasket .... to prevent any leaks from your exhaust" : Rem - Flex exhaust gasket from Summit .......
Rem - Flex # RFL 2034
this gasket will fit all Chevy Six : 194 - 230 - 250 - 292 type Engines.

Closer picture of front "split-exhaust manifold" on a 250 motor.
just FYI

closer picture of rear "split-exhaust manifold" on a 250 motor. ... FYI

NOTE : These pictures Show Mounting onto Engine side BEFORE Any Clutch Z-BAR, Clutch Linkage, Standard trans was installed in to this Nova.

Some Grinding / Fitting may need to be done around the Exhaust
"Mounting Ears" ..... for mounting your "Intake Manifold Clearance" before proper mounting of your combo / intake - Exhaust complete unit on to your motor.
Check for fit / grind for fit , before final mounting.

THIS INFO : for others that may be using "THE CAST - IRON Split - Exhaust manifolds for your Chevy Sixs.

(I Hope this write-up helps all Chevy Six people , here on SNS ) .

NPHNP

jim

3/6/2019

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
That post is a very good illustration of the installation for the cast iron split exhaust.

I have them on my 68 and, as you stated, had to do a little "fitting/grinding",
especially on the clamps that hold the exhaust to the cylinder head.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
that is just one pretty engine. i bet the sound is good on the ears with a pleasing sound.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Follow -up for using the Chevy Six stock Exhaust Manifold with an
"OFFY 4bbl Carb (alumn.) Intake Manifold on to your Chevy Six Engine.

The OFFY 4bbl "Intake Manifold" ... Will work with almost all exhaust manifolds -- Chevy Stock Exhaust -- "Stovebolt cast - iron split exhaust manifolds" -- or -- with "Tube Exhaust Headers" .

Note : The "Clifford 4bbl (alumn) Intake Manifold" -- WILL ONLY WORK , using their "Tube type Headers . (just FYI ).

#1 .. Picture of an "OFFY 4bbl Intake Manifold - using a Stock Chevy Six 'cast - iron' stock exhaust manifold.
Note : By using your stock exh. manifold -- you can retain your
"Carb Heat" feature .... which you may need in the colder climates ,
for better carb performance. Plus, it still lets you use your 'stock Nova exhaust parts ( if they are still in good shape & serviceable). Saves you some money.

#2 ..

#3 .. When mounting your Exhaust Manifold : either, Stock or Aftermarket ...... Get your alignment / fit .. of your 'Intake / Exhaust' manifolds as close as possible ... to prevent any exhaust "Leaks" .

Adjust your 'intake / exhaust for the best fit" .. before mounting to your engine.

#4 .. The better you make them fit ... LESS Leaks !

#5 .. My stock 'FEL - PRO gasket' worked good for "sealing" any leaks with this Fit .

You can also use the "THICKER -- Rem-Flex Exhaust Manifold Gasket ( buy @ Summit -- # RFL 2034) .... it will seal , for better exhaust leaks (gaps).

#6 .. Mounted on to a 250ci Six Engine

This IS How I am running my exhaust right NOW.

BECAUSE : at that time I 'did not use' my 'spilt-exhaust manifolds' .
My plan was too mount / change-out my pg trans. for a 'stick-shift trans' .. I did-not want my 'dual exhaust pipes' to interfere with any of my 'clutch-linkage' (z-bar, clutch-rods, or t/o bearing arm) ..........
plus, my current stock exhaust system & muffler is very good shape.
That allows me too buy good mufflers and run the new carb system , for tuning.

#7 ..

FIY ... This info applies to all later type Chevy six motors :
194 - 230 - 250 -292 .

This just gives all Nova owners a choice of Exhaust options when wanting to Keep the SIX motors in their cars.

Note : The Chevy Six Parts are expensive .... These are just different
options available -- For different Exhaust Systems in one Post.

Before :

After :

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice post Jim. What cam is in your 6?

My 'six' is All Stock' inside ........ just the "add-ons"

but, runs really good , the only other thing that I changed was the HEAD .... & that was (rebuilt - all new valves & milled) , back about 20 years ago. I did not even do anything to the lower-end.

I do see that you up-dated your "photo" ...... Looks Sharp, for sure.
You should consider going on 'The Fun Run' with us this year ...
look for info in the "Southwest Section" ........
"Route 66 Fun Run" , we meet in Seligman & drive to Kingman (on Sat. May 3rd).

For this year, Poindexter (Chris & Elizabeth) & Diana & I have a Friday Night Room In Seligman .... . 'GerryLP' - Gerry & Francis .. may have a room, also .... I'll Check on that. We had 8 SNS members last year .... and, we welcome more at any time..... ( we even picked-up another Nova couple with a 1st gen (they were from Gilbert, Az). Plus, Ben & Erin may go too.

see ya ....... jim

·
Registered
233 Posts
inline 6 exhaust system

Hi to the inline 6 community.

Following up the thread "inline 6 4 bbl setup" with already lots of good stuff, I wonder which experiences are available with exhaust systems.

I'm looking for a system to fit the factory exhaust manifold with a single downpipe - Y-pipe and dual rear muffler setup.

I'm considering to purchase the Magnaflow 15896 and replace the X with a Y and a custom build downpipe.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
I have a 250 inline 6 in my 68 Chevy II.

I have not seen a complete commercial exhaust system on the market for our engines.

I always use a local "Muffler" shop to bend/install whatever I need.

May I suggest going to a split exhaust manifold like that sold by 12bolt.com

For the "WOW" factor, the sound of this system is unique.

I found the following link very interesting:

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661841

Lou, central Arkansas

·
6,523 Posts
On my 68 with the 230 inline, I went with a system from Waldron's and have been very happy with it. I wanted to stay as close to stock as I could and I can say that if I was not talking to buddies when I was putting the new system on, I would have had it done in under an hour.

I "think" I spent around $400.00 for the system and small parts I had sourced from other places. I did get one local estimate and they wanted around $900.00

Here is the album of the exhaust system when the muffler failed and then when it got replaced.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157691208695224

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I went a different route on my inline 6. Installed a bigger 292 exhaust manifold/ with 3 bolt flange and Offy 4 bbl intake. Had to do a little grinding/etc for fitment as stated with the split headers. I have a single 2 1/2 pipe going from exhaust manifold into a single Flowmaster 40 series muffler,......sounds and runs good!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Steve ... How you doing ?

I need too buy my (2 each) mufflers and, get my 'cast manifolds' "jet hot coated" then get them installed .

I have a ' 292 ' complete motor in my shop ......... but the exhaust manifold is just like on my 250 motor.
That 292 motor has been worked on ... it has a "rebuild tag" on the engine , and, was in a 1 ton-flatbed .. when I heard it run.
If my 'Original 250' ever goes south -- then, I'm going with that engine.
BTW .. my 292 engine is a "Mexico Motor" .... can't i d it by the number.

later ... jim

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here is another SNS member's --- 250ci engine build (motor is in a 63 Nova HT). A 250ci motor using an early "front sump Nova Oil Pan" .

But there are "Split Exhaust Manifolds -- Mounting & Fitting Pictures" at towards the end Post.

"Also, Some Very GOOD PICTURES of the Making & Mounting of the Final Exhaust Pipes & mufflers --- look at the very last few Pictures in this Post" .

Note : All The Pictures ' Work ' …. but, are slow too 'load - up' ……
Give the Pictures a few minutes . They are Well Worth your Time .

Thanks , Goes to Joe (theycallmelarami) .

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666207

I'm just posting them here in-relation to the "CAST IRON 250 SPLIT - EXHAUST - MANIFOLDS …….. (pictures Are Golden) .

Thank You , jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts