Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone pulled a motor and tranny together with one of those shop hoist/cherry picker type engine pullers? Does it get high enough to clear the front end?

·
5,153 Posts
Usually.
The jack must not be low on fluid.
You need to hook the lift chain short and get the angle right.
Extend the boom and legs for more lift.
I've had to let the air out of the car tires a couple time when I came up a little short.
It's a little easier with two people if you are taking the trans with the engine.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Has anyone pulled a motor and tranny together with one of those shop hoist/cherry picker type engine pullers? Does it get high enough to clear the front end?
i have a cheap harbor freight hoist, i just pulled the L6 motor with the powerglide out of my 65. i had the car on jack stands about 16" off the ground.

i used the harbor freight load leveler to change the angle of the engine/trans.
i also had help, my wife works on cars with me. so i had 4 hands getting the motor our.

just gotta make sure that the hook on the hoist is as close to the block as possible

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
i have a cheap harbor freight hoist, i just pulled the L6 motor with the powerglide out of my 65. i had the car on jack stands about 16" off the ground.

i used the harbor freight load leveler to change the angle of the engine/trans.
i also had help, my wife works on cars with me. so i had 4 hands getting the motor our.

just gotta make sure that the hook on the hoist is as close to the block as possible
same here i didnt use the level though

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
this is the first time i used it. a friend gave it to me for helping him pull an engine.

the hand crank gets to be a pita really quick, but over all it was nice to have it.
well its better than getting piched when the motor shifts on the chain :eek:.. i had it happen think god i have jedi master like reflexes :yes:

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I have a HF picker too. It will reach high enough with the arm out all the way. Problem?? The legs need to be pushed out all the way too, otherwise the rear would lift. They wouldnt fit in between the tires.

Fix... I made up a counter weight frame for the back side of the lift that I could load 750lbs worth of bagged gravel into. I actually did that to build my patio cover. I was lifting 6x16"x15' beams up twelve feet. I made a new arm that was fifteen feet long and even with the legs out it wanted to tip. The beam was prolly only 300-400lbs but WAY out there. So 750lbs on the rear of it worked great. Dangerous?? Looked like it, but hey, take it slow and it worked. Lifted 20 beams to that height.

So anyway, back to the simple engine lift, no problems.

I lifted a 2000lb mill off a trailer with the extendo arm too. Now that was scary, the arm was flexing, the ram was bouncing, my sweat was pouring. LOL I seem to get into alot of heavy one man lifts. My 4000lb lathe was fun to watch LOL

But an engine and tranny lift isnt anything to be lax about either, some iron there. I have used two straps going back to the tail of the tranny to support it too so its not just dragging on the ground. Once I just had my creeper under the tail and let it roll out on it. JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts