Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all got a stock 66 nova just wanted to know how to check if the timing marks on my stock 283 2bbl are correct or if my balancer has slipped . Is their someway of lining up the balancer keyway with position of timing mark? Or any other method apart from pulling No 1 sparkplug out.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
310 Posts
How would the balancer slip? It's keyed. I think if the key was gone you'd know pretty fast that its moved. Why do you think moved? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I'm thinking he doesn't have just the little solid hub that you see on 283's but has a bigger style with the rubber ring between the inner and outer part of the balancer.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
they can spin ,i have heard of it.but it doesnt happen as often as the legend indicates.
i have yet to see one thats spun.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Could be I suppose.

If there is any concern at all I think it would be wise to just replace it. You don't want that failing. A lot of havoc can take place. You can get a decent replacement balancer pretty cheap.

Below is the 283 balancer. is this what you have?

·
Registered
527 Posts
How to find TDC

You can get an old spark plug, knock out the porcelin and cut off the electrode. On the new hollowed out plug, weld a nut in which a bolt will thread thru the center of the plug.

Once welded up and screw/bolt installed,

1. Remove coil wire/power wire from coil.
2. Remove #1 spark plug
3. Install TDC tool (the one you just made)
4. By hand - or wrench/socket rotate the engine in one direction until the piston hits the stop (TDC tool).
5. Mark that spot on the balancer (and timing cover to check it too!)
6. Next rotate the engine the oposite direction until you hit the stop again.
7. Mark that spot on the balancer (and timing cover)

Exactly in the center of these two marks you will find TDC or where your mark should be on your balancer (and your timing cover) - (if it's not there, replace or mark it again)

FYI - Russian (YAK-52) Yakovlevv has a geared prop shaft so this isn't a valid method...(tdc seems to be changing with each movement of the prop)

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
The key way should align with the 12° BTDC mark. If not there or real close the ring has slipped. On a BB the mark aligns with the key way.

Remarking a slipping ring is futile as it will continue to move.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replys, GG63 that is the same balancer i have i think i found the answer to my question both the internal and external have timing marks i didnt notice this before thanks for the photo so if the outer hub has slipped on the internal hub the timing marks would not line up.
I checked mine and they are lined up, the reason i am asking this in the first place is i am having a hard time getting my car to idle right so wanted to make sure i have set the timing right.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
thanks for the replys, GG63 that is the same balancer i have i think i found the answer to my question both the internal and external have timing marks i didnt notice this before thanks for the photo so if the outer hub has slipped on the internal hub the timing marks would not line up.
I checked mine and they are lined up, the reason i am asking this in the first place is i am having a hard time getting my car to idle right so wanted to make sure i have set the timing right.
I think the problem is your engine was built to run in the Northern Hemisphere. Not down under in Australia where they run backwards from what we're used to. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts