Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys had any alignment issues with they're clip. We have been trying to line it up and are having issues. one side has the eyes out further than the other to get the wheels even and on and on.

just curious, we got it bout right, but just wonderin if any else with that front end had any input!

Thanks Guys,
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Hey Gary, funny thing is I was going to ask you about aligning the front end. As you're the only other person I've seen that has one. I haven't gotten to that part yet. But I figured I was going to need to know how it was done.
So how did you do it? How did you line up the tie rod end's?
Start from the begining.:D

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm bumpin my post from awhile ago...I cant get this thing right! And I cant get anyone to answer me at Checkered?

The problem is there is not enough adjustment to get the camber correct, the
upper joints are in all the way and the lowers are stretched just as far out as
possible and the top of the tires still need to go in at least an inch! The
passenger side is worst than the drivers side? The only options I can see is
having to cut the upper control arms and re-tap them or gettin longer hiem
joints for the lower arms and I shouldnt have to do that!

Anybody had ANY experience with this front end yet!!

Later,
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
I feel your pain Gary. I just e-mailed checkered racing, with some concerns. And I forwared this thread along with it. Maybe that will get us some help.:confused:
Another member on here has had pretty good luck with his on a 66. I believe it's Blown Deuce. I know his name is Jeff. Maybe he will chime in?

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
One other thing. I'm not bashing them, but if I had it to do all over again I believe I would go with a Chris Alston front clip. The quality, and cutomer service seems to be top notch. Mike Weddle is the man!
Anyway, this one is more work than I can do, with all the fab work needed. Not quite a bolt in deal. Not a bad deal for someone who can weld. Now that it's all welded up it will be fine. But what a pain to get this far, and still have to deal with the alignment.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, We fixed the problem, cut and shortened the upper arms and the hiems, next day checkered called and didnt know what to do, they said they dont make my front end anymore with the bushed rod ends, they only have the regurlar hiem joints or whatever?

Anyhow, its aligned!
Later,
Gary

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just installed a Checkered front clip on my 67. I just barely fitted the upper struts and tacked them in. I guess I better drop the engine and trans in asap and try aligning it before I go any further! I haven't had any problems with it yet. I knew when I purchased it that there would be more fabrication involved than a TCI, Heidts, or Alston clip. But for the price I am tickled with it so far.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
I just got off the phone with Patrick at Checkered, I believe we got everything straightened out.
I don't think I'll run into the same issues as you did Gary. I guess I have the newer style.
Anyway, Patrick was very helpful, and seems to want to make make everything right, which is all I'm asking for.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nwayne said:
I just got off the phone with Patrick at Checkered, I believe we got everything straightened out.
I don't think I'll run into the same issues as you did Gary. I guess I have the newer style.
Anyway, Patrick was very helpful, and seems to want to make make everything right, which is all I'm asking for.
I'm not knocking him, my dad was actually the one who spoke to him, and he was more than willing to help, he just didnt know why I was having the issues and offered to send new arms if need be.

I dont have any complaints really with the front end, I like doin the extra fab work and stuff, plus it was less $$$!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
hotrodgary said:
The problem is there is not enough adjustment to get the camber correct, the
upper joints are in all the way and the lowers are stretched just as far out as
possible and the top of the tires still need to go in at least an inch!
often when you can't get the camber in ( top of tire needs to go in towards center of car ), that is an indication the ride height of the vehicle is too high.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great ride. I know it may be a bad time to ask but did you also use a Checkered Back Half? I think that is what your other link said. If so how did it go? I noticed you retained the back seat . Looks great.

67deuce

1 - 14 of 14 Posts