Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again...

Since I will be back halfing the car....I was on Ebay and saw some great prices from Checkered Racing (http://www.checkeredracing.com/)on 4 link setups w/9 inch housing:

4 Link Back Half w/QA1 Aluma Matic Shocks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7989516499&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

or this one:
4 Link Back Half w/QA1 Proma Star AL Shocks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7989516537&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Then on their website I see a 4-bar setup....
http://www.checkeredracing.com/62-67Nova4.html

SO....my question's are:

1. Has anyone used any of the above 3 setups from Checkered Racing?

2. If so...how were they to deal with, how was the quality, ease of installation...etc..etc..etc..?

3. What is the differences (besides the obvious visual differences) between a 4-link setup and a 4-bar setup? Which is better for a street/strip car...

4. Recommendations?

As usual...thank you all for your help! I will be making a decision on one of the three setups next week so I can get it shipped out asap.

Thanks again everyone!
-John

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Hey John, I read the post about your operation and I'm glad to see that you are doing well. Good luck! I've nerver dealt with Checkered Racing, but others here have and maybe they'll give you some feedback. Anyway, in regards to question #3 - usually a 4 link is built from larger tubing so it is stronger than a 4 bar. Also, a 4 link has adjustment holes on the bar end mounts that allow for rear suspension geometry adjustments. This is quite involved, so if you decide to go that route, I'd suggest reading a book titled "Doorslammers: A Chassis Book" by Dave Morgan. The 4 bar set-up is normally designed to fit into a car that has been minitubbed only, so if you plan on back-halfing, I'd take full advantage of all that work and go with 4 link or a good ladder bar suspension instead of a 4 bar...............Frank

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I have seen their stuff but never used it. They come to a swap meet every year in springfeild MO. They seemed ok to deal with, and the quality looked ok. For the money on their front end you get alot. Your down south you might see if you have a meet comming up they are coming to so you can check them out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi I Bought A Front Clip Off Jeff At Checkered . I Just Finished It , Everything Looks Good Had To Do Some Welding And Fab Work For Steering And Down Tubes. But All In All Very Good Product And Cant Beat The Price. If I Can Find Out How To Post Picts. I Will Show It To Ya. Jeff

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Checkered Racing front clip is going for under 2k complete...that is insane...I am planning on buying my 4-link setup from them so if this install goes well I will most definately be looking at the front clip setup next year!!!

I would love to see some pics of that setup Jeff!

For help posting pics click on the link below....I had to when I first tried to post pics!!!

http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27716

Thanks!
-John

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
After looking at the ad for the 4-bar, that's not a bad deal, but to me it looks like it's for a street rod type vehicle. You still have the stock frame rails that aren't that strong. I'm just finishing getting my 65 redone. I'll post some pics of my frame, and I'm also going with CalTraks. I'm not saying that it is a bad deal, but there are other things you need to do the car if you're going to be racing it. Dave

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke with Patrick at Checkered Racing the other day and I was very impressed with their knowledge of the product, as well as suggestions that he gave concerning my Nova.

I have to give them 2 thumbs up so far for their prices, their customer service and knowledge and for the sales team....

I did end up purchasing the 4 link setup and can't wait to get my grubby hands on it to get this started!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I saw them the other day up in INDY at a swap meet, My father in law and I were very inpressed with their product and what they had to offer for the price. I'm not planing on Racing so this is going to be a go for my wagon.

·
3,863 Posts
Four year old thread and the OP hasn't been here since 2008. There are photos of the Checkered clips on Steve's somewhere, keep searching.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can anyone update this thread with photo's yet ?

Thanks,
Stu
Not sure how much this helps but here are the pics I have of the Checkered 4-link in my car. I haven't gone to the track but have almost 1,000miles on my car. The only complaint I have so far is we had to modify the driveshaft loop. It hung to low and wasn't high enough on top for me but that was because I wanted the car pretty low. It wasn't a big deal though.

Also we had to notch the trunk floor to give room for the shock mount. That allows for more room to lower the car.

These pics are before the loop mods.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Great pictures.

Looks like you did't have to notch the frame.

Few ?'s

Did you run the standard rear shock ?
Did you get the 9" from Checkered ?
How much did you have to move the Drive Shaft Safety Loop up ?

Thanks,
Stu
Yea I am running the standard shock, may change them after going to the track. They seem ok but I have had some issues with bounce on hard acceleration. It got better once I lowered the car though. You can get pretty low with this set up.

The 9" came from another company called Precision Automotive or something along those lines. I definitely could be wrong on the name but here is an email contact for the guy I ordered everything from.

Brydon R. Papenberg [ mailto:[email protected]] Here is the phone # if you want to call for prices. 641-751-8060

I basically told them the width I needed on the housing and they sent me a housing with moser axles with new tubes cut to length I wanted (hub to hub). I believe mine is 52". I also got my rear disk set up from them. I then later ordered a complete center section from them once I knew what I wanted gear wise. Price wasn't bad.

On the driveshaft loop we cut about 2" off the bottom and raised the top about 3", as far as it would go against the floorpan.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i just meet Jeff the other day at Super Chevy in PA it looks like i'am buying the ladder bar back half kit for my 70. i noticed his stuff at the show because i just bought a complete S&W subframe with rack steering and disc brake from a local guy that bought and installed it but never drove the car do to money problems so i got the front end for $1500.00 it looks just like the one that Checkerd sells. and the rear kit is just the same as S&W's but cheaper and it all looks the same. Jeff said he would sell that w/conecters for $850.00 and he's going to bring it to Carlise so i don't have to pay shipping. He's a real nice guy and seems to know his stuff. good luck with yours and look for my build up pic's to start in a few months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts