Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you using the subject clip and power rack - have you figured out what size the pressure and return fittings are - and which is which - lower one for pressure? It has been suggested that they are 5/8 x 18 and 9/16 x 18 but Earls does not show a 9/16 for PS apps but does have a 1/2 x 20. Thanks. -Bob

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've got the adapter fittings (female AN to powerflex) and the braided line I just need to determine the thread size and type to get from there to -6 AN male.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I need to know the same information. I see some hose kits on ebay to adapt to a gm pump but there are a few different ones and I can't determine which one i need. Also, are you sure the power rack from checkered is for an 86 t-bird?

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
The small port is pressure and the large port is the return. Don't get it backwards or you will blow the seals for sure. TCI uses a mid 80's T-Bird and Heidts uses a mid 90's Mustang power rack. They use the same fittings but have different input shaft sizes. I have a SS hose kit that includes a flow reducer to make the GM pump work better with the Ford rack. It reduces the flow to 2 GPM so the steering is not too easy or too twitchy.
Tim

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The fittings on the Mustang rack used by Heidt's are metric (M14x1.5 and M16x1.5). Both Earl's and Russell have fittings that adapt the metric threads to -6AN.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The fittings on the Mustang rack used by Heidt's are metric (M14x1.5 and M16x1.5). Both Earl's and Russell have fittings that adapt the metric threads to -6AN.

Do they have an o-ring on the end? I am really confused as to what fittings I needf or my TCI rack.

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
The adapters use a teflon washer at the top of the threads. They do not use a o-ring like the older Mustang II racks used.
Tim

·
Registered
391 Posts
The adapters use a teflon washer at the top of the threads. They do not use a o-ring like the older Mustang II racks used.
Tim
Anyone got a part number for these adapters? I need them both to adapt to
-6 AN. The kit I ordered didn't have these. I have all the other fittings I need, just not the ones for the rack.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have the same t-bird rack you have. I'm still looking to find exactly what these fittings are. I bought the KRC power steering pump. The in and out on the pump are both -6AN. So I need the fittings on the rack to be -6an. If you find out what we've got be sure and let me know. Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
391 Posts
If I ever find any, I'll let you know. I have been searching for 5 or 6 weeks. The dealer I got my clip from hasn't been able to get me any either. He was however nice enough to stop TCI from sending me some through him (they can't ship to a canadian address) becuase it was going to cost $35. I am getting sick and tired of this BS and I still don't have any. No clue what to do now?? :confused:

·
Registered
0 Posts
I called checkered racing where I purchased my front clip and power rack to see what they could tell me and it wasn't much. They did confirm the rack was for an 85 t-bird but that's about all they knew. I was thinking of going to the local NAPA store and getting a hand full of fittings both standard and metric and trying all of them until I find out what type threads the rack is. Then, once I find out what type/size the threads are i will be able to find the correct rack fittings. If you do a search on ebay for "power steering fittings" there are several types that come up both standard and metric. If I do find out for sure the sizes I will definetly let you know.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I called checkered racing where I purchased my front clip and power rack to see what they could tell me and it wasn't much. They did confirm the rack was for an 85 t-bird but that's about all they knew. I was thinking of going to the local NAPA store and getting a hand full of fittings both standard and metric and trying all of them until I find out what type threads the rack is. Then, once I find out what type/size the threads are i will be able to find the correct rack fittings. If you do a search on ebay for "power steering fittings" there are several types that come up both standard and metric. If I do find out for sure the sizes I will definetly let you know.
THe thread size is M14 and M15 x 1.5 or 9/16 and 5.8 x -18. I believe the thread sizes are so close either will work it is just finding a -6AN on the other end I am having trouble with.

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
Here are the Napa part numbers for a set of OEM type hoses. Pressure-71842,
Return 71977. They fit the rack perfectly. The pump end will need to be changed. Any hydraulic shop can do it. It still needs a flow reducer to lower the flow rate to 2 gpm to match the Ford rack. It will work but it may be very twitchy without it.
Tim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts