Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a rolling 73 hatchback. I would like to stick the 250/powerglide combo out of my 71 into this thing just so I can drive it aroud and sell it in the end.

The problem is the 73 was originally a manual car and doesn't have a shifter on the column. I took out the clutch linkage and hid the third pedal under the floor mat. The proper automatic column-shift linkage stuff is still under the car (wierd), and I notice that I can grab the steering column where the shift lever would normally attach and turn it, and this will turn the linkage under the car. If I hook up my powerglide to the linkage will I be able to shift by just grabbing that collar on the steering column from inside the car and turning it? Don't want to put any money into the thing so I don't want to buy a floor shifter.

Any other ideas on how to use a powerglide cheaply in an old 3-pedal?

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
Go ahead and get a floor shift for the automatic. Check eBay or a local parts store for an inexpensive one.

Dan (or check the local junkyard);)

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you go with the floor shifter, you might try going with a cable setup versus trying to get a linkage setup to work. It will involve fabricating a bracket or two for the cable ends. I found an old impala floor shifter at a swap meet that I used.

·
Registered
96 Posts
:mad: What's wrong with a 3speed manual 73!!! Just kidding:D I'm fixing to go 4or5 speed but I haven't decided yet. There's just something about shifting your own gears...:cool:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
73 Nova said:
:mad: What's wrong with a 3speed manual 73!!! Just kidding:D I'm fixing to go 4or5 speed but I haven't decided yet. There's just something about shifting your own gears...:cool:
Hey guys I would love to keep it a manual, but I bought the car without engine or trans! :eek: So i don't have much of a choice! No offense against manual cars, I love 'em! :D

I'm just trying to make the most of a cheap rolling car, and hopefully by throwing in my old 250/powerglide I wont have to say "Must tow home" when I'm selling it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts