Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tired of dealing with my tailights, brake lights, and turn signal not working all the time. The bulb wasn't coming in good enough contact with the two metal strips in the bulb housing. I tried to bend them up to put more pressure on the bulb contacts, but they'd just wiggle enough later on and not work again.

You can see the two metal contact strips down inside the plastic housing:

So for my final fix, I took the bulb, and soldered on some additional solder to make the contacts stick out more (the original contacts are just solder anyways, once you heat them up, they melt right into the new solder). I didn't take a picture, but I sanded down the solder to make it more even for better contact.

Works like a champ. I moved the bulbs around after it was done, and they stayed on the whole time. Problem solved. (for now!! LOL)

I don't see why this wouldn't work for single filament bulbs either.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
Good fix but the problem is the new bulbs from China. I have had some that the pins were too short to catch in the grooves. These style bulbs have become obsolete technology since the new plug in styles were introduced. IMO it is another way they are planning to rid the streets of older cars.
I have started removing OE bulbs from old cars in junk yards. If the filament is not broken chances are they are good and made much better then bulbs available now.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good idea. I might try it myself. I was actually battling with my brake lights this morning and getting frustrated as usual. Thanks for posting :beer:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah I was wondering about the LED bulb option also. Anyone tried them?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I tried the 1157 LED plug in style bulb and didn't like the look in my 66. The LED light pretty much is directed straight back and doesn't fill the housing with light like the conventional bulb. Just my :2cents:

I did like the look and light of the LED replacement in the back up light section.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I went with the superbright LED 1157 replacement bulb and a flasher from NAPA that makes flashing sound (works with both LED and regular bulbs). I'm happy with 'em.

1157-R45-T (red)
NAPA LIT 262

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my case, it doesn't seem to be the socket that is the problem. Seems like the bulbs just don't fit properly. I've swapped out a socket earlier and that didn't solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
most all MAJOR garage service part stores carry quality bulbs in box bulk, (10) bulbs per box. And they are priced very well.

Most of these are quality brass based bulbs.

Cheep bulbs give cheep results.

Al

·
Registered
265 Posts
i know its probably been suggested but hasnt anyone tried wiring in the newer style 3157 sockets? or 3357? just tossing an idea out there.. im going to look into it myself... but yeah thats 1000% true about the posts and pegs on the new vs old bulbs...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like the same socket used on my 64 Impala. I found the ground side (the socket that holds the bayonet pins) works it's way out of the plastic socket a bit over time, making contacts for the positive side intermittent. They can be glued back in with something like JB Weld.

I have also used the solder technique but found the electrical solder to be weaker than the stuff used on the bulbs, so it wears back down eventually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts