Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to build a budget big block. I have a set of arias pistons, a set of bushed dimple rods, but I need a crank. I'm hoping for 550 or so hp, then I'm gonna spray about a 150 shot. I have a stock cast crank (454), but I'm pretty sure I'll break that. I'm afraid a cast steel crank will break when I spray it. ( will it? ) I can't find a stock forged crank thats in good shape. I really don't want to spend 750 on a new forged crank so I'm thinking about a cheaper (no name) forged crank. So who is using a cheap forged crank with good results and what do I want to stay away from?

·
Registered
30 Posts
scat makes a goos short money crank i dont know the hp ratings on bb but there sb crans are rated 500 hp and are under 200 bucks for cast that is. i wouldnt be worried about braking the crank with only a 150 shot. check summits site i know they carry scat

·
Registered
571 Posts
some people run cast cranks with no problems but i like forged.what about a stock forged 4.00 454 crank ?? it would handle that hp/spray no problem.call a local machine shop and see if they have one(finished),just be careful if you buy one used you might have to cut/balance/magnaflux and that can add up.my stock forged 3.76 stroke sees 460hp to the wheels and a 150 shot no problems.GOOD LUCK:)

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
A new cast steel crank will take a 150 shot falling over its self.... if you make 600 hp in a 454/468 with a additional 150 of giggle gas.. you'll be fine..

scat, eagle, elgin, any of the better known off shore cranks will and do have good quality control...

A new cast steel crank is stronger than the old 1053/1054 factory forgings of the 60's/70's/80's...with less torsional twist, and rod journal deflection at BDC power stroke or TDC exhaust stroke...

today modern factory fording are either 4340, 4130, or 5140 with the latter the most common....

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Consider running a forged 427/396 crank. They're cheap, strong, internally ballanced, and leave room for a longer rod.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stopped by summit today and picked up a new cast steel crank. We'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I have seen a many cast crank big blocks with 200hp kits and have no issues.

Also, a cheep crank is not going to be any better than the crank you now have, IMO!

the weak link is the rods, they will egg shape under stress and spin bearing like crazy!

Even with a steel crank, anything can happen anytime.

Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts