Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I initially started a post in the drag racing section, “Hopefully 13’s”, that began with a different car/ engine combo. I’ll let that one go for now, and just start again on this series. Briefly, I have a $400 motor/ trans I bought off a friend, and a $200 GT-45 Amazon turbo. Welded up manifolds off a 95 Vortec 350” PU, and a cheap blow-thru bonnet. I hoped to get the turbo under a flat hood, but it’s 2” too tall.
The motor has Vortec heads and a small cam ([email protected]”), and the trans appears to be a rebuilt with about a 10” converter. 3:73 gears and 26” slicks to start with. This is how it looks at the moment.
Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Hood

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
That turbo shares a striking resemblance to a cardboard box... What WILL those Chinese engineers think of next?!? :p

Have you considered using short motor mounts? Moroso (and others) sells short solid (and other, poly) mounts that may give you the extra vertical clearance needed to get your block as low as it can go in the cradle. Not sure what you're using for mounts but I used them in my '71 Elky at one point to clear my velocity stack into my cowl induction hood and they gave me just enough room...

Sounds like that '72 will be a lot of cheap fun for sure! Fun is the key factor here!!! Budget-friendly fun is even better!!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The turbo really is under that 📦. I’m going to blow thru a 600 Holley carb, using the Hangar18 mods outlined on the Turboforum.com.
Does anyone on here have any experience with the Dragy performance box? Apparently it uses satellites to measure your car performance, and outputs to your cellphone uses Bluetooth. Less than $200 online.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Does anyone on here have any experience with the Dragy performance box? Apparently it uses satellites to measure your car performance, and outputs to your cellphone uses Bluetooth. Less than $200 online.
I know of several people using them....they have shown it to be within about 3 to 5 hundredths on ET and nearly dead on with MPH when compared at a drag strip.
Pretty impressive, especially if you were one of those guys who struggled with the G-Tech meters when they hit the market 20 years ago.
The Dragy is far better.

It's a trickle-down technology from the same military tech that let a Tomahawk cruise missile fly down city streets between buildings and then fly into the chosen window or door at the target site.

This will completely answer your question....
Is the Dragy Accurate? - YouTube

i plan to have one next spring....it will be fun comparing it to the old GTech meter a buddy and I co-purchased years ago....if I can get that old thing to work.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have a sneaking suspicion that a 600cfm carb won't be enough to support being a blow-through operation, especially if you're running more than 5-6psi.

I am genuinely curious to see how this whole thing plays out. If you gap the rings and are conservative with how hard the turbo comes on, this could be a rip-snorting good time for not a lot of money. My only advice is to no cheap out on the waste gates or blow off valve!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The motor is 1” lower than stock, with solid motor mounts. A 600 carb under 5lbs of boost will flow close to 800cfm, plenty for this motor. Smaller carbs are supposedly easier to tune, also. I really liked that video on the Dragy, that Mustang was flat moving.
I didn’t gap the rings, this motor has some miles on it and should be ok. I’ve got several things to assemble on the car itself, and will post some pics when I make any progress. Beginning with just getting the car running and testing the motor/ trans, and of courses the steering/brakes/fuel systems.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
The motor is 1” lower than stock, with solid motor mounts. A 600 carb under 5lbs of boost will flow close to 800cfm, plenty for this motor. Smaller carbs are supposedly easier to tune, also. I really liked that video on the Dragy, that Mustang was flat moving.
I didn’t gap the rings, this motor has some miles on it and should be ok. I’ve got several things to assemble on the car itself, and will post some pics when I make any progress. Beginning with just getting the car running and testing the motor/ trans, and of courses the steering/brakes/fuel systems.
Are you planning on running an intercooler? Also, what intake are you running? Just curious if open or divided plenum. Way easier to tune the open plenum especially boosted. Can't wait to see your progress and results. Let us know how that boost-box works out :p

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, you kind of went straight to heart of it. I’m going to run a Performer RPM, only because I already have one. No intercooler, at least to start. Ideally, this engine should be running on E-85.
The compression ratio is a little too high, and the low rpm cylinder pressure will be too high with anything over 5psi boost. The Vortecs have a very efficient combustion chamber design, and supposedly a superior high velocity intake port; that, along with some kind water/E85 injection should work. Maybe.
And if (when) it blows all to hell, I’ll post some pics.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Good manifold for that for sure. Yeah, meth/water will help keep your IAT down significantly, just watch your mix and jetting. It tends to richen up the mix quite a bit from what I've been reading/watching. I have no personal experience with it though but am considering it over intercooling due to space and simplicity... Not sure yet. Here's one from Richard Holdener recently about meth/water injection. Good stuff!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Water/ meth injection consists of 2 parts, obviously. I’m leaning towards spraying straight water, straight into the compressor wheel. From what I’ve read, meth has an instant cooling effect on your IAT; water evaporates much slower, turning into steam. Most of this steam process is still occurring in the cylinder, long after the meth is done. This steam will somewhat dampen the burn process and let my junk parts live. It doesn’t add any power, actually it probably cost a little, but it will allow sub-standard parts to survive. And water won’t really mess with your A/F ratio much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts