Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking into buying a front clip for my 63 nova, but I'm not all too familiar with the deals and packages that are offered with different companies.
Originally I was looking Into DSE but it's a little to pricey for me.
What I'm trying to shoot for is a good street front clip, I'm getting into more of the protouring look and style, and would eventually like to autocross my car too,

I am obsessed with how (onesweet2) did his engine bay, and noticed he was using a chassisworks front clip, they do look very nice and are fairly priced, too

And the other was tci which I feel the same about but is about 1k more for the protouring clip,

My question is which one do u guys feel is more of an easy bolt on clip/hassle free/ no mods , and straight forward,

What makes one better than the other!?

I would like to have a clip with power ,just throwing that out there

I would love to hear your guys thoughts/opinions/personal experiences

Really appreciate it! Thanks

Esteban mejia

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
So I'm looking into buying a front clip for my 63 nova, but I'm not all too familiar with the deals and packages that are offered with different companies.
Originally I was looking Into DSE but it's a little to pricey for me.
What I'm trying to shoot for is a good street front clip, I'm getting into more of the protouring look and style, and would eventually like to autocross my car too,

I am obsessed with how (onesweet2) did his engine bay, and noticed he was using a chassisworks front clip, they do look very nice and are fairly priced, too

And the other was tci which I feel the same about but is about 1k more for the protouring clip,

My question is which one do u guys feel is more of an easy bolt on clip/hassle free/ no mods , and straight forward,

What makes one better than the other!?

I would like to have a clip with power ,just throwing that out there

I would love to hear your guys thoughts/opinions/personal experiences

Really appreciate it! Thanks

Esteban mejia
Does it have to be a bolt on clip? Church boys racing has a great bolt on suspension system that works as well if not better than most clips on the market, they have also developed a new triangulated four link for the back of first and second gen novas:yes:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it have to be a bolt on clip? Church boys racing has a great bolt on suspension system that works as well if not better than most clips on the market, they have also developed a new triangulated four link for the back of first and second gen novas:yes:
I would like it to be a bolt on, I have looked into the CBR, and it's all nice and just as pricey I would say, I one of the other reasons why I would prefer a bolt on clip is because I would like to free up some engine bay space, I don't like how tight everything is with a small block the stock front clip, so I'm just trying to find out the differences in aftermarket clips

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I think either Cassisworks or TCI would be a good choice, but something else to ask each company would be what comes with the listed price and what else would need to be purchased to finish the project. When I ordered my clip from TCI I new I still needed a steering column, steering shaft, 2 U-joints, and firewall mount but that completed the front suspension, steering, and brakes. Another good question to ask is what headers will fit. I ended up getting mine from TCI because I knew options were slim and I didnt want to fight too much with them. I guess what Im saying is do a lot of homework and put everything down on paper and then you will make the right choice for you. :yes:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think either Cassisworks or TCI would be a good choice, but something else to ask each company would be what comes with the listed price and what else would need to be purchased to finish the project. When I ordered my clip from TCI I new I still needed a steering column, steering shaft, 2 U-joints, and firewall mount but that completed the front suspension, steering, and brakes. Another good question to ask is what headers will fit. I ended up getting mine from TCI because I knew options were slim and I didnt want to fight too much with them. I guess what Im saying is do a lot of homework and put everything down on paper and then you will make the right choice for you. :yes:
Good advice thank you, ya I for sure will make note of these things and write it all down, does anyone know if there is a chassisworks dealer here on SNS I know there's one for TCI,..

·
Registered
407 Posts
call and talk to both places, you'll prolly get your answer right away just by the way your treated the first ten minutes.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i've met most all the guys at TCI and Mike Weddle from ChassisWorks... all are really cool folks to talk to and would be happy to talk things over. for the most part you can check out their websites and get the general info on their products, then call and get the particulars. both companies are represented here at the site, TCI is one of the site sponsors. :thumbsup:

call Jason at TCI, or Mike at CW. if you decide to go with TCI, send member Tim "Ibuildm" a message. he's a Heidt's/TCI distributor and can offer you the best deal on the TCI (or Heidt's) packages.

and there's no reason to not check into Heidt's also, although they're not here at the site their products are worthy of consideration...

i know of no one who is unhappy with their CBR, TCI, Heidt's or ChassisWorks equipment... ALL offer our ChevyII's excellent enhancements. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i've met most all the guys at TCI and Mike Weddle from ChassisWorks... all are really cool folks to talk to and would be happy to talk things over. for the most part you can check out their websites and get the general info on their products, then call and get the particulars. both companies are represented here at the site, TCI is one of the site sponsors. :thumbsup:

call Jason at TCI, or Mike at CW. if you decide to go with TCI, send member Tim "Ibuildm" a message. he's a Heidt's/TCI distributor and can offer you the best deal on the TCI (or Heidt's) packages.

and there's no reason to not check into Heidt's also, although they're not here at the site their products are worthy of consideration...

i know of no one who is unhappy with their CBR, TCI, Heidt's or ChassisWorks equipment... ALL offer our ChevyII's excellent enhancements. :thumbsup:
I will try to get a hold of them and see what they tell me thanks, I originally was looking into heidts, that's before I found out , how many more company's made front clips for the novas so it's just came down to tci or chassisworks, for me that's got my attention at the moment but yeah I'm sure they all improve the front end suspension for the nova drastically compared to the stock clip

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's a Dilemma

Your story sounds like me about one year ago.
I was becoming increasingly unhappy with my stock arrangement front suspension. Although rebuilt with the best of everything, tight and as good as it could be, it was still what it was......
I shopped, I researched I questioned but I found there was no real definitive answer to be found.
One driving force I had was the desire to convert to a big-block. Even with that in mind I could still not convince myself an entire new front frame section was the way to go.
I have built many of different cars in my life and the one thing I have never been able to avoid is the snowball effect or Pandora's Box, "I have gone this far I may as well....."
If you are looking way down the road you may want to attempt to plot out the entire future of you car, will you want to convert to a big-block, air conditioning power this and that, accessory drives cooling and on it goes....
I feel compelled to respond for the simple fact I was not a member of SNS when I had the same questions going through my mind. I'm seeing all good advice from other members but please keep in mind this is a BIG DEAL and it will snowball on you.
Sit down and plot out the entire project, knowing your intentions for accessories, cooling, wiring, header fit, Trans and future trans, all the little P's and Q's what you think you are going to save and what you won't is a big part of the conversion.
dlove63 was right on track with the options of each package what some include and some don't. It's hard to do but try to even project the "Well I'm this far, I may as well" factor into the process because it will happen.
I ended up going with Church Boys Racing complete system for the following reasons. My original tub, sheet-metal and all bodywork was done flawlessly several years ago, any settlement, movement has already happened and the car is still straight and clean. I could not bring myself to up-root the entire front-end then believe it would all go back clean and straight as it is currently without a paint and body oops.
If I was doing a fresh build there is no doubt in my mind I would have a new frame section and of course a big-block. All that aside, I believe the CBR system is taking my clean car and making it even cleaner and yes, things can get a little tight but that's why they are first-gen Nova's.
I'm in the process of doing mine now and the snowball has already started down the hill, Vintage Air and March accessory's already has my bank account number and I could not be happier!
Good luck with you decision, I'll be curious to see what you decide.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your story sounds like me about one year ago.
I was becoming increasingly unhappy with my stock arrangement front suspension. Although rebuilt with the best of everything, tight and as good as it could be, it was still what it was......
I shopped, I researched I questioned but I found there was no real definitive answer to be found.
One driving force I had was the desire to convert to a big-block. Even with that in mind I could still not convince myself an entire new front frame section was the way to go.
I have built many of different cars in my life and the one thing I have never been able to avoid is the snowball effect or Pandora's Box, "I have gone this far I may as well....."
If you are looking way down the road you may want to attempt to plot out the entire future of you car, will you want to convert to a big-block, air conditioning power this and that, accessory drives cooling and on it goes....
I feel compelled to respond for the simple fact I was not a member of SNS when I had the same questions going through my mind. I'm seeing all good advice from other members but please keep in mind this is a BIG DEAL and it will snowball on you.
Sit down and plot out the entire project, knowing your intentions for accessories, cooling, wiring, header fit, Trans and future trans, all the little P's and Q's what you think you are going to save and what you won't is a big part of the conversion.
dlove63 was right on track with the options of each package what some include and some don't. It's hard to do but try to even project the "Well I'm this far, I may as well" factor into the process because it will happen.
I ended up going with Church Boys Racing complete system for the following reasons. My original tub, sheet-metal and all bodywork was done flawlessly several years ago, any settlement, movement has already happened and the car is still straight and clean. I could not bring myself to up-root the entire front-end then believe it would all go back clean and straight as it is currently without a paint and body oops.
If I was doing a fresh build there is no doubt in my mind I would have a new frame section and of course a big-block. All that aside, I believe the CBR system is taking my clean car and making it even cleaner and yes, things can get a little tight but that's why they are first-gen Nova's.
I'm in the process of doing mine now and the snowball has already started down the hill, Vintage Air and March accessory's already has my bank account number and I could not be happier!
Good luck with you decision, I'll be curious to see what you decide.
Thanks for your concerns, I have definatly seen myself get caught up in the past and understand how complicated things can get, I plan on leaving it a sbc because I just finished building this block, I already am running what I want to run and far as accessorys go, don't care for air conditioning, all the wires are set up and fine, I might use an ignition boxs later, but that's it, currently using a Th-350 but would like a 700r4 in the near future, so I'm not doing anything to serious as far as changing what I already have currently, I just want the more room, cleaner simple space, and modern technology, and lowered, but yes I will definatly plan it all out and try to not get ahead of myself, like I said before looking for a good handling clip, that's got top notch parts and hassle free. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have driven cars with C-W and TCI but not the CBR conversion that I have selected. Without really pushing other peoples car too hard there was little noticeable difference. The cars were so different themselves it only added to my anxiety of selection which took me back to leaving the front tub intact.
I'm sure I will not be disappointed with my choice especially considering my primary goal was to simply make the car more fun to beat around on the streets.
It sounds to me like you are insistent on gaining the extra room a frame section will provide so you will have that going for you no matter what manufacture you chose, good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got my TCI clip about a year ago and did not do my research or plan out my project at all... Not only was it my first time building a car but I just bought the clip and dove in that was a mistake and I paid for it. I'm running the TCI street front clip and the install went fairly smooth and works amazing but did get my a** whooped by small parts. Master cylinder and prop valve if your not already front disc, brake lines drive shaft steering blah blah it goes on and on. I have never driven any of the other clips but I got the less expensive street clip and it handles amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts