Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was a thread on this earlier by another member that has since been closed (probably for getting off topic). So please try to keep the replies on topic and informative to the content.
Some seem to have issues with the upper strut bars lining up with the holes on the firewall. After mocking up my unit on the floor, I noticed something was off. I remebered a thread on this issue and I thought I would resurrect this topic to provide my input and findings.
I researched this pretty good and found that no one pointed out this potentional problem. Here are a few facts:
-The strut bar pictured IS bolted in place at the Gemini.
-The bottom frame rail is level.
-The straight edges shown are square to the mounting flanges.
-This isnt a trick photo done on a wierd angle.

I was curious if anyone ever noticed this mis-alignment before ?
Perhaps this may be some of our issues.

DISCLAIMER:
Unfortunely I lost my window of opportunetly to bolt this on the car (see background) due to the shop getting busy with client cars (this is my personal car). Therefor do not even now if I have an alignment issue just yet.

Any input as to if the two plates are supposed to be parallel or slightly angled as shown ?

One more piece of important info..... This clip is top notch. We are very pleased with this product and the overall design and quality is second to none.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I had to pull up on my down tubes at the firewall connection to start the bolts. No big deal and with 4 shims on each side the fenders lined up perfectly. Not sure why some people (not you) make a huge deal about this when it is soo easy to pull up on the tubes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow that seams like a big difference in alignment! Sorry cant help but there is a Chassiworks tech guy that hangs in here from time to time. Im sure hell chime in on this....Have you called them about this? email them the pics and ask them to explain

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I PM'd Mike (techguy) and asked him to chime in.
Its no big deal and I am in no hurry for an answer so no need to call them.
Plus... I figured it would be easier to post pics and ask guys who have done it already.
The reason a "red" flag in my brain occured was because people were mentioning that they had to "lift up" on the strut bars. This picture and those facts lead me to believe they are not parallel when maybe they are supposed to be ?

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This car is a perfect canidate for this clip. Its an original unmolested body that was never hit and never had any rot or panel replacement in all of its 42 years. Its as rock solid as it was new. So there shouldnt be any caving of the floors etc.
Unfortunetly as mentioned its taken a temporary back seat to other paying projects. So the test fitment will wait a while.

But the main question is:
Are the two plates supposed to be parallel or slightly angled as shown ?

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The firewall is angled back a little bit.
Now we're getting somewhere... LOL.
Anyone else have proof of this or if their upper strut flanges are angled also ?
The more info we get the easier it would be to eliminate some questions and concerns people are having.

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mark LOL.
Not to get off topic but the more I remove from this car the more I think twice about whats about to happen to it... LOL
The fuse box alone looks like it was put in yesterday and the pedal assembly still had the factory crayon markings in place with absolutly no surface rust.

Now... theres got to be someone else out there to double check this angle / strut bar issue. :)

·
Banned
726 Posts
Lets keep this one open and try to refrand from those types of comments.
This thread was started to help others with a similar fitment issues and NOT to bash the vendor. It was meant for informative input so we can come up with a common cause and find a remedy.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ok. I broke out the digital protractor and shot the lower mounting surface on my 62. Then checked the top, they are within .5 degrees. Maybe closer, the top was hard to get a perfect surface to sit on. I did both sides, the same. And they are also vertical to the rear frame. Oh, but I put that in years ago so who knows how accurate that is LOL But yeah, they should be on the same vertical plane. JR

Do you have a digital protractor? If so shoot the lower, or upper and then the other. Whats the displacement??? Umm, do the same on your car. That should be really easy with the frame off.

Ok, I just did one more measurement. Fore and aft displacement of the mounts. I set up a vertical plane perpendicular to the vertical plane of "the car". I used the lower mounting pad for that cause it mimics the rest of the car for being "vertical. Then I took a measurement of both upper and lower mounts. The lower mount is 2-3/8" "shorter" in length (from the vertical plane) than the upper.

·
Banned
872 Posts
chassisworks

theres no attitude to it that just the way it is, it was clear to see what had to be done in my suituation and that was to use a floor jack and a 2x4 to raise the bars up so they would line up to the holes in the firewall .i told cw what it was going to take to raise them up and they agreed that i needed to use a jack and a 2x4. the tci clip down bars lined right up when i installed it on the same car before installing the cw clip.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
just my opinoin but try mounting it to the car starting with the main frame first the install the strut bar to gemini connector remember these are more of a support bar so with it being mocked up off the car the strut bars would sag a tad. :yes:

·
Banned
872 Posts
cw clip

Tighter tolerences on one clip would require the car to be more in correct alignment than vs. a clip that has looser tolerences.
that wasent the case here using tci clip, all the gaps on fenders to doors and hood where great, the gaps using the cw clip where the same also.when installing shims at the firewall on cw clip we had to put the car on jack stands under the front of the car just behind the firewall loosen all the bolts on the frame then push down on the front of the frame to get the shims behind the down bars at the firewall because the was so much pressure from the down bars pushing against the fire wall, it was a pain in the b_ _ t

·
Banned
872 Posts
cw clip

just my opinoin but try mounting it to the car starting with the main frame first the install the strut bar to gemini connector remember these are more of a support bar so with it being mocked up off the car the strut bars would sag a tad. :yes:
mine saged 1 3/4 on left said and 3/4 0n right side

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So its looking more like they are supposed to be parallel. (REMEMBER GUYS.. this is NOT about them being offset... it is obvious they are longer in length than the bottom frame flange. We talking about the angle of the flanges).
I think there is a slight chance a few bars were slightly over bent in the manufacturing process. Perhaps if I had a set from a different run I could compare. Or if CW has a few mock ups laying around they could just check.

If they are supposed to be parallel then TAKE THE CAR OUT OF THE EQUATION. Sitting on the floor mocked up they should line up. I am assuming one should not have to pry the strut bar up into position. This is only my opinion.

I've been having PM's back and forth with Mike (techguy) but we havent resolved or pin pointed anything yet. I wish he would participate in this thread so everyone can put our heads togther and come up with something.

As long as no one bashes anyone it SHOULD be a great tech thread to resolving an on going issue.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I actually am checking my jigs & my displays... even my real car display
seems to have a small amount of angle...

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool.... thanks for jumping in Mike.
If there is supposed to be a slight angle maybe some are more / less than others. Like we said in PM's... .001 of an inch down low makes a huge difference up top. Perhaps mine are just that making them look way off ?
I'd be willing to swap these for another set from a different run just for comparison. Or.. you can just do that at the shop and compare and give us feedback.

·
Vendor
4,058 Posts
I have my mock up "stock" front clip sitting on the fab table. It is square and level. In looking at the relationship between the lower mounting area and the upper that attaches to the top of the fire wall, there is definately an angle just as you describe in the top mounting location. If this is still under investigation by the time I get to the shop in the next day or so I will measure the angle of the top mounting location compared to the bottom.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts