Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to get the paint for my 74 underbody ordered and I’m struggling with the type/color decision. I have to go with a 2k coating because I’m spraying self etch primer everywhere I’m doing metal work. I have enough epoxy primer for the entire car anyways and will seal the underbody. I am considering a single stage urethane in a trim color, which will be dark, for the underbody, underhood, inner wiper cowl, dash, cage etc. The cars primary color will be a pearl white. The trim color will be a metallic grey or metallic black. Eastwood has a Cosmic Grey I like. I’m not certain that is the right approach (Cosmic Grey) for the chassis and underbody though. Eastwood offers a Ceramic chassis paint which looks and sounds appealing but the reviews are mixed and it’s more expensive. It’s a satin black color I think. In theory, it’s more durable but I’ve read that the single stage urethane over self etch and epoxy sealer is quite durable as well. Anyone with some experience in this arena have any good advise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pic from a customer review of the Eastwood Ceramic chassis paint. This review was very positive and the reviewer indicated he had sprayed several vehicles with it.

Pic of the Cosmic Grey single stage urethane paint from Eastwood.

·
5,143 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything form Eastwood, better stuff is available locally.
You might be able to leave your epoxy as the topcoat in areas not exposed to direct sunlight, check the tech sheets.
I use PPG EPX-900 series and if wanting to topcoat is use the PPG CPC AUE 100 or AUE300 series single stage.
This forum also has a search feature for times when the members aren't sitting at their computers waiting to respond to your post.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You a moderator or? I bet the only reason you even bothered to answer that post was so you could throw in your little barb. After all that, you couldn’t answer the question anyways. Thanks for nothing. Do me a favor an don’t bother replying to any of my posts in the future. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This forum has been dying/dead for about a year now. It seems everyone has moved to Facebook forums. It's a shame because this format is easier to follow along with builds and look up previous posts. Put your question on one of the many Nova, Chevy, Drag Racing, Pro Street Facebook forums and you will get aa dozen responses in minutes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think your color choice is really a matter of personal preference and there are several trains of thought. I think it's a good idea to paint everything under the car white so that any leaks show up clearly. If I had a heavily maintained vehicle, like a race car, that's the route I would go. However, I always paint chassis components satin black. Any single stage eurethane or enamel will work and can be touched up with a spray can from the hardware store. Contrary to popular belief, some people still like this site and use it regularly, including me!

·
5,143 Posts
You a moderator or? I bet the only reason you even bothered to answer that post was so you could throw in your little barb. After all that, you couldn’t answer the question anyways. Thanks for nothing. Do me a favor an don’t bother replying to any of my posts in the future. Appreciate it.

I gave you other options and tried to steer you from using Eastwood crap. Automotive paint is my careeer profession, I can suggest products that work and I did answer the only sentence you had that ended in a question mark. I can't tell you what color to choose.
You are correct, I should not have posted, I normally stay out when posters mention second rate paint materials.
This site is NPHNP, following that is how you get help.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I gave you other options and tried to steer you from using Eastwood crap. Automotive paint is my careeer profession, I can suggest products that work and I did answer the only sentence you had that ended in a question mark. I can't tell you what color to choose.
You are correct, I should not have posted, I normally stay out when posters mention second rate paint materials.
This site is NPHNP, following that is how you get help.
I don’t know what BPHNP means. And the question(s) were, in order: single stage urethane paint under a car? Is this site played out? Your answers were: part #’s and a snide comment like I expected someone to be waiting to reply to me. My expectation was that someone might help a guy out and throw some real world experience into the conversation. When the post laid there like a dead cat for 3 or 4 days, I asked a serious question.

As far as 2nd rate paint materials...your opinion is noted but carries little significance at this point.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think your color choice is really a matter of personal preference and there are several trains of thought. I think it's a good idea to paint everything under the car white so that any leaks show up clearly. If I had a heavily maintained vehicle, like a race car, that's the route I would go. However, I always paint chassis components satin black. Any single stage eurethane or enamel will work and can be touched up with a spray can from the hardware store. Contrary to popular belief, some people still like this site and use it regularly, including me!
Thanks for the info. Durability of single stage urethane was my primary concern.

I’m not saying I don’t like the site. I’ve got 9 years of work posted in here. I am noticing there are not many users posting. At least not like it used to be. Lets be honest, who wants to sit in an empty room and talk to themselves? Further, this post had to take a dive into douchery to get any play. I’m not interested in trashing the site or arguing with anyone, just looking for some help now and again. I won’t run when someone takes a swing at me either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Newer to the site. Gained a lot of knowledge and even though I have to wait a few days here and there for a response, I still for the most part get the advise I am searching for. I cant be much help on the above questions but do enjoy reading post about things I will have to tackle in the future. NPHNP = Nova People Helping Nova People.

TM

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update - I posted a question on Eastwood's site about using their urethane single stage paint under a car compared to their 2k chassis paint. There is a response that the chassis paint is far superior in durability. Not sure if that is from Eastwood or a site user. Anyone have experience with their 2k ceramic chassis paint?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I saw your post on reinforcing the front subframe, did you come up with a way to coat the inside of it? My biggest issues on my car isn’t external rust that you can see, but internal, hidden rust that is hard to deal with, without blowing my car apart.
I have only been a member here a short time, but it seems like most people are quite helpful and tolerate other opinions reasonably well. IMHO.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sprayed cold galvanize zinc paint as I welded it back together...I think. I’ll typically use self etch primer and just weld through it but in sometimes I’ll use the the zinc.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sorry, I haven’t bought anything from Eastwood, but I’ve saw their adds. They seem to be geared towards do-it-yourselfers and they have been around for years. There are a lot of different ways of doing about anything, and some work better in certain situations. The biggest strength of these sites is reading about the DIFFERENT ideas that other members have.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts