Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any pictures of the factory chassis grounds? My car was originally a 6 cylinder car, but one of the previous owners converted it to a small block.

The only chassis grounds I have is on the passenger side from the inner fender to the frame, and the strap is broken. So I bought a kit that has about 6 different length ground straps, but I'm having a hard time finding pictures of where they were from the factory.

I figure from each head to the firewall, each inner fender to the frame, and then block to frame. Any other spots that would be a good idea?

·
6,517 Posts
It seems to me in the assembly manual they show where the ground straps are at. I don't think it's all on one page in the manual but I don't have my manual here at work to check.

Anyway, on my 68, there is a ground strap from the passenger side subframe to the firewall base bushing area. This strap has the ends terminated in ring terminals on both ends:

There is also another from the valve cover bolt to the firewall face and I believe with a 6 cylinder there was only one but on the V8's there were two (one off each valve cover to two spots on the firewall face). This strap has the firewall end terminated in a ring terminal but the other end for the valve cover bolt is a forked terminal end:

Also on my 68, I seem to think I saw that there is to be a third one up by the radiator support to the subframe but I never have looked for this one or remember seeing it and if it's not there on mine it might have been removed, broken off, or possibly never installed on the assembly line. It's one of those things I still need to work on and see what's up.

Jim

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have aluminum heads and valve covers.

Would it be ok to connect them to the valve covers or should I try to go from the firewall to the block for a better connection?

I just went through my stuff and found the ground strap kit. I guess it does have instructions, lol.

Basically says what you did, one strap from passenger frame to firewall, one strap each from firewall to valve cover, and the last one from the passenger frame to inner fender.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Matt, on the SBC I have the ground straps are attached at the firewall and to the last header bolt on each side. This isn't a 'factory correct' location but it works.

Mike

·
6,517 Posts
Keep in mind that the ground straps are in place mostly for RF interference reduction (as well as some cars having static collectors under the front axle bearing cap covers).

On the main battery negative cable from the battery negative to the engine block, this large cable is in place to mostly handle the demands of the starter and then after that the alternator and then other sensors/setups such as the water temperature sender, oil pressure sender, idle solenoid, and so on on the engine/transmission assembly.

The next issue one needs to address is you also have other things from the firewall back that are grounded to the body of the car. The body then needs an electrical ground path back to the battery/alternator setup. Normally this is done by a small wire from the battery negative cable going to either the fender or the radiator support.

Issues can arise with poor ground connections such as a poor large cable ground from the battery to the engine. When this happens, the electricity will find other paths and sometimes you can actually melt and fuse a shifter cables outside sheathing to the inner cable.

Like others have said before you can never have too many grounds.

Put as many grounds as you like in place and make good solid electrical connections. Remember good mechanical connections might not give the best in an electrical connection. Paint, rust, and other things can limit the flow of power.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts