Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about ready to paint the bottom of the Nova. I see the words Chassis black used in various posts but when I have gone into the auto stores in town they do not have a product called exactly Chassis black. They show me the brand of black they sell to do a chassis.
I assume most are good but I would like to know what ones you guys have used and prefer.

Once I media strip the bottom to bare metal, is it best to prime first or can you apply the "Chassis black" to bare metal? If primer, which is best?

Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's made by Eastwood. Comes in Two finishes, and they sell seperate primer for it. I used it on my suspension with good results.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
It basically just a semi-gloss black enamel.
Yes for most paints you should prime it. Preference would be with an epoxy primer to seal the metal.

There are products like POR-15 and Rust Encapsulator that make a chassis black that should not be primed first.

I choose to use John Deere Blitz Black (tractor paint).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Would you be referring to Chassis Saver? If so you may want to look on line for a dealer near you. It comes in three different shades and also silver. I bought mine from a local automotive paint shop.

Scott

·
Registered
162 Posts
I also have used chassis saver with good results.....I brushed mine on...one tip is to wear rubber gloves and if you get some on you , make sure you wipe it off as soon as possible with laquer thinner.....If you dont it takes like 3 weeks to wear off

·
Registered
245 Posts
I debated that issue til I was dilerious, then found a spray on bedliner by Plasti-cote at Wal Mart for 7 bucks a can. After using a small propane torch and putty knife to remove the undercoating, I used a 4 inch angle grinder with a wire cup, then a knotted wire wheel to remove the residue and cleaned it with Eastwoods PRE. The bedliner went on without a hitch, coverage is great and it dries a nice semi gloss sheen. It worked so well that I am going to use it inside after I get the floor finished and cleaned up. Probably in the trunk too. Oh yea, I did spray the inside of the cowl with it too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
With an A-frame that has a piece of machine shaft for a top bar. A hoist with 1/4 inch chain, with a 3/8 chain looped over the bar and under the hook, with another 1/2 chain with a 7/16 bolt holding that looped under a piece of 1/4 inch angle iron bolted across the mounting pads in the firewall. I jumped on it, shook it, cursed at it and even took the tension off the hoist and it was all solid. Thanks for asking :yes:

As for the jackstands, I drew out a schematic on the floor where the arc of the body pivoted on the rear axle housing and placed them accordingly. When I raise the rear to do that part of the floor, I will have the front tires on it so it can pivot and roll and find it's own happy medium, then jack it up and rest them on ramps with safety catches.

The only problem I had was when I was taking it down, the second safety chain unreeled and broke my orginal windshield. That's when the cussing really got loud. :mad:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I debated that issue til I was dilerious, then found a spray on bedliner by Plasti-cote at Wal Mart for 7 bucks a can.
YEAH!!! Bout time I found some one else using the plasti-coat bed liner. I practically drink the stuff I use it so much. I used it on everything under the car, suspension parts, trunk area and floor pan. I will be covering up most of the inside parts (floor and trunk) with sound deadener but it makes for a nice temp. coating. The only thing is it has some NASTY solvent. It will eat into some primers if they arent cured completely, Ive have to scrape off some jobs and start over. Rushing it a lil too much, my fault. I love the stuff. JR

·
Registered
968 Posts
I used Eastwoods Ceramic Chassis Black Coating (Satin) on my front clip and am really happy with the looks.It took several tries to get it correct, but well worth the effort .

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Chassis black

Years ago (15?) I painted my truck frame with "chassis black", This crap was one step above tar, I keep my stuff clean and whenever any degreaser hit it, it would start to disolve and end up on the ground. Do your research!

·
Registered
67 Posts
i used duplicolor truck bed coating first and 3M Shutz undercoating on top of that. the 3M stuff is nice bc it's a nice texture and is not like that sticky crap in a can it also says it's a sound deadner.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just did the bottom of my 62 in chassie black and I love it because it is really strong I mean I let it sit for 1 day after putting it on then I had to pound up a spot and no chipping. The eastwood products are great. First you can put rust converter if you cant get rust out of some places (may not need if your going to strip the bottom of the car) then rust incapsulator which is another barrier against rust and then the chassie black. For 2 cans of each thing it was like $100 or so but deffinetly worth it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Underneath: POR15 and Rustoleum Professional Semi-Gloss black.

For the engine bay: sandblasted, marine clean, metal ready and PO15. Then Eastwood's Under Hood black. Looks awesome!

DW

1 - 20 of 23 Posts