Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my whole front end apart this week and am working on cleaning up the engine bay. I want to remove the charcoal canister and I am wondering what to do with the vent line that runs from the tank up to the engine bay? I dont think I can just plug it, so what are my other options?

·
3,862 Posts
Block it off and use a vented gas cap. Hang on to the parts though. If you ever want to convert to EFI it will provide a better vent than the cap.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
on a 73 the tank was changed to provide an air space for the expansion of fuel. It would be better to retain the vent tube by using differential vent on a piece of hose. It will allow the tank to vent and keep dirt out and also allow the use of the stock cap. Not sure there is a screw in type cap with a vent.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
on a 73 the tank was changed to provide an air space for the expansion of fuel. It would be better to retain the vent tube by using differential vent on a piece of hose. It will allow the tank to vent and keep dirt out and also allow the use of the stock cap. Not sure there is a screw in type cap with a vent.
I have always left my vent line and just turn it downward a bit and leave it with my factory or stock gas cap.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My vent line is capped in the engine bay, and my gas cap is non-vented. This has never been a problem for all the years it's been this way, and there is never any noticeable "vacuum" in the tank when I remove the cap.

I do have that extra "canister" in the trunk, which might help with this. I'm not sure which years/models received this provision though.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
My vent line is capped in the engine bay, and my gas cap is non-vented. This has never been a problem for all the years it's been this way, and there is never any noticeable "vacuum" in the tank when I remove the cap.

I do have that extra "canister" in the trunk, which might help with this. I'm not sure which years/models received this provision though.
Same here. I capped mine off when I was a teen, not even knowing what it was. I took everything out of the engine bay that didn't make the car quit running. Never had a problem with the vent line being plugged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts